Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sun is behind the clouds today (gonna be a stormy weekend!) and I figured I would start battling the annoying belt squeal I can't seem to get rid of. Started looking at the alignment of the belts and I noticed the A/C compressor looks like it is noticeably "forward' of the other belts. Looking at where the compressor mounts to the bracket, there is some hex head nuts between the bracket and compressor. Seems like that would bring the compressor UP, but not FORWARD. It obviously doesn't look "factory", but did Ford put some kind of spacers there originally? I'm wondering if the bracket that holds the power steering pump and A/C compressor might be mounted wrong. It's not loose, but I believe has been removed by some prior owner. Any adjustments???

Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Upon further study....power steering lines up....bracket is installed ok. If I line up the compressor where it lines up with everything else....it's almost 1/2" out!! I see the compressor has been replaced before, but now I'm scratching my head! I know there are clutch shims, but there is only about an 1/8 inch between the clutch and the compressor housing bolts. Hmmmm.......

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bolted the crappy little tires on the front axle and put it on the ground. It is off the jack stands for the first time this year! Too bad I'm months from driving status.

Nothing happening to the Bronco for the next few days as I will (hopefully) be swapping out the front springs on my Excursion if it doesn't rain all weekend.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Pretty sure I have the correct compressor. It is the FS10...from what I read, that's the compressor that comes with factory A/C Broncos. In moving the compressor around.....the line started leaking. So, I removed it. Previous owner has changed the water pump and the timing cover. Why they changed the timing cover.....I don't know. There was nothing wrong with it. I've got the mounting bracket with the P/S pump off. I figured I might as well get ready to get the steering gear out as well since it has to be changed. Anyway, I'm thinking that when they changed the water pump and timing cover....they missed something going back together. Maybe a shim or spacer where the bracket mounts against the locating stud at the water pump. I'm thinking if I shim that out a little....it will bring the top of the bracket back where it needs to be.........I think!! I guess I will find out when reassembly starts!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
ronjeremy6
Senior User
Ok this is pretty comical. When I bought the truck the driver door didn't lock, windshield leaked and slip yoke was dry. Finally of around to greasing the slip yoke last Sunday.

It rained all day Monday and Tuesday. The windshield didn't leak a drop.

Yesterday I walked past the truck and noticed the driver door look pin was missing. Ran back in, grabbed the key fob, hit unlock and it popped up! Door locked and unlocked yesterday and today!

I can't explain it , but I'm a happy guy!!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I love me a self fixing truck.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sat on the Bronco, warmed the engine out, tried to get off my parking spot and found out the front bearing that was bad finally failed, backed the truck up and took the public transport... I plan on replacing the bearing first time in the morning tomorrow, that and the brake pads, they seemed pretty worn the last time I looked.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
was not a appy trip ome! Keyboard is malfuctionin so bear wit me
wen coastin down a ill te trans slipped out of 3rd and bronco suddere and died, Put it back and let of te clutc and it started bak up, but sounded wron , enine lite came on, no oil pressure or very little, I putted te rest of te way ome wit te lifter rattlin, Now ave to fiure out wat appened!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Lemme give you a hand here

Originally Posted by FourXFord2
Was not a happy trip home! Keyboard is malfunctioning so bear with me.
When coasting down a hill the trans slipped out of 3rd and bronco shuddered and died, Put it back and let of the clutch and it started back up, but sounded wrong, engine light came on, no oil pressure or very little, I putted the rest of the way home with the lifter rattling, Now have to figure out what happened!
There ya go , it appears you are having issue with you're G and H keys.. Bummer. The engine dieing is very weird. How was the temp when it died?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FourXFord2
was not a appy trip ome! Keyboard is malfuctionin so bear wit me
wen coastin down a ill te trans slipped out of 3rd and bronco suddere and died, Put it back and let of te clutc and it started bak up, but sounded wron , enine lite came on, no oil pressure or very little, I putted te rest of te way ome wit te lifter rattlin, Now ave to fiure out wat appened!
Oh man, your keyboard is a comedian
This is hilarious!.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I was going to do ball joint,spindle bearing replacement today but in sunny Florida today we have had 4+ inches of rain already. I do have a carport to do it under but it aint no fun in the rain anyhow.
Oh well, it's not a do or die situation so it'll wait. Might as well have a Budweiser

Old 08-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Well I was going to do ball joint,spindle bearing replacement today but in sunny Florida today we have had 4+ inches of rain already. I do have a carport to do it under but it aint no fun in the rain anyhow.
Oh well, it's not a do or die situation so it'll wait. Might as well have a Budweiser
cant you train them gators to do it?

Old 08-17-2013, 04:34 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried that but they drank all my beer and stole my Bronco.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
turn um into belts!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by b-uno
turn um into belts!
I need a new belt.. Mine's about done for .

I'll get around to looking at my brake leak at some point... Lazyness gets in my way.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?