302 build - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

302 build

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
302 build

i have posted on here before about rebuilding my 302 but i still want to do a little more looking into it so i know EXACTLY what i need..... i want an engine that would be able to hand the operating range of a mud truck along with some good speed.
what would be a good cam for this?
i would like to use 1.7 RR and gt40p heads, any suggestion on brand of rockers?
what should i do for an intake? keep stock or go bigger?
would 24 lb injectors be good for this or should i keep stock?
should i port the heads or would the gt40ps be fine?
what should i do for springs?

any other suggestions would be great, i just want this to be a mean engine.. i know im asking a lot of questions but ive come to the best place to ask them and i appreciate any feedback
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Freightrain's Avatar
Freightrain Freightrain is offline
Shiftoholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,666
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
Well, a 302 and mud truck/good speed is not usually all in one sentence. Not that the 302 isn't a good engine, but surely not a powerhouse(for a truck).

Any stock head will help with some minor cleanup in the ports. Nothing crazy, but smooth/gasket match. Remove any bump in the exhaust port.

What gear ratio you running(tire size too)? What kind of RPM do you plan on turning it? Stock automatic or stick shift? That will determine your camshaft and intake choice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Conanski's Avatar
Conanski Conanski is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 24,773
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Is this a competition mud truck or a play mud truck. For the first one you're wasting money building a 302.. there just ain't enough displacement to produce competetive power, but if this is a play toy then you can certainly have some fun with it. GTP heads are certainly better than stock but if you want serious HP then start looking for something used from AFR, RHS, Dart, or TFS, and when you have that then you can pic a cam, rockers, injectors, and intake that are appropriate. And of course this assumes you have a 94+ MAF truck to begin with, if you don't then you can tack on the cost of converting it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 AM
garthneddy's Avatar
garthneddy garthneddy is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,271
garthneddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Whats your budget? If it was me, i would find a stock 5.0 HO cam from a mustang for way cheap and spend as much as I could on some nice heads. I believe one of the mustang mags ran an article about hitting 400 hp with a simple head change, stock bottom end and camshaft.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
garthneddy's Avatar
garthneddy garthneddy is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,271
garthneddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It was carcraft, here is a link. Ford 302 V8 Engine Buildup- Car Craft Magazine
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Freightrain's Avatar
Freightrain Freightrain is offline
Shiftoholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,666
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
That seems kinda bogus. Why would they take a "stock Mustang" engine, then suddenly bolt a Weiand intake and 4bbl on it. That's not "stock" in any means. What happens when they put the factory intake back on it(like you would have to in a Mustang or a truck)?

I take most of those rag write ups with a grain of salt. My opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightrain View Post
Well, a 302 and mud truck/good speed is not usually all in one sentence. Not that the 302 isn't a good engine, but surely not a powerhouse(for a truck).

Any stock head will help with some minor cleanup in the ports. Nothing crazy, but smooth/gasket match. Remove any bump in the exhaust port.

What gear ratio you running(tire size too)? What kind of RPM do you plan on turning it? Stock automatic or stick shift? That will determine your camshaft and intake choice.
Ya i know its bout near impossible but i want the closest thing to it. i cant tell you for sure what the gear ratio is, i know its something high and i plan on regearing in the future, not anytime soon though.. im running 33-12.5-15s.. automatic E4OD with shift kit and plan on running around 3500 i think
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
Is this a competition mud truck or a play mud truck. For the first one you're wasting money building a 302.. there just ain't enough displacement to produce competetive power, but if this is a play toy then you can certainly have some fun with it. GTP heads are certainly better than stock but if you want serious HP then start looking for something used from AFR, RHS, Dart, or TFS, and when you have that then you can pic a cam, rockers, injectors, and intake that are appropriate. And of course this assumes you have a 94+ MAF truck to begin with, if you don't then you can tack on the cost of converting it.
it is just a play truck... and its a 92.. would it be best to convert it?... and i think i found a cam, its the comp 35-512-8
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Conanski's Avatar
Conanski Conanski is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 24,773
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Yeah that's a good cam, port the stock heads or find some GT40s to bolt on and you'll have about as much power as you can get from the stock EFI system. The truck will need lots of gears however, no engine upgrade will do as much for performance as gears.. which should be 4.56 in your case.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
yea i plan on regearing in the future..... what about an intake and headers?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM
darknight's Avatar
darknight darknight is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 193
darknight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkicksass92 View Post
i have posted on here before about rebuilding my 302 but i still want to do a little more looking into it so i know EXACTLY what i need..... i want an engine that would be able to hand the operating range of a mud truck along with some good speed.
what would be a good cam for this?
i would like to use 1.7 RR and gt40p heads, any suggestion on brand of rockers?
what should i do for an intake? keep stock or go bigger?
would 24 lb injectors be good for this or should i keep stock?
should i port the heads or would the gt40ps be fine?
what should i do for springs?

any other suggestions would be great, i just want this to be a mean engine.. i know im asking a lot of questions but ive come to the best place to ask them and i appreciate any feedback
as said before, the 302 is not a stellar truck motor. It is a great "in-town" truck. It was a wonderful car motor as well. They can be built and tuned to make some decent power, but if you are really going to do some work and try to make power, you should look at the 5.8. They often bolt up quite easily. Stock 5.8 feels amazingly more powerful than the 302s. You can find them in donor trucks. You should buy a long block, build it to what you want, and have less down time with your truck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Conanski's Avatar
Conanski Conanski is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 24,773
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkicksass92 View Post
yea i plan on regearing in the future..... what about an intake and headers?
The stock intake will support all the HP you'll ever make but you want longtubes if at all possible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
with the longtube headers, since there will be no balancer pipe for the o2 sensor, would i be able to just put the senor on one side of the exhaust, or does it have to be balanced?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Freightrain's Avatar
Freightrain Freightrain is offline
Shiftoholic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,666
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
^^Yes. Install just one side(plug the other).

Just went through this with my new shorties.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
fordkicksass92 fordkicksass92 is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
fordkicksass92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
alrighty thanks
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT-40 heads on a 89 EB bronco hotrodfeguy 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 2 01-27-2015 11:34 PM
Gt40 & Gt40p Compression miashley150 Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) 5 03-24-2013 06:59 PM
302 cylinder head question caleb_ford Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) 5 12-07-2011 07:08 AM
What most 302 have GT40 in what years and cars? Milwaukee1979F150 Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) 14 05-26-2009 01:28 AM
Anyone use gt40p heads on 351w? Questions... daytoncobra Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) 1 02-20-2001 02:27 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.