Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Steering Column Problems

Old 05-23-2003, 09:11 PM
MissKady
New User
MissKady is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering Column Problems

We have a problem. Went to start the `90 F150 XLT, and the tumbler turned, but didn't turn the gearing and the truck won't start, the hubby tore apart the steering column to find, a little half moon that attaches to the rod that runs the top of the column is broke, no one at the dealership knows what we are talking about, and we need to get this truck on the road asap. Does anyone know what the said part is called, and we have a `89 F250 Lariat out back can we use the part off that, if so is there a way that we can get it off without dropping the whole steer column. A drawing of the steering column would really help if anyone has one.....

Old 05-23-2003, 09:42 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
steve83 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering Column Problems

That pic came from this site.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:59 PM
MissKady
New User
MissKady is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering Column Problems

Ok, now I think the part is called the lower actuator!! Thanks for the pic, however it is of a colomn with "column shift." My truck is a 5 speed with the shifter on the floor. The column is adjustable. How do I get the Lower actuator out of the little housing that its in?? Is there a way to the the housining apart?? The actuator is freed from the ignition rod and moves around but absolutely will not come out. I've given it my best for better than an hour so I've studied the situation. Please help!

Old 05-23-2003, 10:57 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Steering Column Problems

You have to disassemble the top of the steering column one piece at a time, and it's a PITA. Especially pulling the tilt pins because the tilt spring is pushing HARD and will shoot you in the face if you're not careful. You have to screw a couple of hardened screws into the tilt pins, then pull them like corks while holding the top of the column so it doesn't twist and break. Then those pieces just fall out, so you have to watch carefully so you can put them back in right. Tilt the column fully UP before you start to relieve most of the pressure from the spring.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Bubba Shrimp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering Column Problems

Steve83: you showed a blown up picture of the steering column and posted a link to the site where you got the picture. I went to the site and the picture was much smaller and when I tried to blow it up it got all fuzzy and I couldn't see the detail. How did you get that picture blown up so nice and clear?

Old 05-26-2003, 07:28 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Steering Column Problems

I am also having problems with the ignition cylinder/ steering column. You have to have the ignition key just right or it won't turn, plus you can move the steering wheel side to side about 1/2" in either direction. It doesn't have any play up and down. Someone told me that there were three bolts in there that you could tighten to get rid of the play, but I don't see them. We got the tumbler out of the truck, but it seems to work good when it's out. We have tried to take the steering column apart but can't figure out how to do it and the book we have is no help. We did get the turn signal switch off and the outer housing off and that's about it. This doesn't have tilt.

I was thinking it might be easier to go to a junk yard and get another steering column, but I can't figure out how to get this one out. Also, does anyone know what years would be compatable? This is a 1991 F150 with automatic transmission on the column.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this back on the road asap.

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 05-26-2003 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:48 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Steering Column Problems

It sounds like your browser is causing the fuzzy problem - I don't know enough about it to tell you how to fix it, though. That image is coming straight from that site - I just linked it.

For the slop, look in that diagram at the "Allen screw retainer assembly (3 required)" and find them on yours. There's also a shim on the steering shaft IMMEDIATELY behind the steering wheel that might be the cause, but I'm not sure if non-tilt columns have it.

If you find you have to replace it, you can use any pre-'92 column with shifter, but you should probably stick to '87-91 for the easiest swap. Just pull the crossbolt that connects the column to the intermediate shaft beside the brake booster, the firewall adapter ring (~6 bolts), the 2 bolts on the aluminum breakaway mount, and the ignition & turn signal connectors, and the column will come right out. It's one of the easiest major assemblies on the truck to swap.

Old 05-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru
Steering Column Problems

I see the three screws that you are talking about but don't see how to get to the back side of them with an allen wrench. I'm going to hit the salvage yards tomarrow and see if I can't just buy a used column.

I was trying to blow up the image with some graphics software. I didn't realize you could just click on it. Now it looks fine.

I've been looking for the repair manual on cd for my truck and can find 1992 but no 1991. Can you point me to a place where I can get the right manual.

Thanks a lot for the help you've given me.

Old 05-26-2003, 01:29 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Steering Column Problems

AFAIK, Ford/Helm never made a CD for pre-'92 vehicles - only paper for the old ones. You might find the books on eBay or direct from Helm, but there's not a WHOLE lot of difference between your '91 and '92-95. A CD for those years will cover MOST of the stuff on your truck.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
JohnnyO88Bronco
New User
JohnnyO88Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Steve ! ! ! ! Long Long Time no Talk - I believe about 5-6yrs I was in Plano, Tx... I purchased a set of factory rims for my 88 Bronco from you.

That photo you posted... Can you post it again ? The link seems to be broken after all this time.

JohnnyO !