Oil & Lubrication  

Walmart Supertech ATF

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart Supertech ATF

Hello, which flavor of walmart supertech atf to use in a zf-5 tranny?

Thanx

Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I wouldnt use ATF in a manual transmission. Yes, i know Ford specifies it, but I think for the convenience of dealers and the factory so they can throw in whatever Mercon they are using to service 95% of the cars and trucks that have automatics. It works, but not the best. If I had no other choice, pick the Type F ATF, because it gets along better with sychros than Mercon/Dexron.

GM and Chrysler specify sychromesh fluids, such as Pennzoil, which may be available at ChinaMart, and certainly any chain auto parts store. I use Redline MTL in ZF and Getrag transmissions.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You should check out - Bob is the Oil Guy. He has a TON of info about any kind of automotive lubricant you could ever want.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
ATF

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Personally, I wouldnt use ATF in a manual transmission. Yes, i know Ford specifies it, but I think for the convenience of dealers and the factory so they can throw in whatever Mercon they are using to service 95% of the cars and trucks that have automatics. It works, but not the best. If I had no other choice, pick the Type F ATF, because it gets along better with sychros than Mercon/Dexron.

GM and Chrysler specify sychromesh fluids, such as Pennzoil, which may be available at ChinaMart, and certainly any chain auto parts store. I use Redline MTL in ZF and Getrag transmissions.
Yeah, even tho supertech oil for diesels usually stand tall with other good name brand oils, I was just curious about their atf...I think tho...I'm about to order Redline's High-Temp or D4 ATF to put in the zf and bw-1345...It's time to change all the lubes out...front, rear, tranny, and x-fer case...will probably replace u-joints as well as wheel besrings...Got to get ready to pull 5'ver to Arizona for the winter...

Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerCan500
Hello, which flavor of walmart supertech atf to use in a zf-5 tranny?

Thanx
While "Wally-World" oil is made by a major refinery, I prefer to use name brand so I know exactly what I am getting including any additives...... In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline. I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Wally Oil

Originally Posted by Beechkid
While "Wally-World" oil is made by a major refinery, I prefer to use name brand so I know exactly what I am getting including any additives...... In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline. I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer
I to used to use Valvoline back in my greasy fingernail days...I've punched a funnel in many a cans of that engine oil. Every engine I ever built back then got it, and liked it...

Never have figured out why I haven't used it in so many years. I guess we just drifted apart. LOL..I'll have to look at it again...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your owners manual should give you the answer your looking for. Believe me if it calls for ATF don't use gear oil. I saw a a guy do that & about 200 miles & his transmission was burned up. because gear was too thick even motor oil is too thick. doesn't circulate some have oil pumps in the tranny only ATF will work
Craig

Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Owners Manual

Originally Posted by kermmydog
Your owners manual should give you the answer your looking for. Believe me if it calls for ATF don't use gear oil. I saw a a guy do that & about 200 miles & his transmission was burned up. because gear was too thick even motor oil is too thick. doesn't circulate some have oil pumps in the tranny only ATF will work
Craig
I have the owners manual...Probably one of the few who have one for an 86 F250. I was just curious as to the Supertech ATF since it is very hard to find Motorcraft ATF anymore. Not sure if they even make it anymore. I still use Ford parts & oils & such wherever I can.

I agree with you on the gear oil in a tranny or x-fer case when ATF is called for. I do think tho that Redline MTF and only Redline MTF won't hurt a zf tranny due to it's nature, but I still will use ATF. I just hate to purchase synthetic when a good ol regular Mercon grade will do and is what's called for, for my truck.

Well how's the weather in Bullhead City? If everything works out we will be back in Quartzsite (BLM areas) pretty soon. After winter I think we are going to stay in Arizona somewhere up in the Prescott Valley area if all things work out. Looking at some 1/2 to 1 acre pieces of property up there to make a permanent home base. That's kinda the purpose of this trip...to look around...etc...

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
IIRC WPP makes most of Wally World's ATF and I beleive makes either Advanced or Auto Zone's ATF.

Either way both look like they did we in this test...

Petroleum Quality Intitute of America

I have Super Tech Dex/Merc with two bottles of lubegard in my 4r100 and it has done fine over the last 30k. Heck, I even ran it in the 48re of my old dodge without any of the predicted destruction Dodge people told me I would have.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kermmydog
Craig
That is the "standard" answer I addressed above. Complicating things is the age of the vehicle. That particular Ford spec and Motorcraft part # no longer exist.

Synchomesh fluids are not API GL-5 SAE 90 or 140 hypoid oils. That type of gear oil has sulphur additives that eventually corrode brass or bronze parts found in some manual transmissions. ATF and the above mentioned fluids have similar viscosity to 5W-20 motor oil.
'