Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by oldmerc View Post
We shall assume of course that you are unmarried ,if not you may be .
No kidding, nothing will put a damper on fun like a wife getting ticked about a guy doing something enjoyable. Sometimes it seems like it's a wife's main goal in life to stamp out anything that is the least bit enjoyable.

I tell every young guy I know who is about to get married that everything she finds cute and funny now she'll find embarrassing and annoying once she gets the ring on her finger. Basically the same with your hobbies. When you're going out she'll enjoy watching you buy this and that but once you're married and your money becomes "Our" money, the purse strings will tighten.

I just had a nephew get married and I told him this and he answered that his fiance wasn't like that. Every married guy within ear shot burst out laughing. His younger brother, who got married a few years back and is now divorced , said when I told him this he also blew it off but came to realize what I said was the total truth in a short period after he got married.

Enjoy it now my Aussie friend.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Given that you're dealing with a parts dealer/broker and he's procuring the parts and setting up shipping all those parts to you, the price is probably fair money. That's probably the most solid F-2/3 bed I've seen in a long while. You won't go wrong on those parts if the pics are a reasonable representation. One thing I'll mention is if your truck didn't come with a box and long running boards originally, you'll need the running board brackets that rivet to the frame rails. The seller will need to grind the rivets to remove the brackets and you can bolt them in place afterward. The holes will already be in position on your frame.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Probably the key reason I'm not married gentlemen. Every time I've had a serious girl in my life and she has come out with "you are NOT buying that piece of junk", I look at her, laugh and say, "wanna bet". They don't like that.

My current girl is fine with it and even happy to hang in the shed with me and hand me spanners, I'm sure that will change though.

Good point on the brackets 52 Merc, I hadn't thought of that. My truck came with a flat bed that was held together by dead termites and rust.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
There is an outfit in Seattle or Portland that ships specifically to Australia. As I remember the add they get the stuff for you shipped to them and fill containers with everyone's stuff before it ships. I wish I could find the info again. Maybe you guys will have better luck Goggling it than I have.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
South of BC
Elder User
South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.South of BC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy View Post
I would if I knew where it was! Those photos are from the parts importer I'm dealing with and I really doubt he'll tell me where it is! It has to be within spitting distance of Long Beach CA though.
Having been born and raised in Los Angeles and surrounds, I can quite assure you that you have to be able to spit from Sydney to Melbourne to hit that property from Long Beach!

BTW, if any are interested in a tour of the area, grab a bucket of popcorn and queue up Aerial Photos of Los Angeles LA and Southern California CA Welcome to LA, you'll want to go home!

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Oz52F1
Senior User
Oz52F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you turn a fox into an elephant?

You put a ring on her finger!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Oz52F1
Senior User
Oz52F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I imported my 52 F1 about 15 years ago.

In Australia, they were ALL cab-chassis with farmer added traybacks.

This means there are NO rear fenders in Australia.
There are NO running boards.
There are NO tailgates.

I bought a pair of fibreglass rear fenders from a local guy just before he stopped producing them.

I bought a stamped rear panel to make a tailgate out of at a local Melbourne swapmeet a few years back.

i have my original steel (needing some hefty repairs) hanging up in the garage, and every "old truck" guy that visits my garage says "I'll give you 200 bucks for them fenders"........they just don't get it!!!

You really should talk to Johnnykallista from ebay au....he has a warehouse near Lilydale.....he brings over containers of shtuff......even F1 stuff sometimes......

Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ha ha, fair enough South of BC. I know he is shipping out of Long Beach, I assumed he wouldn't be hauling them too far but obviously I'm wrong.

Oz52F1, John is the one getting all this gear for me. Also getting me a Dana 60, 5 wheels and front fenders. I'm basically going to have to hand him the deed to my house when he gets it all back here I think.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
Well the question is settled. I should. Just transferred a deposit on all the gear including the bed.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Oz52F1 View Post
How do you turn a fox into an elephant?

You put a ring on her finger!!!!!!!

OK, one more.

What's the best cure for nymphomania?

Wedding cake!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
John Peterson
Freshman User
John Peterson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wedding Cake

Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.
If it's just the bed you're after and you have a truck already, why not buy a new bed? It would probably run $1500 plus shipping and the fenders... well crap, nevermind, that will turn into $2500 real quick, might as well just get a whole truck for that!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stephen67 View Post
If it's just the bed you're after and you have a truck already, why not buy a new bed? It would probably run $1500 plus shipping and the fenders... well crap, nevermind, that will turn into $2500 real quick, might as well just get a whole truck for that!
Where are you going to buy a new 8' Express bed? No one makes reproduction beds.

I'm glad you went for it. We're all enablers here

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.
I swear I saw them somewhere... I know you can get the '53-56 8' beds from Mid-fifty, shortbeds are being made for the the 52 and earlier... huh... guess not, for some reason I thought I came across them. Point is mute anyways, lol.

And I agree with using a step-side on it, they're half the truck's style and really complete the look.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
aussiecowboy
Elder User
I've looked for repro beds for the big girls, if I'd found one I'd have it ordered, sadly not though.

It's been an expensive week, I also collect vintage Pontiacs and bought a nice 1930 model yesterday, another group of people "enabled" me into that one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.