6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Mods Continued: Pioneer Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Mods Continued: Pioneer Navigation Install

I attempted to install mod #2 this afternoon, a Pioneer AVIC-z130 that replaces the factory CD/MP3/Sirius Sync unit in my 2011 F-250 Super Crew King Ranch with Premium Audio. This was a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. For such a large truck there is very little room for the new radio and wiring harnesses. It’s a tight fit. This is an ongoing install and I will update this thread as I bring it to fruition.

The Parts:
Metra 95-5812 Double Din Dash Mount
PAC-Audio RP4-FD11 Wiring Harness
Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
Female to Male RG174 XM Antenna Cable extension
Audiovox XM XMSP Terk Single to Dual Antenna Input Splitter
Pioneer AVIC-z130 Refurb off Ebay
Pioneer XM module GEX-P920XM

The particulars

I went with the Pioneer unit because I was real happy with the AVIC-Z1 I had installed on my F-150. It too was an eBay refurb unit that I had ZERO problems with. I haven’t done any comparison with other manufacturer’s units as I’ve been happy with Pioneer and their yearly updates and firmware updates when necessary.

I decided to dump the Sync all together seeing as I haven't had much luck with it. I do have the factory amp and sub and went with the PAC Audio RP4-FD11 harness. This harness also comes with the steering wheel control module. For those that wish to retain Sync go with the MS-FRD1. It does not come with sterring wheel integration. If you want to retain the steering wheel controls you'll also need a separate SWI-PS. Note: It will be difficult to fit the MS-FRD1 and SWI-PS behind the stereo.

The Install

First, I attempted to install the XM module GEX-P920XM. The stock Sirius/XM antenna will work with the aftermarket pioneer unit. You just have to remove the plastic clip from the end of the cable.

I tried putting it below the stereo but I couldn't get the radio all the way into the dash. Once again, it’s a small opening. The one in my F-150 was much bigger. Because it won’t fit below the stereo I’ll have to order one of these: Fakra female to Fakra male RG174 "Z" RF Pigtal cable 1m | eBay Fakra female to Fakra male RG174 "Z" RF Pigtal cable 1m.
Once I receive this cable I’ll need to find a spot to put the tuner. Perhaps under the steering column or behind the glovebox. I’ve also read where the stock Sirius Antenna will work as a GPS antenna if you add a splitter. So I’ve got one of these on order:
Amazon.com: Audiovox XM XMSP Terk Single to Dual Antenna Input Splitter - Black: Car Electronics

I was surprised to find a non-standard radio antenna in the back of the factory radio. It has a big plastic housing on it. An antenna connection is required for the Traffic antenna that comes with the z130. There is no traffic coverage in my area (there’s also no traffic) but I want it in there for when I take the family travelling. So I also need to order an antenna adapter:
Amazon.com: Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler 2002 Antenna Adapter Cable: Car Electronics
I have no clue why they couldn’t just use the standard male antenna end. You know, the same one that’s been used for the LAST THREE DECADES!

The z130 comes with a standard USB 5volt connection and a 3.5inch input, just like the Sync ones to the lower right of the radio. The factory sync USB and 3.5 plug come right out and I used screws to mount the Pioneer ones (see pictures below). Both connections are stable.

I installed the phone mic above the rear view mirror and ran the line above the headliner and down the A pillar. I was tempted to utilize the stock location, but doing it this way makes it easier to switch it back to stock. Also, having the mic in the center of the truck will enable whomever is sitting shotgun to speak up as well.

After I got everything spliced into the harnesses I put the unit into the dash mount and tried putting it into the dash. Like I said, a real tight fit. You might be tempted to try and put the harnesses and wires into the large oval hole (picture below), don’t bother. It won’t work. That however is a good place for the GPS antenna should you not want to use the Sirius antenna. While attempting to finally install the radio and dash kit I realized the factory 7mm screws aren’t long enough. But, alas, Metra included longer ¼ inch hex screws with the kit. These must be used due to the extra spacing of the dash kit.

I’ve got everything buttoned up for now while I wait for the antenna adapter and GPS extension and splitter. Once I get those I’ll install and post more picture.

Also, many thanks to madsonp for the lead on the GPS extension and providing me with some valuable info.

Attached Images      
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Looks really nice. Thanks for the detailed write up...

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Looks real good, however I don't think the adapter you're buying to split the factory satellite antenna will work for your GPS. What I did was to mount the Pioneer GPS antenna on the metal bracket directly behind the radio under the dash, it fits in there perfectly. These antennas need to be mounted on a metal surface with no metal between the antenna and the outside of the vehicle (in this location you only have the plastic of the dash and glass of the windshield). In this location you'll have full reception and functionality of the GPS, and don't need to figure out how to run it outside the truck. As far as the mounting location for the XM tuner, I suggest mounting it in the center console like I mentioned in the other thread you and I had a discussion in. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2-f-250-a.html I considered mounting it behind the glove box like you mentioned but decided against it because I couldn't figure out how to securely mount it in that location. I like what you did with the USB and 3.5 plug, innovative way to mount them.

Next thing you'll have to do is make your own custom start-up screen (what Pioneer calls the Splash Screen) for your Pioneer. Here's the one I made for mine, it gives your truck that personalized touch.

And thank you for the recognition in your thread, I appreciate it.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice clean install! Reps given...

biz

Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, what was the total cost in both hours and money?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Uhg...I was really hoping I wouldn't have to admit to myself how much money I spent on this, mostly for plausible deniability in the event my wife asks, but here goes:
AVIC-Z130BT - $650
RP4-FD11 - $96
Metra 40-CR10 - $10
Pioneer XM Tuner - $91
Metra Double Din Dash Kit - $10
Dual Antenna Splitter - $20
XM Antenna Extension - $9

Total - $886...so far.

