Oxygen injection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oxygen injection?

I know this forum is not for truck tech but this question is about automobiles in general no one brand or engine type or whatever.

I wanted to know if anyone knew why my plan wouldn't work. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it so I bet there's a good reason why this isn't common but I can't think of any.

I want to put straight Oxygen injuction on a rig. I was thinking I would have to do a fuel injected rig because you would lean out a carbeurated vehicle by injecting straight O2 into the air cleaner. That or you would be way too rich the rest of the time. A computer controlled EFI setup can change the amount of fuel being injected right??

So if you just took an O2 cylinder and hooked it up to a regulator and from there with low pressure through a solenoid straight to the air intake. Just have a switch for the solenoid and you could experiment with the pressure setting and work your way up gradually.

So tell me why it won't work Like I said I'm sure there's a reason.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen injection?

OPkay, one oxygen, while in itself is not flammable, it supposts combustion, in an oxygen rich enviroment, even the most fire retardent material will burn, and burn hot, the fire can also grow up to 5 times faster in an oxygen rich enviroment.

two pure O2 is not the best thing to pressurize, in order for it to work properly, you would need to store it in liquid form, and that meens almost -200 deg Farenheit. In order to do that you will need a Cryrotainer, I.E. a perfectly selad metal container filled with LOX (liquid oxy) and that container must be sealed in a vaccum metal container, becasue of te temp diff and to keep the LOX container from blowing up due to press increase in an area with room temperature, or stored in a vehicle in 100 degree temp i.e. summer time.

LOX containers are always building pressure, you need to be able to dump this pressure, so would need a vent, it would have to be set outside the vehicle. inside and you would have an oxy rich enviro.

When dealing with LOX you need to be in full leather or at lest 3 layers of clothes, -200 degrees will burn your skin off. And the enviroment it is in would have to be completely grease and oil free, along with the tools you use. Special connections and metals are needed to prevent breaking under the stress of intense cold.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:28 PM
79Lariat
Senior User
Oxygen injection?

Pure oxygen produces too much heat when burned with gasoline(read melted pistons and valves). They use nitrous oxide because with the two parts oxygen there is one part nitrogen, which is an inert gas, that helps keep the temp. at a less destructive level.

Last edited by Ford_Six; 05-23-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:35 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oxygen injection?

The "oxygen" used for cutting torches is just air, which is ~78% Nitrogen and only ~18% Oxygen. Nitrous oxide is NOT inert - it's a different chemical from molecular Nitrogen, and reacts similarly to Oxygen.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Oxygen injection?

Liquid oxygen is also a rocket fuel that is used in the space shuttle. Why would you want to be an astronaut? It's a neat idea, but way too troublesome for our world. My $.02

Old 05-23-2003, 12:06 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oxygen injection?

Exactly, the oxygen created heat. This is why your torch burns thru metal, just like it will your pistons and such when injected into the engine. Nitrous oxide is not a highly flammable substance, it makes the fuel mixture in the cylinder burn faster. This is why you must retard the timing and add extra fuel when using it. I have used it for years. So has alot of Dentist. The only difference is that the NOS for the public, has sulfer added to keep people from huffing it. Jimmy

Old 05-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Oxygen injection?

Wrtong again, Nitrous oxide, or N02, It is more stable than pure o2, and is alot easier to store, now then, when you heat nitrous, the nitrogen and oxide parts seperate creaing 1 part N2 to 2 parts O2. Because of this, and the mixture of atmospheric air in the chamber, it does not burn as hot as running pure 02, you have contaminents, you would have less contaminents, and it would burn hotter if you used pure O2,

plus the trouble of running O2 would not be worth it, besides the expense, the risk, you also am going to have constant upkeep, oxygen components go bad often, they like to freeze, seals leak, metal breaks. You would need heat exchangers, pressure blow by valves, it just ain't worth it.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:45 AM
79Lariat
Senior User
Oxygen injection?

I can't comment any more, it's just not worth it.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:07 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Oxygen injection?

I wasn't talking about running pure O2. I'm talking about injecting a small amount of pure O2 into the intake starting at maybe 4 or 5 psi so that it simply supplements the O2 level in the incoming air. Then slowly increasing the psi to check the effects. All I wanna do is get more (Not pure) O2 into the charge. Like a cold air intake but more controllable.

And by intake I mean that plastic tube running into the metal intake manifold.

Last edited by RRMike; 05-25-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Oxygen injection?

There are a couple of things to think about- number one, beyond psi, volume. The largest tank I'd want to permanently mount in my truck would be a 60cf one, and you loose a bit of cargo space at that. At 4-5psi, you would be running about 6cf/h, which means that a tank would only last about 10 hours of driving time. Number two, safety. These things are about 3,000+psi when fully charged, and heavy. What would happen in an accident? There is a very real possibility that the neck could be snapped off of it, then you wind up with a missile flying around. There really isn't a way to protect the neck while hoses are hooked up. Lastly, there is the computer issue. While the computer may be able to compensate for extra air, it may not be able to compensate for extra oxygen in that air. Given the computer is seeing the same volume of air as before, it wouldn't know what to do with the O2s readings. I don't want to discourage you, it sounds feasible with a car set up specifically for that purpose, but to go and retrofit something like that into an existing car, I don't think any gains you would see, be it in hp, mileage, etc, would be worth it.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:20 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Oxygen injection?

I think the O2 sensor in the exhaust is used for the purpose of determining if it's too lean along with the mas. This is speculation on my part.

I would mount a small bottle securely to the frame or somewhere besides the passenger compartment. I know I need to figure out a way to protect the top of the bottle where the regulator will mount.

Also I'm not interested in using the O2 all the time. Just for a boost of power once in a while or while going up hills towing or reasons like that. Passing maybe the occasional chebbie

I'm still researching the idea and have no immediate plans or even a vehicle of the kind I would need. I'm just getting opinions from a group of knowledgeable people.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:13 AM
millertime300
Senior User
Oxygen injection?

This is really amazing.
First look how the NOS guys do it. They have a solenoid for NO2 and one for fuel, to cover the lean condition. You would need bigger fuel jets in you solenoids, or smaller jets in your NOS/O2 solenoids. The only difference is that O2 will be more reactive then NOS, but will act exactly the same.
Oh, and that liquid oxygen stuff is funny.
NOS guy use a bottle heater sometimes. ()V electric blanket)

Old 06-25-2003, 03:25 AM
CMR369
New User
Oxygen injection?

A couple of things:

1. O2 Reacts very violently when in the presence of a petroleum product. Hence using pure O2 in any engine with either oil or gasoline / deisel would be very bad.

2. O2 can and is stored in small tanks that can be secured in an ordinary fire extinguisher bracket. I use them all time in my profession (Paramedic). Now obviously I am used to using Medical Grade O2, which would reqire a prescription to obtain legally.

3. O2 is measured in a liters per minute flow volume. I have run big "M" sized cylinders empty (full when started) without the cylinder icing.

4. LOX (Liquid O2) is a whole different animal, and requires special handling as mentioned above. This would be a suicidal option.

5. If you did decide to run the O2 into either the cold air intake or directly into the plenium, you run the risk of blowing your pistons through the block, or possibly blowing up the entire truck and yourself (very bad for you ..... but would make for an interesting call for me)

Old 06-26-2003, 03:47 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Oxygen injection?

CMR369 I think for you it is a good idea for peole to try this....job security man, job security.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:46 AM
73Galaxie
Junior User
Oxygen injection?

Besides, we might catch the phyrotechnic festivities on Max X or Real TV!!

Quick Reply: Oxygen injection?