Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

fte brag box

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
fte brag box

Hi,
A club I was in once had a "brag box" . You'd throw in a buck and brag about some minor thing that you'd done. Maybe we could try that here ( trust me on the buck )

I have one (good only for the "fumble fingered " class).

Anyway, I have an old Kohler lawn vac engine that has issues, and I needed to take the fan blade off. The engine is a K91T, and the blade had been on for forty years or more.

My neighbor helped me find the setscrew, but removing that really didn't do anything, so I needed a puller. Fortunately there were 2 holes in the reinforcement in the back of the blade and there was a 3/8 -24 in the end of the crank holding it on ( like it needed that).

I managed to get it started a tiny bit with a longer bolt, some steel bars and some nuts and bolts to go through the back plate. A little tricky since at first I could just wedge the head of a bolt into the holes because it was so close to the sheet metal. Eventually I got it out far enough to so that I could get some nuts and washers back there and thread the bolts into them.

Now I was out of thread on my 3/8-24 crank bolt. The longest that I could find was a a 2 inch hex cap screw with full thread. Maybe some places have full length thread fine bolts, but I couldn't find any.

So, here's my brag. I got a full threaded coarse bolt and ran it backwards through a socket. I put the socket over the head of the bolt in the crank, and used a nut on the coarse threaded bolt to wedge up the steel bars. I had to use a few different length bolts in the crankshaft, but finally it came off. (It took a lot more screwing around than I'm mentioning )

About halfway through, I did think that possibly I could have gotten a die and made a longer thread on a bolt for the crankshaft, but I've never done that.

So that's my story. Maybe a few others would like to add their brags.

hj

Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
So a piece of all thread and a couple of nuts was out of the question?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's rare to find extra fine all-thread, and it's expensive when you can get it.
I just finished clearing a new road to the back half of my property today, now I need to finish the bridge for the creek and drag it into place. I need about 10-12 yards of gravel but the money just isn't here for that right now. Maybe in the spring things will be better.