As far as time, I'm not done yet. Need the xm extension to install the xm tuner. But probably about 4 hours with most of that trying to get the XM tuner to fit below the radio. 1 more hour after I get the extension. I should note this is probably my 20th aftermarket radio/AV install. Had there been enough room in the dash it probably would have taken about two hours.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
$900 or so really is pretty stellar for what you just put in there. Your wife should be proud of your negotiating skills!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by bridge
Uhg...I was really hoping I wouldn't have to admit to myself how much money I spent on this, mostly for plausible deniability in the event my wife asks, but here goes:
AVIC-Z130BT - $650
RP4-FD11 - $96
Metra 40-CR10 - $10
Pioneer XM Tuner - $91
Metra Double Din Dash Kit - $10
Dual Antenna Splitter - $20
XM Antenna Extension - $9

Total - $886...so far.

As far as time, I'm not done yet. Need the xm extension to install the xm tuner. But probably about 4 hours with most of that trying to get the XM tuner to fit below the radio. 1 more hour after I get the extension. I should note this is probably my 20th aftermarket radio/AV install. Had there been enough room in the dash it probably would have taken about two hours.
Where did you end up deciding to mount your XM tuner ?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Not sure yet, probably going to zip tie it approx where the stock (2011 early build dates) unit goes under the drivers side dash.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
madsonp
Not sure yet, probably going to zip tie it approx where the stock (2011 early build dates) unit goes under the drivers side dash.
I put the up fitter switches on mine and that's where the relay box mounts so that wasn't an option for me. Just make sure its good and secure so it can't move around and potentially rub through any wiring that's under there. Did you get that splitter yet ? I did some research and it sounds like that the factory Sirius antennas are a dual band antenna, however the connector used for the GPS differs from the type of connector used by Pioneer which is where I think you're going to run into problems with the splitter you're looking at. I even found a factory antenna on ebay splitter and all which you can see here. Ford Dual Gps/Sirius Satellite Antenna(L@@K)!!! | eBay
But like I mentioned the connectors aren't compatible with the Pioneer GPS connection. Here's what Pioneer uses. AVIC connector Jack green for HRS Pioneer GPS antenna AVIC-X710BT X910BT NEW | eBay which differs from the Fakra connectors on the stock antennas and the splitter you're looking at. You could try to get one of the connectors for the Pioneer and cut one off the splitter you're looking at and might get it to work but it's my understanding is that these are difficult to put on if you don't have the right tools. I'm still thinking the cheapest easiest way to go is to mount the Pioneer GPS antenna under the dash like I did. Let me know what you come up with either way.
One other thing, just remember it's not about the cost or the time to do a project, it's the fun of doing it and the self satisfaction you get by doing it yourself. Keep up the good work.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
AVIC-Z130BT - $650

WOW! That is an amazing price for the main unit - mind sharing where you got hat price?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
WOW! That is an amazing price for the main unit - mind sharing where you got hat price?
EBay. Its a refurb. My avic-z1 was an eBay refurb and I had real good luck with it. My understanding is most refurbs aren't previously defective or broken units. They're usually returns from customers who didn't like unit for whatever reason. It works and sounds great so far.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Thank you!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:03 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
UPDATE

Got the extension XM cable and the splitter. The splitter idea might work if you're brave enough to mess with the GPS input on the nav unit. It is similar to the male connectors and looks like it will accept the female connection from the splitter if the aluminum retainer clips that surround the male pin are bent back. I however am not brave enough. So I'll stick with the pioneer gps antenna.

While looking for a spot to mount the XM tuner behind the drivers side kick panel I spotted the XM cable coming down from the A-pillar (first picture below). If you have a smaller XM tuner or Sirius Tuner you might be able to unplug the wire there.

My tuner is just too big to go behind the drivers kick panel, below the stereo, behind the glove box or in the space to the right of the glove box, so I've gone with an old reliable location that I've used many times before (second picture). Under the carpet on the passenger side. Broke out the fish tape and ran the IP bus cable, antenna lead and power down and underneath the carpet. Works great.

I said it once and I'll say it again; for such a large truck there is just very few options for installing aftermarket items. Everything is working great so now it's time for the Texans game and a beer.

Next up: integrating the stock rear camera and adding a front view camera.

Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
madsonp
UPDATE

Got the extension XM cable and the splitter. The splitter idea might work if you're brave enough to mess with the GPS input on the nav unit. It is similar to the male connectors and looks like it will accept the female connection from the splitter if the aluminum retainer clips that surround the male pin are bent back. I however am not brave enough. So I'll stick with the pioneer gps antenna.

While looking for a spot to mount the XM tuner behind the drivers side kick panel I spotted the XM cable coming down from the A-pillar (first picture below). If you have a smaller XM tuner or Sirius Tuner you might be able to unplug the wire there.

My tuner is just too big to go behind the drivers kick panel, below the stereo, behind the glove box or in the space to the right of the glove box, so I've gone with an old reliable location that I've used many times before (second picture). Under the carpet on the passenger side. Broke out the fish tape and ran the IP bus cable, antenna lead and power down and underneath the carpet. Works great.

I said it once and I'll say it again; for such a large truck there is just very few options for installing aftermarket items. Everything is working great so now it's time for the Texans game and a beer.

Next up: integrating the stock rear camera and adding a front view camera.
I never would have thought to mount the tuner there, looks like it'll work. What do you plan on doing with the stock camera ?

Quick Reply: Mods Continued: Pioneer Navigation Install