Pioneer AVIC-F90BT and XM Radio Tuner Installation in my 2012 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-F90BT and XM Radio Tuner Installation in my 2012 F-250

I recently installed a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT navigation system in place of the stock radio in my 2012 F-250 Super Duty. I also installed the Pioneer XM Radio Tuner that's needed to have XM radio on the AVIC-F90BT. But what I wanted to do is use the existing Ford factory Sirius satellite radio antenna, and connect it up to the Pioneer XM radio tuner, however, where I mounted the tuner the factory antenna cable wouldn't reach. So here's how I addressed the issue and mounted the Pioneer XM radio tuner.

First of all I searched high and low for an extension cable to extend the factory antenna cable so it would reach the location I mounted the Pioneer XM tuner, and just plug into each end, Here's what I was able to find.

The cable is 3' long which is just right for the way I mounted my XM tuner and plugs right in on both ends perfectly. Here's where it connects to the factory cable.

As far as the XM tuner installation location, I installed it in the glove box of the center console. To do this, remove the cup holders as shown here.

Cut a small hole between where the cup holders were and the glove box as shown here.

Feed the wiring through, connect it up, then use some good 3M double sided tape to mount the XM tuner on the side of the glove box as shown here.

Then feed the wiring on the inside lip of where the cup holders mount (There is enough room to do this without impacting the cup holders when reinstalled) then tape in place as shown here.

Then reinstall the cup holder and that's it. The best thing about this install is being able to use the factory satellite radio antenna with the Pioneer tuner so you don't have to try to figure how and where to mount the Pioneer antenna. If you're wondering where I put the other antenna for the GPS, it's mounted on a structural steel piece just behind the stereo right under the dash. This antenna doesn't need to be mounted outside the vehicle, however needs to be mounted on a metal piece, with no metal between it and the outside of the vehicle (in this case there's only the plastic of the dash and the glass of the windshield. The antenna has full reception in this configuration, and there again there's no need to figure out how and where to mount it on the outside the vehicle.

Finally, here's a photo of the Pioneer navigation system installation.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you able to keep the Sync function, and the Bluetooth Mic when you installed the Head unit? Ive heard you will need the Idatalink Module to keep Sync

Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by CountryD
Were you able to keep the Sync function, and the Bluetooth Mic when you installed the Head unit? Ive heard you will need the Idatalink Module to keep Sync
No, not the way I have it set up. If I would have got one of these I could have.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

But I didn't like the idea of the additional display and there was no good place to mount it, plus the display looks cheap. Also using this you had to have it on aux input to use the sync features which gives you a blank display on the Pioneer head unit. After installing this I don't really miss sync because I didn't use it much in the first place.

I did get this so I could retain the use of the steering wheel controls to control my Pioneer.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

I do see where Kenwood has a unit that ingrates with the sync system, I have yet to see one in person so I don't know how well it works. You can see the Kenwood here:

Kenwood - DNX7190HD

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you do decide to go with the Kenwood, let me know how well it works with the sync.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 AM
stephendudra
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cable part number or place?

This is great that you got this done. I hve searched high and low for something like this.

You did not mention where you got the extension cable nor part numbers. Could you share for all of us?

I think that it came from here.

RF Cable Assembly

Please let us know!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by stephendudra
This is great that you got this done. I hve searched high and low for something like this.

You did not mention where you got the extension cable nor part numbers. Could you share for all of us?

I think that it came from here.

RF Cable Assembly

Please let us know!
Ha, good point, I guess that would help wouldn't it. Here's where I got it.
Fakra female to Fakra male RG174 "Z" RF Pigtal cable 1m | eBay

It ships from China, but it got here a lot faster than I though it would. The one listed in the link is 1 meter long (about 3'), they had another one but it was shorter. The 3' one is the one I used and it worked perfect.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm going to be doing this install on my 2011 with a similar unit, the AVIC-z130BT so I have a few questions. Does your truck have the factory sub and amplifier? What integration harness did you end up going with if not the PAC MS-FRD1? Did you use the factory microphone or the pioneer? Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by bridge
I'm going to be doing this install on my 2011 with a similar unit, the AVIC-z130BT so I have a few questions. Does your truck have the factory sub and amplifier? What integration harness did you end up going with if not the PAC MS-FRD1? Did you use the factory microphone or the pioneer? Thanks!
Yes, my truck has the factory sub and speakers, the Pioneer system really woke up these speakers compared to the factory stereo so I really haven't even thought about replacing them. I went with the PAC RP4-FD11 for the harness and it's worked very well. I just used the Pioneer mic. I would have liked to have used the factory microphone but I didn't have the time to look and see if it's even possible or where it even connects to the factory system. I'm thinking it connects to the sync module but I'm not sure. I would like to go that route if it's possible. I might try to dig into the sync module tomorrow to see if I can figure it out. If I do I'll let you know.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply I think the MS-FRD1 retains the factory microphone. I guess it must because Sync needs it. However, like you, I'm less than impressed with Sync and don't really care if I lose it and go with the Pioneer microphone. I've read where others just removed the factory one and glued in the Pioneer in the same location.

