1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 F350 7.3 won't start in cold - no heater for block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F350 7.3 won't start in cold - no heater for block?

Our truck was always slower to start, but it just will not start in the cold without a jump. We've changed the batteries, the GPs, the relay, etc... Now the truck won't start at all, even with a small battery charger and a jump. This thing has barely 100k miles on it, and we bought it used with no manuals.

We have searched for the plug-in for the heater block, but we can't find it anywhere. Is it possible it doesn't have one?? I've read to look on the oil filter housing, but I don't see anything there. I've looked under and inside the bumper and bumper pulls. Nothing.

We've had nothing but trouble with this truck since we bought it.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The wire for the block heater is the large orange colored wire coming off your filter housing. Try to follow it to find the end which should be behind the grill area. Your truck should start without plugging it in to well below zero. I have never "had" to plug mine in, although I have just because its easier on everything in real cold temps and nice to have some heat on start up. Make sure your glow plug system is in fact working and that your batteries are good.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Pansen
Junior User
OK, would the glow plugs work when it's warmer but not so much when it's cooler, because they are only used to warm? The batteries are new. It's getting down to 32 at night, but it stopped starting, as usual, around 50 or 60 at night.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though batts are new make sure they are putting out at least 10.5 volts while cranking. This is minimum to start truck. How is your oil- Fresh & full -Dumb question but just checking the obvious stuff - Glow plugs should either be good or not but the relay that powers them may not be working properly.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
The glow plugs are controlled by the pcm, based on oil temp and ambient temp. They will come on at a lot warmer than 32*. I forget off hand what the parameters are and don't want to give you wrong info, but sounds like you have another issue. Does it turn over normally? Are all the terminals clean? You need about 10.5 volts while cranking. Guys will jump in and help you sort this out, just be patient. It will most likely be something fairly simple. Who changed all the componants? You, the previous owner, or a dealer?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Pansen
Junior User
A dealer change the components. When we broke down several times while on the road far from home. oil should be good. We have checked batteries, but I'm not sure we did the correct protocol for them.

Terminals are clean, however the battery cables themselves look beat up and dented to hell, although they don't look old. They are almost as soft as putty and I have long wondered if that's an issue, but why would it start in warm and not cold then? I don't want to go replacing parts left and right as we have been doing and it hasn't solved the problem. This is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I saw mention of injectors being damaged due to low voltage? We had a couple of injectors replaced already, so I find that connection interesting.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Get a volt meter you plug into you lighter,their cheap, wall mart has them, see what the cranking volts are. The truck will start if its warm enough without the glow plugs coming on at all. Just because the relay was replaced doesn't mean its good or even hooked up properly. Had to replace injectors at 100k? Did the dealer do that to?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Yes, a dealer replaced the injector. I disconnected one of my lighter plugins, because someone had done a shoddy job installing it, but I can put it back together. We do have the built in aux one. Will that work?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Pansen, does it not start at all now? When you turn the key on, does the wait to start lite come on, and can you hear the fuel pump on the frame under the truck below your seat? Edit: Yes, the lighter or power point.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Pansen
Junior User
It will not start at ALL now. The WTS light does come on and I do hear the pump.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Pansen
Junior User
So all diesel trucks like this have a heater block cord, right? That is going to bother me till we find it.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pansen, have a look at this link. It should help you locate your heater cord.

Where are you located? Maybe another member is nearby. These trucks take a lot of juice to start. Connections need to be clean, and batteries good condition. Read the voltage when trying to start.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ater-cord.html

Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Do you know if the cps (cam position sensor) has been replaced and where it is? So, have you located the orange wire? Don't know if all diesels have a block heater, but I would think so. But the point is, yours does, or did. You need to back up and explain exactly what the truck does so guys can help figure this out. Are you stuck someplace? Where do you live?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Pansen
Junior User
OK. We are not stuck. The truck is at home, but we need it to haul stuff, as we are remodeling a house. We did use it to pull a 5th wheel RV, but with the unreliability of the truck, we sold the rv last month. We also need to pull a small trailer to the dump now and then.

I can't remember about the CPS, but I think that was also replaced.

We're in Northern California, by Redding. I have not located the wire, as I am too short and cold, and it's too wet outside atm. I did try to go take a look and fell off the slippery truck, hurting myself a bit so I gave up looking for now. My husband will take a look later, but he is very... um... well, more ignorant than I am when it comes to vehicles, but he is capable. I've asked him to register here to join in the discussion. I hope he does. I used to work on my own vehicles, but never had a huge truck like this, and never had a Ford before.

Thank you for the link. I will take a look!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Pansen, you'll see it from under the truck. If you click on the pic of my truck, it will take you to some photos of mine. Click on my album and look at the last pic in the second row. The orange wire above the filter is it. Can"t miss it.

Quick Reply: 2001 F350 7.3 won't start in cold - no heater for block?