Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb conversion questions(1966tbird help me)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb conversion questions(1966tbird help me)

i have an 88f150 that i have done alot of stuff to and im wanting to go carbed,i hate efi on these trucks,i want someone that has done all this before and can tell me everything that i need to do it,the main thing i need to know is how to hook up the tv cable.i know how to do the rest,but im wandering can the intake pumps work,or do i need a good regulator to bring the efi pressure down to carb pressure,im not wanting to dump 500 in this,i have alot of it layin around already and can get the rest pretty cheap.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
i forgot to say its a 302 with an aod,im fed up with efi and its not a daily driver so i dont care about mpg's i just want it to be simple without all the bull**** sensors and everything else involved with it.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
anyone have any advice

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Bandit102
New User
Bad idea all around, I think. You will NOT be able to kill the fuel pressure with any regulators that I know of enough to feed that carb. Why are you wanting to do this?
As for the TV cable, just take a look at an older (80-85) Ford LTD or something of the sort at a junk yard. All you need to know should be right there.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
they actually make a regulator to do this but its over 100,its on summits website its a bypass regulator and i know the intake pumps are low pressure but does anyone know how much,im just tired of efi,i have a 89 mustang and i have replaced every sensor on it and about evry 6 months im replacing them again,i just hate how the fuel injection is on these trucks and cars,i just want two main things that could be wrong,fuel and spark,with efi u have 1000 things that could be wrong.i didnt think about looking at older model vehicles,anyone know wut all came with aod's that were carbed?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
any help is appreciated

Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Bandit102
New User
Just about all the bigger cars of that 1980 to 1985 vintage - LTD's, Grand Marquis, Town Cars. Mustangs. Pickups with the 302. Broncos.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
anyone have anymore info

Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
RJG1987
Senior User
whats actually wrong with the truck that you wanna go carbed? best of luck

Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
i just want the ease of the carb and im tired of the same ol thing with the efi,i hate looking at all of it,it makes the truck ugly under the hood,and like i said i dont care about mpg's and all of that stuff,i want something that needs two main things to run,fuel and spark,not o2sensors,eec,map sensor and all that efi b.s

Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yo sorry i took so long lol just caught the title, yeah use a bypass fuel pressure regulator, i am using a mallory regulator. i used the stock tv cable bracket and modified the sh! t out of it lol cut it in half then stacked the throttle cable holder thingie above the tv cable holder then welded it together and made a bolt hole so it bolts to the carb, you need to buy a aod holley tv cable thingie (sorry forget the name) you can get it on ebay it bolts to the throttle linkage on your holley and lets you put a tv cable on it. to adjust the tv cable hold the throttle wide open then make it so your tv cable is in the wide open position and that's about where it should be. you will need a distributor, don't get an hei even though they are cheap they suck (hard to curve since you can't buy springs & bushings for most of them) you have to buy an offset aircleaner base to run one on a 302. oh you have to use -6an lines off your fuel filter to the regulator and then -6an or 3/8ths hard line back to the tank from your regulator.

here is a link to another thread i think i described it better in https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8095327

i had a bunch of crap sitting around as well and did it for well under 500, all i needed to buy was the fuel lines and the dissy

and PS: it is soooo worth it to get rid of that speed density fuel injection, i know carbs arn't good for rock crawling or highspeed cornering but you think an f-150 will be any good for rock crawling or generate enough g-force to starve a holley lol

if you need any more help just post here now that i am subscribed i'll do my best to help you out

Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 AM
mrfix71
Junior User
My '88 F350 was pretty messed up under the hood. With the help of schematics, I pulled all of the emissions and computer junk out, plugged the air injection ports, swapped out the inline fuel pump for a generic lower pressure one, found a junk yard carb intake, Holley carb, new throttle cable, connected the linkage, and she runs great!

It was too far gone to replace the OEM stuff under the hood.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
well i have done alot of stuff to this truck,it has a 95 ho motor in it with an ecam,i rewired it to mass air using a foxbody a9p computer,it has some good power i kept the stock truck efi intake,i hate to just do away with all the hard work i have done to it,but im gonna try a couple more things and if it dont work im done with the efi on it,it wont idle right its running too rich at idle,but right now i have only one 02sensor hooked up going to both inputs on the computer,so im gonna have two sesnors put in in the exhaust pipes themselves,since the ones on these trucks are between the pipes,if that dont help my idle and the other problems,i have a tuner and thinking about buying a moates quaterhorse to datalog with,i have three vehicles this stuff will work with so no lose on buying it,the tuner i have now im gonna mess with the maf transfer table and see if i can get it to idle better,but hopefully the two sensors will help it out alot,and one more thing is it has no thermostat in it,i know thats not helping it but i havent had time to put one in it yet.i like efi dont get me wrong but both of my vehicles i have done basic mods to never run like everyone else's,im also getting an msd box and stronger coil for the truck,and i have been thinking about getting some of those e3 spark plugs,maybe i can get it all worked out,cuz i spent a lil while rewiring the harness and it makes me proud i did all of that and it runs,i guess its custom since i did it lol.ill keep everyone posted how everything turns out,im waiting for some one chamber flowmasters i ordered to get here and then its off to the muffler shop for them and the new sensor bungs to be put in.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nah don't get the e3 plugs i have seen with my own eyes a 650hp camaro loose horsepower with them vs regular spark plugs on a chassis dyno with back to back runs i forget the exact hp that was lost but it was under 15 and i don't really know the specs of the motor, it's my buddy's car and i didn't build it or help build it.

yeah i really wish you luck with your fuel injection problems, if i were you i would take it and get it dyno tuned and let the tuner mess with it, probably be cheaper than buying a tuner, and that way you get different tunes say one for strip one for street one for mud or something like that

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
rebelcowboy50
Freshman User
well i always heard they were good plugs,i saw a deal on horsepower tv where they made more power,wierd,lol.i dont have the money for a dyno tune and there arent any places here local that do it,i would have to drive like 300 miles to dallas, and they charge like 500,i have a basic,old *** tuner called an eec tuner,i mainly got it to get rid of the smog and egr stuff in the eec.

Quick Reply: carb conversion questions(1966tbird help me)