1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Anyone ever used Herculiner??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to paint my truck in the next few weeks, after i do so, i want to put a bedliner in, however, i dont really like the plastic ones 'cause they're so slick, 'specially when wet, and i dont want a rubber one, cause it doesnt cover the entire bed. So i want to get a spray on, or a roll on, now sure, i would love to have a Rhino liner, but i dont really wanna spend that kinda money. So what do you think of a roll on? Like Herculiner? How difficult are they to put on? How well do they protect, and are they worth the cash?? How soon does the grit wear off? I do use the bed moderatly, but i dont usually haul abbrasive loads, ie... lawnmower, bagged top soil, sod, ect... Thanks Guys

Old 05-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Dan0368
New User

I herculined my 96 Ranger back around Easter Weekend. Now the kit costs around $100, but you're going to have to buy parts too, ie roller pan, additional brushes, acetone, and in my case, sandpaper.

It is a full day's work, that's one thing for sure. We ripped off my plastic bedliner, and after sweeping it out, we got out the mouse and belt sander and wore that sucker done. The kit gives you a stupid dishwashing sponge to prep your bed with. You'll be much better off using sanders, just make sure you don't go down to the metal. After that, we cleaned every square inch using acetone. Finally, we were ready to start. Make sure it's going to be a relatively-warm day (at least 60's) and no sign of rain. The first coat took 3-5 hours to dry completely, then I started up the second. Overall I'm very pleased with it. I haven't had it long enough to say when it'll start to wear off, but my brother's is about 3 years old and there's some spots where you can see the bed. It's all about prepping it.

It's not as good as spray on, but it feels good to do it yourself (and of course to save the couple hundred).

Old 05-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Believe it or not, there is a great Tech Article on the subject composed by none other than Ken the webmaster! Check it out:

Herculiner Tech Article

Also, here are some threads to read:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...=%2Bherculiner

Old 05-26-2003, 05:43 PM
audiovaughn
New User

This stuff is great! I did two coats with the kit on my '95 2.3L extended cab Ranger. No one can tell I did it. They ask where I got it done.

Old 05-26-2003, 07:33 PM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BIL did it to his truck, and it seemed to fade easily after a couple of years and he had to touch it up a couple of times where it got gouged up.

My spray in seems to be holding up much better than his, But I also paid a lot more for it. YMMV

Old 05-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster

Hey everybody, thanks for responding. Okay, the toss-up is between "RustOleum Road Warrior", "Herculiner" and a "Dupli-Color" coating. What do you guys think? Prices Herculiner...$65 Rust-Oleum...$39.50 Dupli-Color...$39.50 Has anybody used any of the other ones? I would love to hear what you guys have to say about them. Do they fade much? From the links posted ealier, it seems that the Herculiner will fade, but nobody mentions the Rust-Oleum fading? And ive heard nothing about the Dupli-Color, has ANYBODY used this? How does the grit hold up on all these? How thick is it on the bottom of the bed?? Thank you everybody, i really appreciate it.

Rbraughn... What kind did your bil use? Overall, what are his thoughts? I haul a little bit, but nothing really abrasive. Thanks.

Audiovaughn... did you use Herculiner or Rust-Oleum?

Dan... Do you think that the prep work was what is wrong w/ ur brothers? Or do you think this would be common??

P.S. if ANYBODY has any pictures of any of these products applied on ANY truck, i would really love to see them. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2003, 07:26 PM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traxxis,

He used Herculiner. He seems to like it enough that he has done it to his 2nd vehicle. He puts it on fairly thick also.

I personally like my spray in better. Mine has much more texture and hasn't faded at all after 1 1/2 years.

I would rather have the Herculiner than a plastic drop-in or none at all, thats for sure.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:27 PM
audiovaughn
New User

I used the Herculiner kit, the one gallon can was enough for two coats. The kit just rolls on with a textured rolled. The paint itself has little bits of rubber or something for texture. It looks just like the Spray in "Professional" liners at a third of the cost. It was about 3 hours of work, one in prep, and one for each coat. Well worth the time and more than worth the money saved. I would steer clear of the Spray can style of bedliner. It will not come out as durable. I had my doubt about the Herculiner, but if I had it to do again, it would deffinately be Herculiner.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:31 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts

I used the Duplicolor system on the interior of my Bronco and like it a lot. I rolled it in, looks nice. I bought an aerosol can and did my back bumper, it looks like it is powder coated!

Old 06-13-2003, 09:28 PM
phantom22
Junior User

I was going to get a spray/roll on bed liner,until I asked my dealer if it would ruin the warrenty. It does! It appears that the metal in your bed must move-flex-breathe. So if you are under warrenty, stay away from these bed liners....

Old 06-14-2003, 12:33 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

I can't understand what he's talking about. None of the roll or spray on type liners would keep the metal from moving or flexing, they are flexible products. And as far as the metal breathing, why do they bother painting it then? Oh yeah, because it stops it from rusting! Did he offer to sell you some kind of liner that was "approved" under the warranty?

Old 06-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a little confused, too. I've seen some dealerships offer spray-in liners as an after-factory option. And I've never heard of 'breathing" concerns.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:27 AM
01RangerSC
Junior User

Originally posted by phantom22
I was going to get a spray/roll on bed liner,until I asked my dealer if it would ruin the warrenty. It does! It appears that the metal in your bed must move-flex-breathe. So if you are under warrenty, stay away from these bed liners....
I'd hafta call B.S. on this one!!Sounds as if he's full of it. I work for a dealer and I've never saw anything about this issue. Ask him to show it to you in writing where it voids the warranty. If he can't find another dealer. Just my .02

Old 06-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster

lol, ya, that does sound a little crazy man. Well, i havent done it yet, i havent even had a chance to start preping the truck to paint it. Ill get you guys some pics of her though when im done... okay, lol.... poll......

Just type Herculiner, or Road Warrior... and im gonna tally them up, cause it seems that they are the general consencious. Im just gonna buy the one that gets the most votes. Thanks everyone.....
Stan

Old 06-14-2003, 08:16 PM
phantom22
Junior User

In response to 01RangerSC, Why would I make this stuff up. The next time your in Houston TX, stop by Lone Star Ford on I-45. It is true that you can option a spray in bed liner, but you warrenty is void if it is done by anyone other than the original dearler.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever used Herculiner??