Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   installing emblems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1181701-installing-emblems.html)

electricguru 08-10-2012 11:02 AM

installing emblems

Hi all... when i bought my truck, the emblems were all removed, but the guy was gracious enough to keep them all packaged together... i'd like to throw them back on now, but i have no clue as to what holds them on behind the body... any ideas of what the pieces are, and where i could find them?

keiths78f150 08-10-2012 11:17 AM

They are held together by a adhesive. I am not sure which adhesive to recommend to you, but 3m makes multiple types of liquid adhesive. Maybe someone who has done it before will chime in. I will have to install my emblems back on my truck soon as well.

electricguru 08-10-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by keiths78f150 (Post 12152215)
They are held together by a adhesive. I am not sure which adhesive to recommend to you, but 3m makes multiple types of liquid adhesive. Maybe someone who has done it before will chime in. I will have to install my emblems back on my truck soon as well.

Actually, i have the version(s) with the small posts, that were held on with some type of clamp... But i can tell they broke them off in order to remove them... I can still see pieces of what broke still on a few of the posts...

I still haven't painted it yet, so i need a temp solution...

keiths78f150 08-10-2012 11:31 AM

If they had posts in the back, that means they used to have holes in the body that they fit into. My 04 Mustang emblems are like that. They were glued as well. I dont know buddy, like I said, maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

montana_highboy 08-10-2012 11:38 AM

Barrel clips, but if the studs are broken off the emblems you'll need to improvise, or buy new emblems.

Cowl Emblem Barrel Clips 73-79 (one emblem)

crazyeddie 08-10-2012 11:47 AM

Are the emblems new or used? They should have posts on the back side that coordinate with the holes in the body and they are retained by special nuts that cut their own threads into the posts.

Problem 1: If they are used emblems, there may be some posts missing

Problem 2: If the posts are intact but were previously installed, with threads already cut into the posts, the nuts won't hold the emblems as tight as they should be and are also prone to stripping; one hard pothole and you have a lost emblem

Problem 3: If they are reproduction emblems (from LMC or such) they are not half as durable as the originals and the nuts will thread halfway down the post until they get tight, then they will twist and break off before even contacting the body.

Problem 4: Adhesive strips or glue won't work with the majority of the emblems because they are hollow - there's not enough surface area to make sufficient contact; and again you have a lost emblem

The solution!: Barrell clips! They're like $5 for a box of fifty and can be found at your auto parts or hardware store. They snap into the corresponding holes, you line up your emblem, and hammer it in with your fist. Just make sure you get the right size clips otherwise they won't fit the body or posts and you will have a loose fit or if they are too tight you will break off posts.

HIO Silver 08-10-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by crazyeddie (Post 12152288)
Problem 4: Adhesive strips or glue won't work with the majority of the emblems because they are hollow - there's not enough surface area to make sufficient contact; and again you have a lost emblem.

Solution: If the posts are broken off then break all of them off and sand flush. Now fill the hollow back sides with fast setting epoxy. Now apply 3M trim tape and using an Xacto knife, trim off the excess to reveal the silhouette of the emblem. Stick 'em on.

Works good for emblems with thick strokes... tough to do on bed scripts but you get the idea.

crazyeddie 08-10-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by HIO Silver (Post 12152392)
Solution: If the posts are broken off then break all of them off and sand flush. Now fill the hollow back sides with fast setting epoxy. Now apply 3M trim tape and using an Xacto knife, trim off the excess to reveal the silhouette of the emblem. Stick 'em on.

Works good for emblems with thick strokes... tough to do on bed scripts but you get the idea.

That's a genious idea!

Only thing I question about it though is how good the tape holds - the emblems themselves are pretty hefty as they are, now fill them with epoxy and you have a pretty heavy brick on your hands.

HIO Silver 08-10-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by crazyeddie (Post 12152458)
That's an ingenious idea!

Only thing I question about it though is how good the tape holds - the emblems themselves are pretty hefty as they are, now fill them with epoxy and you have a pretty heavy brick on your hands.

Thanks.

Epoxy is relatively light...If overall weight is still a concern, then consider lightweight body filler. However, it is subject to expansion and contraction - moreso than metal. But a broken emblem doesn't do any good so it's worth a try.

3M trim tape (PN 03609) sticks really well. I wouldn't consider any other brand cuz those guys do their homework.