Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

belt squeeling need advice.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
medicbull
New User
medicbull is starting off with a positive reputation.
belt squeeling need advice.

upon start up and while driving the belt (i suppose) is squeeling loudly and all the time. im wondering do i need to replace the belt or is a pulley going bad?? any advice would be great.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by medicbull View Post
upon start up and while driving the belt (i suppose) is squeeling loudly and all the time. im wondering do i need to replace the belt or is a pulley going bad?? any advice would be great.
From my experience, if it's squeeking, the tensioner is the culprit.

I swapped belts on my 7.3, instead of the tensioner, and the tensioner soon crapped the bed, shredded the new belt, ripped the AC wiring apart (wrecking the pump), and other bad things.

I think the 6.4 has 2 belt systems, yay

Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM
medicbull
New User
thanks parkland. I have watched every video i could find and read alot of directions by guys that know a heck of a lot more than me about this. Im going to tackle this thing tomorrow. the dealer wants 350.oo just to replace the pulley and belt. whew!! one set of direrctions say to remove fan shroud and fan to replace belt. the tensioner seems a little easier to replace from underneath.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I'm almost certain somewhere here a guy did it, and did it from underneath.

I just take it to the dealer to get worked on now, every time I try to do something myself, I feel out of place; I'm too tall and big to get my hands in anywhere, I can't wait to start deleting engine bay components

Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brandon D is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks parkland. I have watched every video i could find and read alot of directions by guys that know a heck of a lot more than me about this. Im going to tackle this thing tomorrow. the dealer wants 350.oo just to replace the pulley and belt. whew!! one set of direrctions say to remove fan shroud and fan to replace belt. the tensioner seems a little easier to replace from underneath.
I agree it's most likely the tensioner but while I was in there I would be sure to replace both belts as well. Also be aware there are 2 tensioners so you might want both on hand in case they're both screwed. Also be certain this isn't covered under any existing warranty you might have. Mine went bad about 8 months ago and it was covered. I just paid for the new belts and the dealer took care of the rest. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Tensioner is covered under the 5/100K and they will also cover the belt if it ruined it, it has if it is squealing.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
If under warranty I would take it in. They need to hear it to replace it. Belt will also be replaced...due to the tensor issue.

They should not charge you for the belt.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
wp6529
Elder User
wp6529 has a good reputation on FTE.wp6529 has a good reputation on FTE.
Two belts, two tensioners, near zero access, yea-fun

The docs indicate to remove the radiator shroud and then work through the larger gaps in the unevenly spaced fan blades.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
medicbull
New User
thanks alot for the replys. I called the dealer he stated 3 yr 36000 was the warrenty on the outside engine components. im in a 08 with 83000.. i didnt know their was two tensioners. guess i need to watch more vids and read more... lol.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
I wonder why we even have 2 belt systems?

Plus there is an electric pump for the 2nd cooling system.....

Time to start yarding stuff out, lol.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have the absolute worst dealer for not covering "questionable" items and had no issues with it being covered, need to try another dealer or another service adviser, or a higher up. Your 5 years may be up though depending on the purchase date.

There is a reason why just replacing the belt is over $300, it is nasty to get to.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
The defective part is what determines the warranty. If he looks it up in the puter he will see.

No deductable and all other items covered.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM
medicbull
New User
im going to call another dealer today and push the oasis issue. These trucks are crazy priced and they need to warranty the issues that they say they will when you buy it.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
im going to call another dealer today and push the oasis issue. These trucks are crazy priced and they need to warranty the issues that they say they will when you buy it.
You know what would be a good sales pitch?

Free 100,000 mile service:

New engine coolant
Trans flush
New axle fluid
New belts
etc....

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Mandolin Wind
New User
Mandolin Wind is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just had the tensioner and both belts replaced. $250 in parts. Total repair bill?... $1,180.
They claim the labour is a result of having to remove all 5 rads to get at the front of the block. I can see that, but still... jeez.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: belt squeeling need advice.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: