Sponsored by: Moser

installing emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
electricguru
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing emblems

Hi all... when i bought my truck, the emblems were all removed, but the guy was gracious enough to keep them all packaged together... i'd like to throw them back on now, but i have no clue as to what holds them on behind the body... any ideas of what the pieces are, and where i could find them?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
They are held together by a adhesive. I am not sure which adhesive to recommend to you, but 3m makes multiple types of liquid adhesive. Maybe someone who has done it before will chime in. I will have to install my emblems back on my truck soon as well.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
electricguru
New User
Originally Posted by keiths78f150
They are held together by a adhesive. I am not sure which adhesive to recommend to you, but 3m makes multiple types of liquid adhesive. Maybe someone who has done it before will chime in. I will have to install my emblems back on my truck soon as well.
Actually, i have the version(s) with the small posts, that were held on with some type of clamp... But i can tell they broke them off in order to remove them... I can still see pieces of what broke still on a few of the posts...

I still haven't painted it yet, so i need a temp solution...

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
If they had posts in the back, that means they used to have holes in the body that they fit into. My 04 Mustang emblems are like that. They were glued as well. I dont know buddy, like I said, maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Barrel clips, but if the studs are broken off the emblems you'll need to improvise, or buy new emblems.

Cowl Emblem Barrel Clips 73-79 (one emblem)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
crazyeddie
Senior User
Are the emblems new or used? They should have posts on the back side that coordinate with the holes in the body and they are retained by special nuts that cut their own threads into the posts.

Problem 1: If they are used emblems, there may be some posts missing

Problem 2: If the posts are intact but were previously installed, with threads already cut into the posts, the nuts won't hold the emblems as tight as they should be and are also prone to stripping; one hard pothole and you have a lost emblem

Problem 3: If they are reproduction emblems (from LMC or such) they are not half as durable as the originals and the nuts will thread halfway down the post until they get tight, then they will twist and break off before even contacting the body.

Problem 4: Adhesive strips or glue won't work with the majority of the emblems because they are hollow - there's not enough surface area to make sufficient contact; and again you have a lost emblem

The solution!: Barrell clips! They're like $5 for a box of fifty and can be found at your auto parts or hardware store. They snap into the corresponding holes, you line up your emblem, and hammer it in with your fist. Just make sure you get the right size clips otherwise they won't fit the body or posts and you will have a loose fit or if they are too tight you will break off posts.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyeddie
Problem 4: Adhesive strips or glue won't work with the majority of the emblems because they are hollow - there's not enough surface area to make sufficient contact; and again you have a lost emblem.
Solution: If the posts are broken off then break all of them off and sand flush. Now fill the hollow back sides with fast setting epoxy. Now apply 3M trim tape and using an Xacto knife, trim off the excess to reveal the silhouette of the emblem. Stick 'em on.

Works good for emblems with thick strokes... tough to do on bed scripts but you get the idea.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
crazyeddie
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Solution: If the posts are broken off then break all of them off and sand flush. Now fill the hollow back sides with fast setting epoxy. Now apply 3M trim tape and using an Xacto knife, trim off the excess to reveal the silhouette of the emblem. Stick 'em on.

Works good for emblems with thick strokes... tough to do on bed scripts but you get the idea.
That's a genious idea!

Only thing I question about it though is how good the tape holds - the emblems themselves are pretty hefty as they are, now fill them with epoxy and you have a pretty heavy brick on your hands.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyeddie
That's an ingenious idea!

Only thing I question about it though is how good the tape holds - the emblems themselves are pretty hefty as they are, now fill them with epoxy and you have a pretty heavy brick on your hands.
Thanks.

Epoxy is relatively light...If overall weight is still a concern, then consider lightweight body filler. However, it is subject to expansion and contraction - moreso than metal. But a broken emblem doesn't do any good so it's worth a try.

3M trim tape (PN 03609) sticks really well. I wouldn't consider any other brand cuz those guys do their homework.