Sync help and Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
random question for you guys... i'm installing a Pioneer Avic Z140BH into my 2008 F350 with Navi. My truck doesn't have sync. I have come up with the following parts to do the installation.... do they sound right?

-PAC C2R-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface for Ford

-Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles -Black

-PAC TR7 Universal Trigger Module (only if you want to wire it up so that you don't lose power to your unit while starting your truck)

-PAC SWI-RC (to retain your steering wheel controls)

Now Crutchfield tells me that SWI-RC does not work with the Pioneer unit. Is there any other way for me to retain my steering wheel controls?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
madsonp
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
random question for you guys... i'm installing a Pioneer Avic Z140BH into my 2008 F350 with Navi. My truck doesn't have sync. I have come up with the following parts to do the installation.... do they sound right?

-PAC C2R-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface for Ford

-Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles -Black

-PAC TR7 Universal Trigger Module (only if you want to wire it up so that you don't lose power to your unit while starting your truck)

-PAC SWI-RC (to retain your steering wheel controls)

Now Crutchfield tells me that SWI-RC does not work with the Pioneer unit. Is there any other way for me to retain my steering wheel controls?
I don't think the C2R-FRD1 works with the SWI-RC. I think you'll want to go with this one instead of the two previously mentioned. Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future This has everything in one.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Originally Posted by madsonp
I don't think the C2R-FRD1 works with the SWI-RC. I think you'll want to go with this one instead of the two previously mentioned. Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future This has everything in one.
PAC told me that the unit you mentioned only works on 2009+ trucks that have SYNC. my truck is a 2008 and does not have SYNC

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
madsonp
PAC told me that the unit you mentioned only works on 2009+ trucks that have SYNC. my truck is a 2008 and does not have SYNC
That's funny, it's listed on their web page as being compatible with the 2008's, if you do a search for your year vehicle it comes up on the list of whats compatible with yours. It's also in list of all compatible ford trucks from their web site, yours included. No where in the description of the RP4-FD11 does it say it's only compatible with sync equipped vehicles.

Ford F-150 2009 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-150 2010 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-150 2011 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-150 2012 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-250 2008 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-250 2009 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-250 2010 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-250 2011 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-250 2012 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-350 2008 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-350 2009 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-350 2010 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-350 2011 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-350 2012 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-450 2008 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-450 2009 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-450 2010 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-450 2011 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11
Ford F-450 2012 Radio Replacement RP4-FD11

Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright next option, I only use the sync for my phone, to talk on, so do I really need to maintain sync??? The DNX 9990 has phone hook up, w/ seperate mic, will this allow me to add sirius back as that port will now be available???? I have never used sync for anything but making and receiving calls......can I find the wires to the mic in the roof, I really like the clarity of talking on the phone, .....hum... is theor a better radio that I'm missing, I choosed the dnx because of garmin nav. , any recommendation on changing the door speakers out too? slow learner do you really like the DNX 9990? worth the money?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM
xpl0sive
Tuned
talked to another rep at PAC. he told me that the Rp4-FD11 will in fact work on my truck and it includes the steering wheel control integration. only thing is that I already ordered the C2R-FRD1. I guess i'll have to return it and order the RP4 separetely

Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
bobsplus
Senior User
Alright lets try this, I really don't use the sync except for the phone, so if I ditch the sync, and use the phone mic that comes with the DNX radio, use the pac unit to hook up the steering wheel controls, and can I then add a external sat tuner and use the plug in the back of the radio???? Is the kenwood DNX 9990 radio the best unt to go with, I really like the garmin nav., slow learner are you really happy with the 9990 radio????? I just want to make the right decision with spending this type of money.....work to hard for it.... any recomendation on speakers for the doors, looking for realyy good clear sound, I don't crank the chit out of it, i'm too old.... is their a way to cut into the mic in the roof from ford.?...

Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM
madsonp
talked to another rep at PAC. he told me that the Rp4-FD11 will in fact work on my truck and it includes the steering wheel control integration. only thing is that I already ordered the C2R-FRD1. I guess i'll have to return it and order the RP4 separetely
Wanna see my shocked look ????????? I knew it would work.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by bobsplus
Alright lets try this, I really don't use the sync except for the phone, so if I ditch the sync, and use the phone mic that comes with the DNX radio, use the pac unit to hook up the steering wheel controls, and can I then add a external sat tuner and use the plug in the back of the radio???? Is the kenwood DNX 9990 radio the best unt to go with, I really like the garmin nav., slow learner are you really happy with the 9990 radio????? I just want to make the right decision with spending this type of money.....work to hard for it.... any recomendation on speakers for the doors, looking for realyy good clear sound, I don't crank the chit out of it, i'm too old.... is their a way to cut into the mic in the roof from ford.?...
I'm not a Kenwood person, I prefer Pioneer myself but, I believe you're correct. If you ditch the sync altogether you should be able to hook up a Kenwood satellite tuner to the 9990 that plugs in the back of the unit. I did the same with my Pioneer, I was able to get an extension cable so I could use the Ford satellite antenna and I mounted the Pioneer XM tuner in my center console glove box, this cable maybe different for the Kenwood. You can read about it here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2-f-250-a.html You can also use the Kenwood mic for your phone calls, what some have done was to pull the Ford factory mic out and put the after market mic in it's place. You probably could cut the factory mic if you wanted to but I didn't want to do that myself incase I ever sell the truck I could put it back to stock. As far as speakers, Pioneer make some decent 6X8's that are specific for Fords,they don't cost much, don't sound to bad, and you can get these which makes hooking them up easy METRA 72-5600 SPEAKER CONNECTOR HARNESS FOR FORD VEHICLES ADAPTORS | eBay And I believe this is the Sirius tuner you need for your system. http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainm...ories/KCA-SR50

Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 V, I appreciate your input in this whole Maestro Module. I received notice from my stereo shop that the Module is being shipped tomorrow. So, now the FUN begins of spending MOOLAH to get a Rockin Stereo. I have only listened to Satellite radio maybe once the last 2 months. So, next week I take my truck in for a COMPLETE stereo upgrade.

Getting the Kenwood, Alpine Type Rs in all doors and gonna run Type Rs 10s under the back seat, powered by 2 Fosgate amps, one for the doors and one for the Woofers. Dyna Matting all doors too. Should be a KILLER stereo when Im done and the cost, ha, ha, about $3400. Nice price tag, but gonna sound AWESOME.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bobsplus
Yes, I really like the DNX-9990. Its light years ahead of my old Pioneer AVH-6800DVD (which isn't fair since that model was released in ~2006).
I will say in my past experiences, Kenwood head units were never very reliable, 3 out of 3 that I have owned have broken (2 were excelon). My Pioneer never had an issue in ~6 years of usage.

Those reading are probably wondering why I would go back to Kenwood- Well, the dealer that I bought the unit from swears that Kenwood's quality has improved. Also, I liked the user interface, garmin nav, menu layouts, and the fast processor. Also, the Kenwood 9990 was the only one that offered a "reverse" tilt, which allows the screen to be positioned nearly vertical in our superdutys which have the forward slanted dash. The ability to make the screen nearly vertical helps to cut down on glare during those sunny days.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 AM
12V Guy
Former Vendor
@ CountryD,

Hope you love the upgrade. Please let us know if there are any issues or questions and we will do our best to help you and/or your dealer..

Cheers,

12V Guy

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
Well I finally started the install!!!

First off, I insalled the Kenwood DNX-9990, w/ the pac that controls the steering whell controls, I opted to dump the sync so I could hook up XM, with the factory speakers in my 2011 f250, my first iumpressions of the DNX, noticed a sound improvement thru the factory speakers, the head unit: I'm having difficulties with bluetooth to my android, I can get the phone to work, then not pandora, I have to do it thru the audio, It did work once cause I liked the screen artwork that was visable, the unit has extensive sound adjustements, but the manual dosn't explain what the adjustments do, manual should be more in depth, I decided that I wanted more sound , I have installed Alpine sps-517, again more sound improvement, I have now ordered a sub box, for behind the rear seat w/ 2 12" kickers and 1000 watt kicker amp, waiting for that item, next question should I do a 4 way amp for the door speakers?????. Again te system sounds good but not Killer, I hope the sub system will wake the sound up... any imput would be appreciatiated, also forgot my left rear speaker is not working , crutch. states the pac unit is bad, sending new one.... I'm still trying to figure out if the DNX head unit is worth the money, the garmin gps is not their top of the line gps, slow, no voice command and no speed limit indicator, as my portable garmin had.... with the kicker will have $2100.00 invested... plus camera 150.00

Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
bobsplus,

I can't say that I've had any of the issues you've described (I have an iPhone though).

I have to disagree with you on the GPS comments. My garmin/9990 GPS seems to be plenty fast. Mine has voice command and the speed limit indicator- Are you sure that you just don't have these options turned off?

Right now I have only installed only the DNX-9990 because my kitchen remodel has been taking up all my free time! As soon as I get a chance I have a JL 700/5 amp to power my Boston Acoustics Pro Front and Rear component speaker setups and 2 -10" subwoofers; that should make it sound about right!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
bobsplus
Senior User
I will investigate.,.,,

Quick Reply: Sync help and Head unit