Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   belt squeeling need advice. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1201292-belt-squeeling-need-advice.html)

medicbull 11-06-2012 10:33 AM

belt squeeling need advice.
 
upon start up and while driving the belt (i suppose) is squeeling loudly and all the time. im wondering do i need to replace the belt or is a pulley going bad?? any advice would be great.

parkland 11-06-2012 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by medicbull (Post 12455699)
upon start up and while driving the belt (i suppose) is squeeling loudly and all the time. im wondering do i need to replace the belt or is a pulley going bad?? any advice would be great.

From my experience, if it's squeeking, the tensioner is the culprit.

I swapped belts on my 7.3, instead of the tensioner, and the tensioner soon crapped the bed, shredded the new belt, ripped the AC wiring apart (wrecking the pump), and other bad things.

:(

I think the 6.4 has 2 belt systems, yay :(

medicbull 11-06-2012 04:22 PM

thanks parkland. I have watched every video i could find and read alot of directions by guys that know a heck of a lot more than me about this. Im going to tackle this thing tomorrow. the dealer wants 350.oo just to replace the pulley and belt. whew!! one set of direrctions say to remove fan shroud and fan to replace belt. the tensioner seems a little easier to replace from underneath.

parkland 11-06-2012 05:20 PM

I'm almost certain somewhere here a guy did it, and did it from underneath.

I just take it to the dealer to get worked on now, every time I try to do something myself, I feel out of place; I'm too tall and big to get my hands in anywhere, I can't wait to start deleting engine bay components :)

Brandon D 11-06-2012 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by medicbull (Post 12456638)
thanks parkland. I have watched every video i could find and read alot of directions by guys that know a heck of a lot more than me about this. Im going to tackle this thing tomorrow. the dealer wants 350.oo just to replace the pulley and belt. whew!! one set of direrctions say to remove fan shroud and fan to replace belt. the tensioner seems a little easier to replace from underneath.

I agree it's most likely the tensioner but while I was in there I would be sure to replace both belts as well. Also be aware there are 2 tensioners so you might want both on hand in case they're both screwed. Also be certain this isn't covered under any existing warranty you might have. Mine went bad about 8 months ago and it was covered. I just paid for the new belts and the dealer took care of the rest. Good luck.

galaxie641 11-06-2012 06:06 PM

Tensioner is covered under the 5/100K and they will also cover the belt if it ruined it, it has if it is squealing.

senix 11-06-2012 08:01 PM

If under warranty I would take it in. They need to hear it to replace it. Belt will also be replaced...due to the tensor issue.

They should not charge you for the belt.

wp6529 11-06-2012 09:06 PM

Two belts, two tensioners, near zero access, yea-fun :(

The docs indicate to remove the radiator shroud and then work through the larger gaps in the unevenly spaced fan blades.

medicbull 11-06-2012 09:16 PM

thanks alot for the replys. I called the dealer he stated 3 yr 36000 was the warrenty on the outside engine components. im in a 08 with 83000.:(. i didnt know their was two tensioners. guess i need to watch more vids and read more... lol.

parkland 11-06-2012 09:35 PM

I wonder why we even have 2 belt systems?

Plus there is an electric pump for the 2nd cooling system.....


Time to start yarding stuff out, lol. :)

galaxie641 11-06-2012 11:12 PM

I have the absolute worst dealer for not covering "questionable" items and had no issues with it being covered, need to try another dealer or another service adviser, or a higher up. Your 5 years may be up though depending on the purchase date.

There is a reason why just replacing the belt is over $300, it is nasty to get to.

senix 11-07-2012 04:54 AM

The defective part is what determines the warranty. If he looks it up in the puter he will see.

No deductable and all other items covered.

medicbull 11-07-2012 06:46 AM

im going to call another dealer today and push the oasis issue. These trucks are crazy priced and they need to warranty the issues that they say they will when you buy it. :-blah

parkland 11-07-2012 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by medicbull (Post 12458404)
im going to call another dealer today and push the oasis issue. These trucks are crazy priced and they need to warranty the issues that they say they will when you buy it. :-blah

You know what would be a good sales pitch?

Free 100,000 mile service:

New engine coolant
Trans flush
New axle fluid
New belts
etc....

Mandolin Wind 03-07-2013 07:46 PM

Just had the tensioner and both belts replaced. $250 in parts. Total repair bill?... $1,180.
They claim the labour is a result of having to remove all 5 rads to get at the front of the block. I can see that, but still... jeez.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands