New 2014 Transit Van..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Super Econoline
2013 will last make Econoline then new design ford van name Transit start selling in 2014 but transit is Ugly.... l like Econoline style... will going miss Econoline van!
Looks like a Sprinter! total european pos looking vehicle! Why didn't Ford just freshen up the Econoline?

So as far as I know now GM is the only US maker that still has a "normal" type van!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
surfref32
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
Looks like a Sprinter! total european pos looking vehicle! Why didn't Ford just freshen up the Econoline?

So as far as I know now GM is the only US maker that still has a "normal" type van!
Why the Sprinter look a like? Because they want to stay competitive. Personally, I love my '03 E350 5.4 and the only thing I would change would be the mileage. I'd like to see the Ecoboost in the '07 body. That would be cool. F Diesel unless fuel came back down in price. I had a 2000 E350 7.3 PSD and LOVED the van but when the price of fuel went ridiculous I was happy to switch back to gas.

Here's the low roof Transit. I like it better than the high roof job but still ugly. It might grow on me. I thought the gen 4 was ugly when I first saw it in '91 and it grew on me in a few years. The low roof transit
nose reminds me of the gen 2 the way the angle of the windshield pretty much matches the angle of the hood.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by surfref32
I had a 2000 E350 7.3 PSD and LOVED the van but when the price of fuel went ridiculous I was happy to switch back to gas.
Agreed but sometimes range is key. Our Suburban Diesel goes 20% further on a tank than a 5.7. That's all of I-5 in California on one tank with an easy foot. I haven't found the reason to do it and my bladder won't hold And it still wouldn't be enough for Lisa Nowak

Sixto
'93 E150 Chateau 5.8 185K miles

Old 11-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All FORD has done in the full size van market since 1975 has been trying to "freshen up the Econoline".

Why didn't Ford just freshen up the Econoline?
FORD decided to try to "freshen up the" economics of selling full sized vans for profit by unifying platforms around the world. In the competition between America's best selling full sized van & Europe's best selling full sized van Transit won hands down. FORD's American workers are busy doing what's necessary to "freshen up" the European Transit for American buyers.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:11 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Why didn't Ford just freshen up the Econoline?

There's the Nissan NV If the design direction is towards the NV (Nissan ripped the grill off a Ford for crying out loud), I'm glad Ford got out.

Are all van photoshoots done in the same warehouse?

Sixto

Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Henry10s
Elder User
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
FORD decided to try to "freshen up the" economics of selling full sized vans for profit by unifying platforms around the world. In the competition between America's best selling full sized van & Europe's best selling full sized van Transit won hands down.
What competition? The one in Ford's HQ?

Real-world numbers: Transit it 10 years older than Econoline. Econoline has sold 2 million more units in North America than Transit throughout the world.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
There might be overall cost savings to making only the Transit or the Econoline. I imagine it will be more difficult to sell 1M Econolines outside North America than 2M Transits in North America.

Sixto

Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
The "competition" that lead "FORD's HQ" to decide to end E-Series & announce the development of a U.S. version Transit to replace it.

Originally Posted by Henry10s
What competition? The one in Ford's HQ?

Real-world numbers: Transit it 10 years older than Econoline. Econoline has sold 2 million more units in North America than Transit throughout the world.
Suspect FORD's light truck/commerical decision makers used different "Real-world numbers" to make their forward looking decision. E-Series was losing ground while Transit evolved. The Great Recession & extension of CAFE regulations to light trucks essentially forced "FORD's HQ" to **** Or Get Off The Pot.

The 21st Century "competition" is for share in the high fuel efficiency full size van market. While it might be argued that "FORD's HQ" could've choosen to try & redevelop the old Econoline platform for world class MPG, the fact is they did not. They didn't have to b/c they were already making, leading the class, Transit vans.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
We have debunked your arguments (CAFE, Econoline losing ground to Transit, etc) here on FTE.

Tabijan made the sensible, common-sense argument that most people here have made -- Ford needed to consolidate product lines, save money for its bottom line, etc. These are the real reasons -- and nothing has to do with serving its US largest audience -- commercial fleets.

That's why Ford is stonewalling us, Transit has been delayed, "tutti-frutti" versions have been dropped, only Heavy-Duty, pig-heavy Transit on Eco-B are being considered, and Econolines will be continued in cutaways, etc. Our service guy showed us a chart the other day, that US-version Transits (which are heavy-duty) with EcoBoost would have no MPG edge on E-Series with same powerplant.

Why? Because of physics my friend.

So there you go, another MPG myth debunked.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Super Econoline
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Econoline
Senior User
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Super Econoline
Senior User
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Bunk.

Originally Posted by Club Wagon
FORD decided to try to "freshen up the" economics of selling full sized vans for profit by unifying platforms around the world.
Originally Posted by Henry10s
We have debunked your arguments (CAFE, Econoline losing ground to Transit, etc) here on FTE.

Tabijan made the sensible, common-sense argument that most people here have made -- Ford needed to consolidate product lines, save money for its bottom line, etc. d.
FORD "made the sensible, common-sense" decision to let E-Series RIP & replace it w/the Transit, a full size van "most people here have" tried to ridicule w/derogatory names like "tutti-fruiti".

The new CAFE regulations applying to light trucks are not "another MPG myth". Face it, E-Series is being phased out & T-Series is replacing them. As FORD proceeds Transit won't be limited to "only Heavy-Duty, pig heavy" versions.

What you want to believe has been "debunked" is no more "debunked" than Global Warming. "Why? Because of physics my friend" as well as economics & FOMOCO decree.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
I can understand Fords step to sell the Transit in America instead of the Econoline.

The Transit is build in Europe since 1953 and the Econoline-Replacement is the 7.Generation.

Once my Eco was standing next to a 4th Generation Transit.
The outer diameters were a little smaller than the Econoline, but the roof was higher.

So the "usable Space" inside is nearly the same, but it has a smaller engine.
In that model usually a 2L (122cui) Gas or a 2.5L (152) Turbo-Diesel

With that smaller Engines it gets a better mileage.
Especially the Diesel

So instead of Producing 2 Different Vehicles for Different Continents, it is cheaper to sell just one Vehicle for all porposes.
And with always rising gas prices the mileage is more important than ever.
Especially for handicraft businesses to stay competitive

Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Rest assured, you aren't alone. I'm confident that worldwide, most FORD Truck Enthusiasts "understand" this.

Originally Posted by Cobra-Kai
I can understand Fords step to sell the Transit in America instead of the Econoline.
FORD's decision to replace the full size van's biggest motor, the 6.8L V10, with the efficient 3.5L EcoBoost Turbo V6 is generally understood to significantly improve fleet average MPG.

Most understand that fuel savings will be substantial & that there is more to be saved with higher fuel prices. So much so, over its life time, fuel savings may exceed the cost of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: New 2014 Transit Van..