2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCT Solenoid? Nope

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM
AFMSgt2012
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VCT Solenoid? Nope

A couple of weeks ago my truck started to run really rough, and it tripped an error code pointing to the VCT. Being as diligent as ever, my local dealer swapped the part, and cleared the error. Less than 20 miles later, my truck started doing the same thing........it sounded almost like a deisel at idle. I had the truck taken back to the dealer, and now they are telling me that I might need an entire new long block.

I've been told that the dealership called the Ford techs, and they had them check the tolerance for the phasers, and some other tests that had some fancy names. Bottom line, the said that my oil pressure at idle is at 20psi. They also told me that my oil pump is working properly. How is that possible when my oil gauge was always steady just above halfway? They have also informed me that there is scoring on the camshaft. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

The truck is under warranty, so I am not worried about the cost. I just don't trust this dealership, and I want to make sure that I am asking them the right questions to make sure things get fixed properly.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Katfan27
New User
Does only run rough at idle? If so you have a common issue that most of us have experienced. The reason its reading a lower oil reading is because not enough oil is getting to the head. What causes this usually is a leaking seal on a timing tensioner. If you want to test this theory you can do what i did while im waiting on my parts to come in. I did an oil change using 10w40 high mileage rather than the 5w20 recommended by ford. The reason i used a thicker oil is because the viscosity is greater allowing to pass by the the leaking seals rather than just gush through them like they are currently doing. After i completed the oil change i reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes. Since doing this i have had no codes or any more rough idle. Also before the oil change run some seafoam or your motor flush of choice through your current oil and drain it, this should help if u had any sludge clogging the oil gallies.

If this corrects your problem then you need to get a timing kit for your truck as well as any other damaged parts caused by the oil starvation.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Katfan27
New User
One more thing it will be far cheaper for u to replace these bad parts if you are or know any one thats is handy with engine repair than letting ford replace anything. I believe the timing kit i mentioned earlier is only $189 if that gives you an idea of how bad ford is gonna put the rape stick on you...lol

Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Katfan27
New User
In regards to sounding like a diesel, if is a loud ticking sound that you are referring to that is your cam phaser going bad and that would be why your ecu codes are pointing towards the vct solenoid. The cam phasers can be purchased at rockauto.com for about $120 a piece( you have 2 of them) while your doing the timing job you might as well replace them to save a ton of time later. Also the oil test i specified earlier will not make that ticking go away if it is the cam phaser but it will stop the rough idle problem.

I hope this helps you!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Katfan27
In regards to sounding like a diesel, if is a loud ticking sound that you are referring to that is your cam phaser going bad and that would be why your ecu codes are pointing towards the vct solenoid. The cam phasers can be purchased at rockauto.com for about $120 a piece( you have 2 of them) while your doing the timing job you might as well replace them to save a ton of time later. Also the oil test i specified earlier will not make that ticking go away if it is the cam phaser but it will stop the rough idle problem.

I hope this helps you!
Dorman Cam phasers might cost you $120 a piece.. Though Tousley Ford has the best price for OEM Phasers @ $178 a piece.

Listen - drain your oil and make sure that your engine hasn't gone south ok! 20psi @ hot idle is too low... you need 30psi at a minumum! Also the Oil pressure gauge in your truck is not really a gauge but more like a glorified idiot light... I know because I have ~15psi @ hot idle and the gauge didn't MOVE... Stupid Ford Engineers.

Put a REAL oil pressure gauge on that engine before digging in to a Timing chain set / Phasers etc.... Otherwise trade it in like I did... and move on...

Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM
AFMSgt2012
New User
If the truck wasn't under warranty, I would definitely not have it at the dealer. They have had my truck for 11 days now, and still dont have solid answer for anything. The did manage to pull the oil pan and the valve covers..........I wish I could get by with doing that little in 11 days!

At the very least I am getting new tensioners, phasers, cams, and head. I am trying to use the notes that the dealer made from talking to the Ford techs that said to replace the entire long block.

I have had this truck for 2 months, and this is the 3rd time it has been in for major problems. At this point, I just want the new engine because otherwise I might end up driving this truck through the showroom doors!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Katfan27
New User
Trust me they know what the problem is...this issue is all over the internet now and in their own tsb's...its not a secret. All they are trying to do now is find the cheapest solution for them parts and labor wise if its still under warranty... in addition to that they are trying to find something that will void your warranty like the wrong oil filter or some other bs like that. 11 days really? If the manufacturer dont know how to fix their own product who the **** would?

I say if you get options cause its still under warranty do us all a huge favor and turn the rape stick back on them...lol

Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Katfan27
Trust me they know what the problem is...this issue is all over the internet now and in their own tsb's...its not a secret. All they are trying to do now is find the cheapest solution for them parts and labor wise if its still under warranty... in addition to that they are trying to find something that will void your warranty like the wrong oil filter or some other bs like that. 11 days really? If the manufacturer dont know how to fix their own product who the **** would?

I say if you get options cause its still under warranty do us all a huge favor and turn the rape stick back on them...lol
Yup - Demand a new engine! If they have had the truck for 11 days and you are under warranty - I would pick up the phone to the Ford Customer Care 800-392-3673.

My engine went south and they didn't want to budge.. for a few reasons.. the first and most obvious... it had 86K and was out of warranty.. and secondly.. it was never worked on by Ford(If Ford would have worked on it the cost would have been well over $4000). I did all the work replacing Phasers, Timing chain set, plugs, vct soleniods - only to find out I had the 15psi oil pressure... Since I had no desire to turn wrench on that engine anymore( I already spent $1500 in parts and well over 20 hours of my time).. I Jammed some 15W40 Rotella in the engine and traded it in!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
AFMSgt2012
New User
Well, I talked to the dealer again this morning.......and got the part by part breakdown of what was wrong and why. Then, I told them that I would be hiring an attorney if they didn't replace the engine that they said was bad.

Magically, they now have the engine pulled completely apart, and the thrush bearings are also warped. They have the warranty "inspector" coming out tomorrow to verify.

I am trying my hardest to force their hand and put an engine in this truck. If they don't, I will trade it, but I hate to push that problem off on someone else.

These morons are trying to tell me that they are looking at replacing the head, cams, and some other parts. However, if the thrush bearings are warped, it will only be a matter of time before some other serious crap is broke.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AFMSgt2012
I am trying my hardest to force their hand and put an engine in this truck. If they don't, I will trade it, but I hate to push that problem off on someone else.

These morons are trying to tell me that they are looking at replacing the head, cams, and some other parts. However, if the thrush bearings are warped, it will only be a matter of time before some other serious crap is broke.
Why should you hate to have someone else deal with a problem that FORD won't fix under warranty? I mean you have what? 70,000-80,000 miles on the Truck? I mean seriously... I don't car what brand vehicle you have.... NO vehicle Should need over $5000 worth of ENGINE work on a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles... Heck, it shouldn't need $5000 worth of work at one-time on ANY problem at a 100,000 miles...

I hope you are getting a rental vehicle during this extended vehicle repair....

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
AFMSgt2012
New User
The truck has 72,500 miles on it, so you are absolutely right that it shouldn't be needing this type of work. I do have a rental car, and I can't wait to get rid of it. I was really hard to go from a full size truck to a Hyundai.

At this point, I am going to wait and see what the tell me, and if it isn't what I want to hear I am going to raise hell until the fix it the right way. The warranty company is supposed to come look at the truck tomorrow, so I will update once I hear from them.