Do you have a reverse camera? If so, where did you pick up the signal?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by bridge
Thanks for the quick reply I think the MS-FRD1 retains the factory microphone. I guess it must because Sync needs it. However, like you, I'm less than impressed with Sync and don't really care if I lose it and go with the Pioneer microphone. I've read where others just removed the factory one and glued in the Pioneer in the same location.

Do you have a reverse camera? If so, where did you pick up the signal?
Yes the MS-FRD1 retains the factory mic, but like you mentioned neither of us care for the sync system. My F-250 has factory back-up camera with the display in the rear view mirror, however I also hooked up the Pioneer ND-BC20PA to my AVIC head unit so now I have two back-up cameras. The reason I did this is so I have the ability to turn the camera on while pulling a trailer so I can keep an eye on my 4 wheelers while going down the road. The factory camera doesn't allow this option. The only thing about it was that the wiring from the camera wasn't long enough to reach all the way up front but I got a real long truck (crew cab with the long box) so I had to splice some wire into it so it would reach. I have a topper on my truck now so I mounted the camera on the top of it at the third brake light. When you ask where I picked up the signal, are you referring the reverse signal? If so, on my truck this is integrated into the factory stereo wiring, so when you get the harness adapters, its right there and ready to hook up to. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 PM
RoadrunnerII
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madsonp
I recently installed a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT navigation system in place of the stock radio in my 2012 F-250 Super Duty. I also installed the Pioneer XM Radio Tuner that's needed to have XM radio on the AVIC-F90BT. But what I wanted to do is use the existing Ford factory Sirius satellite radio antenna, and connect it up to the Pioneer XM radio tuner, however, where I mounted the tuner the factory antenna cable wouldn't reach. So here's how I addressed the issue and mounted the Pioneer XM radio tuner.

First of all I searched high and low for an extension cable to extend the factory antenna cable so it would reach the location I mounted the Pioneer XM tuner, and just plug into each end, Here's what I was able to find.

The cable is 3' long which is just right for the way I mounted my XM tuner and plugs right in on both ends perfectly. Here's where it connects to the factory cable.

As far as the XM tuner installation location, I installed it in the glove box of the center console. To do this, remove the cup holders as shown here.

Cut a small hole between where the cup holders were and the glove box as shown here.

Feed the wiring through, connect it up, then use some good 3M double sided tape to mount the XM tuner on the side of the glove box as shown here.

Then feed the wiring on the inside lip of where the cup holders mount (There is enough room to do this without impacting the cup holders when reinstalled) then tape in place as shown here.

Then reinstall the cup holder and that's it. The best thing about this install is being able to use the factory satellite radio antenna with the Pioneer tuner so you don't have to try to figure how and where to mount the Pioneer antenna. If you're wondering where I put the other antenna for the GPS, it's mounted on a structural steel piece just behind the stereo right under the dash. This antenna doesn't need to be mounted outside the vehicle, however needs to be mounted on a metal piece, with no metal between it and the outside of the vehicle (in this case there's only the plastic of the dash and the glass of the windshield. The antenna has full reception in this configuration, and there again there's no need to figure out how and where to mount it on the outside the vehicle.

Finally, here's a photo of the Pioneer navigation system installation.

Hi
Quick question
Where under the dash did you find the factory antenna cable connection
I previously had a 2013 F150 and the antenna was on the passenger side of the roof and the connection was behind the Glove Box
The antenna on my 2016 F250 Super crew is on the drivers side so wondering if it is behind the steering wheel
Thanks
Roadrunner II

Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 PM
SWV10
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I just recently purchased a Kenwood DDX774BH (not from Crutchfield), Sirusxm tuner adapter, Maestro Ar RR iDatalink module, Maestro FO1 Harness & Radio installation bracket kit for my '16 F350. It has the standard am/fm/cd/sirusxm radio, Steering Controls, Bluetooth, Sync, by upgrading I gain a nicer looking touch-screen receiver and monitor things like the tire pressures for example, along with other audio/video options.
All of the spicing of the speaker wires is done, radio bracket installed, all I need to do is get the idatalink flashed and remove the stock radio.
Before I start I have a few Question's:
On the Factory Ford Rear Camera, how does it plug into the rear of the Kenwood, is the Factory rear camera cable acceptable to the aftermarket Radio? (present rear cam video is located in the rear view mirror)
Bluetooth Mic, does the Ford Factory mic already installed work with the Kenwood or do I need to route-in the new mic?
Can the SirusXm antenna already mounted on my cab be used with the new SirusXm tuner adapter?
Where would the reverse wire be located under the dash? It states in the instructions that this wire (Purple with White Stripe from the Kenwood) must be connected to the Reverse lamp harness when using the rear view camera.
What is the purpose of the parking sensor wire (Light Green color) and what is it for?