Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E4OD vs ZF5

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD vs ZF5

I currently have a C6 with a manual valve body in my 89 F350 4wd NA 7.3. It sucks, and if I'm ever gunna get good milage and peformance, that C6 needs to go. So I'm planning ahead so I can look for opportunities to buy what I need cheap. Cost being a big issue I'll need to stick with factory stuff and will probably track down a run down/junk/wrecked truck with the parts I need.

That said I can't make up my mind, as I see it I really have 2 options that I can manage, ZF5 or E4OD? I need your input.

I know your gunna say "well what do you like to drive an auto or manual" I really don't know, both have there upsides. Manual gives me more control and is very KISS which I really like. But I also don't wanna have to shift all the time and would prefer my arm around my woman not on the shifter all the time.

So I gotta look at the costs, risks, durability etc to help me decide.

So a ZF5 I figure good chances most I'll find in run down/junk trucks will still be usable. But not worth installing without buying a new clutch $$$? A lot will depend on what I find and buy of course. If I find just the tranny and related parts I understand my T-case and drivelines will likely work with it as the ZF5 is about the same length as the C6 yes/no?

An E4OD odds I'll find one in good working order in a run down/junk truck that is worth the risk of installing as is? What is likely will be needed to get it installed and working well? I know I'll need the wiring harness, computer, FIPL etc. It's I would assume consederably longer so I would need drivelines from the same truck?

Long term, the ZF5 will get metter mileage, how much better ya think?

The only real weak link in running the ZF5 is the clutch yes? Longevity, abuse, torque etc the stock form will take? Upgrades I should just do first if I go that route? I understand the E4OD in most of it's stock forms is rather weak, stock generations/versions that are stronger to look for?

I hope you get an idea what I'm after and trying to figure out, thanks ahead of time.

Edit; I wrote all this up and it's making me lean more ZF5. I really don't want to worry about all the many things that can go wrong with an E4OD, without sinking a lot of money in it. Or am I wrong in thinking that way? Hell maybe I'll luck out and find a cheap SD with a ZF6 in it.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Opossum
I currently have a C6 with a manual valve body in my 89 F350 4wd NA 7.3. It sucks, and if I'm ever gunna get good milage and peformance, that C6 needs to go. So I'm planning ahead so I can look for opportunities to buy what I need cheap. Cost being a big issue I'll need to stick with factory stuff and will probably track down a run down/junk/wrecked truck with the parts I need.
that's as far as you need to go.forget the pro's and cons of each.
the zf5 is the trans for you.major upgrade over the c6,so don't even think twice about it.just get 'er done.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
ZF5, youll have the added hassle of installing a clutch pedal and shifter but lot more dependable and less electronics to worry about, also more likley to find one that doesnt need a rebuild.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
^^^ Agree. I loved my E4OD but if doing a swap I'd go manual as well to avoid having to cut out the factory wiring harness and control module for the auto (I tried, it's a nightmare). You could use a standalone controler and harness, but unless you score big on good used stuff that could easily turn into a one-grand project.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
I went c6 to ZF5, and I woulld suggest going with the ZF over the e4od. No electronics and the cost of rebuilding an auto is...you dont want to do it.

Youll need a manual pedal assem from a 87-91 truck, the ZF5, clutch master and slave which can be bought for about 160 brand new, flywheel and clutch which cost me about 600 through LuK, and a floorpan out of a OBS ford with a standard shift hole in it.

Oh and if your 4x4, the c6 transfer case linkage is prolly differnt. If the ZF5 you buy has it all your peachy. Oh and I had to lengthen my primary drive shaft a lil, the C6 is shorter than the ZF5. Not a bad swap if you have the proper parts and tools on hand. good luck

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
OK OK so ZF5 it is, a lot from here will depend on what I find. So that leads to the next question, 2wd version vs 4wd version? Can/How to make a 2wd version work with my transfer case. I think I'd like a divorced 205 but if I can make what I have work and save $$ I will.

Second question, are there any important variations in the ZF5 between the years and models?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Ohh yeah and seeing as I need a flywheel, clutch etc 6.9 stuff vs 7.3? Can/Should use a 6.9 flywheel and clutch?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Im pretty sure 1996-1997 of the ZF5 was the s47 which had a granny 1st gear. 96 back was the s42 without granny, which is what I have, I like it but Iv never driven a s47 equipped truck so cant compare.

Not sure on the clutch situation, I used Luk's SMF and clutch for a 6.9. Im not sure about the differences and interchangability of the 6.9/7.3

Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
As far as I know, either version could be had with either the granny gearing, or not. I think it was application specific, and I don't know anymore than that...

You could use the 2wd version with a divorced transfer case, it would most likely be more work to fabricate the required mounts, and driveshaft lengths would be custom ($$)

Also, in case you didn't know, the 2wd F-450 and F-superduty used a 4x4 ZF5 with a parking brake bolted on the rear instead of the transfer case. Remove the parking brake, and bolt on a standard Ford transfer case (BW 1356 or equivalent).

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ill keep an eye out for you. No diesels out at pick-n-pull tacoma right now, I was just out there yesterday.

Here is a dude on CL with one... I have a DMF clutch kit ill let go dirt cheap as well.
Turbo Diesel F350 XLT extended cap

Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Ill keep an eye out for you. No diesels out at pick-n-pull tacoma right now, I was just out there yesterday.

Here is a dude on CL with one... I have a DMF clutch kit ill let go dirt cheap as well.
Turbo Diesel F350 XLT extended cap
Thanks man, but wow that guy is asking a lot.

I'll PM ya about the clutch, but I'm not in a hurry, I got a few things to deal with first.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do go e4od you'll need a aftermarket computer. It's easier than trying to put in the factory harness.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Both the diesel and gas ZF-42s 4x2 and 4x4 have granny first. The diesel trans have a 4.14 1st & 3.79 rev. The gas trans has a 5.72 1st & 5.24 reverse. I only use first in my truck when taking off on a hill or when I have a couple thousand+ in the bed. I usually start in 2nd empty just driving around.

And the 4x2 ZF5 won't fit a transfer case without changing out the tailhousing, it has a driveshaft yoke end at the back (except for the F-Superduty which is mentioned above). Where the 4x4 has a completely different tailhousing that bolts to the transfer case.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ArMAgeDDoN_PoB
And the 4x2 ZF5 won't fit a transfer case without changing out the tailhousing, it has a driveshaft yoke end at the back (except for the F-Superduty which is mentioned above). Where the 4x4 has a completely different tailhousing that bolts to the transfer case.
Maybe I misunderstood what the OP said... To use a 2wd ZF5, you'd need to use a divorced transfer case with a shorty driveshaft coming off the yoke. Other wise you'd have to rebuild the whole thing with a 4x4 mainshaft and tailhousing.

Sooo either find a 4x4 ZF5 (which includes the F-Superduty) or get a 2wd AND swap to a divorced transfer case.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Bob_Smith
Senior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Maybe I misunderstood what the OP said... To use a 2wd ZF5, you'd need to use a divorced transfer case with a shorty driveshaft coming off the yoke. Other wise you'd have to rebuild the whole thing with a 4x4 mainshaft and tailhousing.

Sooo either find a 4x4 ZF5 (which includes the F-Superduty) or get a 2wd AND swap to a divorced transfer case.
No idea if you misunderstood anything or not, I'm just very familiar with the tailhousing & driveshaft setup on mine as I've been after a driveshaft for mine for awhile so I just added what I knew.

Quick Reply: E4OD vs ZF5