Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??????

Ok, as some of you know I rebuilt my turbo last week. When I first installed it I had an oil leak on the pedestal.
Today I pulled the turbo replaced the o rings (old ones looked fine, no pinches) reinstalled turbo and it's still leaking oil from between the turbo and the pedestal.
I pulled and reinstalled the turbo 4 times today & still have the same leak! (not as bad as the first leak, but still dripping)
I even tried my spare pedestal, and same drip....drip....drip....drip from under the turbo.

I deleted the ebpv from one pedestal thinking the leak was coming from the rod, but after pulling the turbo, the only oil I can see is all over the top of the pedestal.
I torqued the turbo to 18ft lbs like the instructions say..

I'm about to go redneck and break out the RTV...

Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the hold down bolts should be 35-37ft lbs.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank it doesn't sound you are doing anything wrong. So it has me thinking are you sure it isn't leaking from between the turbo core (center section) and the compressor backing plate where it bolt to core. And you have the t oring (looks like a cross oring). Because if it leaked there it would run down right where the turbo bolts to pedestal. That is my guess???

If it wasn't the turbo base to pedestal orings. And RTV isn't going to work with pressurized oil.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by cps
Where did you get that number? I'm afraid to over tighten the bolts being that they go into aluminum
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Frank it doesn't sound you are doing anything wrong. So it has me thinking are you sure it isn't leaking from between the turbo core (center section) and the compressor backing plate where it bolt to core. And you have the t oring (looks like a cross oring). Because if it leaked there it would run down right where the turbo bolts to pedestal. That is my guess???

If it wasn't the turbo base to pedestal orings. And RTV isn't going to work with pressurized oil.
I though so too Ed, so I pulled the turbo real easy and held it up, but there is no sign of oil coming from that area Plus it looks to me like a leak in that area would put the leak on the right (drivers side) of the turbo. From what I can see (and it's not easy to see in there with the spider installed) it's slowly running out of the left (pass side) of the turbo base. If that makes sense

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
You can call Clay, but the pedistal is 18 I believe and the two large bolts to the turbo are 35lbs. Other web sites also say this. Not sure thats your problem but 35# is correct. I have a small leak from time to time to I need to find, it started after turbo install. Can't see anything up top so think its turbo related.

Chet

Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cps
I do believe that to be correct too. I think that is Garrett or IH torque specs because if I recall I torqued mine to 35ft lbs. But that differents in torque specs it shouldn't leak even at 20ft lbs. If I reacll reading that 20ft lbs some have had to retorque turbo down the road and that was the only issue. But I could be wrong on what I read.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
You can call Clay, but the pedistal is 18 I believe and the two large bolts to the turbo are 35lbs. Other web sites also say this. Not sure thats your problem but 35# is correct. I have a small leak from time to time to I need to find, it started after turbo install. Can't see anything up top so think its turbo related.

Chet
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I do believe that to be correct too. I think that is Garrett or IH torque specs because if I recall I torqued mine to 35ft lbs. But that differents in torque specs it shouldn't leak even at 20ft lbs. If I reacll reading that 20ft lbs some have had to retorque turbo down the road and that was the only issue. But I could be wrong on what I read.
You both are correct (ding ding ding) Just talked with Clay and he says 30-35 ft lbs is correct. Garret says it's ok,
Ford says 18ft lbs for some reason
Fingers crossed that this will fix the leak.

If your hunch is right about the "X" O ring Ed, I have my spare turbo standing by.
Thanks for the reply's guys

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I'm about to go redneck and break out the RTV...
Man have I ever been there myself!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you get it fixed Frank?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Just want to let you know that I had almost the same exact call to clay a couple of weeks ago. 18 ft/lbs just didn't seem like enough to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by robbragiel
Did you get it fixed Frank?
I gave up for today. I'll tackle it in the morning.

Originally Posted by Robert6401
Just want to let you know that I had almost the same exact call to clay a couple of weeks ago. 18 ft/lbs just didn't seem like enough to me.
I felt the same, when torquing into aluminum, asking is better than a risk.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Good luck Brown. Fingers crossed!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
O-ring seals on the pedestal shouldn't need that much torque to seal... something is up. Does anybody remember that spider with a bad casting and the boost leak was a bear to find?

You're there and you know what you've done. My list, if I was first approaching this problem:
  • Verify O-rings are the correct ones.
  • Inspect them with the strongest magnifying optics I can get my hands on, looking for issues on the sealing surfaces.
  • Inspect the tapered tube and all metal surfaces that touch the O-rings... using the same magnifying optics.
  • Ensure the suspect mating surfaces have no unevenness that can prevent a proper seat.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
When I did all my stuff I noticed it takes some time to get the turbo to sit down flat on the pedestal. The turbo has to fit in the baby butt just right before it sits down on the pedestal just right.

I also went to 35ft/lbs on the turbo bolts.

If the turbo leaked on two different pedestals I would be looking into the turbo for the leak, either out of the turbo itself somewhere or where the turbo meets the pedestal. Makes sure the turbo surface is flat and there are no burrs stick up. Also make sure the o-ring surfaces on the turbo are perfect. Also like mentioned make sure you have the right o-rings in there. Skinny o-rings won't make the seal.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
UPDATE!

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The turbo has to fit in the baby butt just right before it sits down on the pedestal just right.
You are exactly right

After trying my spare turbo this morning and still having a leak a light bulb went off in my head. (yes it took 7 times pulling the turbo )
My baby's butt was a minute pinch higher than It should have been and was keeping the turbo from sitting 100% flat on the pedestal. Torquing to 35lbs wasn't enough to move the baby's butt down a hair.
I loosened all of the up pipe bolts & readjusted the baby's butt a "c" hair and no more leaks
On a good note, I can pull a turbo in just a few minutes now.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

Quick Reply: WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??????