1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Early 99 f350, Airaid intake, 5" Exhaust, Banks trans-command -stomped by drurymax WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 PM
wwilks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 99 f350, Airaid intake, 5" Exhaust, Banks trans-command -stomped by drurymax WTH?

I have an early 99 f350, crew-cab, dually, with only 86k. My buddy just bought a 2003 Dura-Max with over 100k and he stomps me pulling the passes in Montana. What the heck is going on? I've added 5" exhaust, shift kit, and Air-Raid cold air intake, but the Chevy still leaves me in the dust. I'm looking at adding a 2000 intake, larger injectors, and a gear vendor; will this compete?

I can't believe few years (and Allison trans) has made that much performance difference... - I'm stumped, not to mention tired of being degraded. Granted, his camper is smaller than mine, but I pulled it, and his truck still does better than mine.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:21 PM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wwilks
I have an early 99 f350, crew-cab, dually, with only 86k. My buddy just bought a 2003 Dura-Max with over 100k and he stomps me pulling the passes in Montana. What the heck is going on? I've added 5" exhaust, shift kit, and Air-Raid cold air intake, but the Chevy still leaves me in the dust. I'm looking at adding a 2000 intake, larger injectors, and a gear vendor; will this compete?

I can't believe few years (and Allison trans) has made that much performance difference... - I'm stumped, not to mention tired of being degraded. Granted, his camper is smaller than mine, but I pulled it, and his truck still does better than mine.
Quit being degraded, buy a Duramax and move on.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 PM
wwilks
New User
Is that what you did; buy a Drury-Max? I'll pass on that action. 86K and 12 years on my Ford; and still running strong, no repairs. Just thinking my early model might be missing something.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I would start by get rid of the banks trans-command and get yourself some tunes from DP Tuner. Jody or James at DP can get you set up. Actually there are a few good tuners out there that can help over come your problem of being beaten by a Dura-Max. But what the heck you doing hanging out with a guy that would drive a Chevy.
Friends don't let friends drive Chebbies !! LOL

The stock tunes in a E99 aren't very good but it a good base line. The E99 pcm limits you as far as using different tuners. Most tuners want a E99 guy to change out your pcm which in the long run is a good idea. But if you don't want to do that DP has tunes that work well with the E99 pcm.

Honestly you don't need a late99-03 turbo set up and injectors to bet a DuraMax. All you need a good set of tunes and a lighter camper or talk him into getting a bigger camper. So when he talks crap about your truck just tell him to get a bigger camper.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Stock Powerstrokes are SLOW. I had a buddy jump in my truck (when it was stock with just exhaust and intake) to go run an errand and when he got back he said, "I forgot how slow a stock Powerstroke is." He was right. You need a chip (and of course gauges) to keep up.

At least you can laugh when his is replacing his injectors and turbo again and again.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Friends don't let friends drive Chebbies !! LOL
Didn't you drive a Chebbie to RRE?

(sorry had to bring it up)

Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Didn't you drive a Chebbie to RRE?

(sorry had to bring it up)
Yea you got me on that one BJ ! LOL
But in my defense it is the wifes

Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 AM
wwilks
New User
Thanks guy's!
I'll look into to a newer tuner. I have one, but bought it in 98 when I first bought the truck. and it probably doesn't take advantage of the current technology. One thing concerns me though; I've had to perma-tex my intake hoses, because they keep popping off under load. I'm not sure they will hold under increased pressure. Also, will the new digital tuners read pyro-temps from the ECU, or do I need to add leads? I'm not above upgrading the ECU if that will help. After all, I've been driving this rig for 9 years, cost free, and a new one is twice the price I paid for it.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 AM
WA_PSD
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was being sarcastic. Start with a DP Tuner and see how that does. Wakes the hell up out of my truck. I tow 6k in 80 TOW DP and have more power than I need up and down the Cascade mountains, just watch the EGT's. Get gauges if you don't already. Couldn't imagine him blowing you away with DP 80 Tow and a healthy truck. I pretty much pushed a newer cummins up hwy 12 West in Washington recently.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
MauleOne
Elder User
E99

Yeah, get some tunes. The stock E99PSD is only rated at 250 hp. All the newer trucks will pound it.

You have the intake and the exhaust now take advantage wof them.

Plus you didn't say what your final drive ratio is. If you plan on doing heavy towing up mountains you may have to look at a ratio change.

Have fun, that is what it is all about.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The injectors in an e99 are only 120cc as opposed to 140cc in the late 99's and up. These guys are right. Get some tunes and gauges and you will at least be respectable against him. That said, do those things because YOU want them! Not to just beat him. Don't let some guy talk you into doing something you may otherwise not do. If/when you get some tunes, be sure to check about that Banks trans-command. It may or may not work well with tunes.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
And if you want to get the most out of smaller E99 injectors get a T500 HPOP. That has been the best bang for the buck I spent on my E99. The E99 has a 15* HPOP and the T500 is a 17* with modds. There are few great treads out there on E99's and the T500. So tunes and a T500 I promise you will swear you have a different truck And of course gauges is a must !!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
300hp duramax vs a 235hp powerstroke???

Come on man...

Even with a set of stage 1's he would more then likely still walk away from you.

No tuner... NONE is going to make you even keep up, worse yet when pulling.

Sorry, but lets be real.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
300hp duramax vs a 235hp powerstroke???

Come on man...

Even with a set of stage 1's he would more then likely still walk away from you.

No tuner... NONE is going to make you even keep up, worse yet when pulling.

Sorry, but lets be real.
That's assuming the d-max is stock. A good tuner would make his truck run better and be more respectable though.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I've had to perma-tex my intake hoses, because they keep popping off under load.
I guess perma-tex will work, but I would clean both surfaces and spray on a little hair spray before you tighten em down. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Early 99 f350, Airaid intake, 5" Exhaust, Banks trans-command -stomped by drurymax WTH?