Need Advice..2010 5.4 FX4 SCREW

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Advice..2010 5.4 FX4 SCREW

Fellas,
I am about to come join the F150 club, been driving diesels. No longer have a use for one. I am looking at a used 2010 FX4 SCREW with the 5.4 with about 49K miles on it. My dad has this same truck and with about 80k miles on it, and has a been a true work horse. Brotherinlaw has a 05 with the 5.4 and has 100k, no powertrain issues. Buddy has an 08 F250 work truck with about 120k miles on it with the 5.4, has not had any issues.

Again, i am new to the gas burners. Are these pretty trouble free trucks? Anything i should be concerned with for this particular year model?

How well do these trucks do with tuners, CAI, and exhaust?

Again, i am new..

I appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Other than one reflash to smooth out upshifting and another two to address the A/C performance, I have had zero issues. I went from a 2003 diesel crew cab and this is way more maneuverable in parking lots. Other than some appearance changes, I kept mine stock except for a pair of inch and a half front leveling spacers. From what I've read here and on other forums, either a CAI or an aftermarket exhaust don't make enough improvement to justify their cost...they just make more noise. Also, my truck gets around 2-3 mpg better than my son's 2006 5.4 with CAI and BB exhaust.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold my 2006 5.4 to my son when I bought my current EcoBoost.

Bought the Edge Tuner and ran it in Tow Haul mode as a rule. I really liked the 4-up gauge display. It did increase response as well. Not sure about CAI as I did not run one. I did add a Magnaflow Muffler for better sound but did not notice any real gain from it.

Only Issue I know of has been the problems surrounding changing of spark plugs.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
Other than one reflash to smooth out upshifting and another two to address the A/C performance, I have had zero issues. I went from a 2003 diesel crew cab and this is way more maneuverable in parking lots. Other than some appearance changes, I kept mine stock except for a pair of inch and a half front leveling spacers. From what I've read here and on other forums, either a CAI or an aftermarket exhaust don't make enough improvement to justify their cost...they just make more noise. Also, my truck gets around 2-3 mpg better than my son's 2006 5.4 with CAI and BB exhaust.
Tell me more about this please. My son took over my 2006 5.4 and says the AC is not up to par with his last vehicle. I never really had an issue as when I leave work its about 1 mile and I hit the highway. He does city driving all the way home.

TIA, Don

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally,and after taking it in to two dealer service departments, I complained to Ford Customer Service that it took driving around five miles or so before you could even feel significantly cold air from the dash vents. They had a field engineer stop by and check out my truck. He compared pressures side-by-side with a brand new truck on the lot. The new one had lower high side pressures and cooled better, so he had that version of the PCM programming loaded. It did improve somewhat. A year and a half later, and after riding in my son's 2011 F-150 I realized mine could cool a whole lot better, so I brought it back again. The tech ran the VIN and saw that there was an even later reflash designed to address A/C cooling issues. I don't know what all it did, but it now produces dash temps of 41 degrees at 105 degrees ambient temp within a couple of miles. Still takes seemingly forever to cool the cab and is a far cry from my 2003 Superduty which would freeze you out in no time, even after seven years. Even the dog refuses to ride in the back seat during the summer.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
Originally,and after taking it in to two dealer service departments, I complained to Ford Customer Service that it took driving around five miles or so before you could even feel significantly cold air from the dash vents. They had a field engineer stop by and check out my truck. He compared pressures side-by-side with a brand new truck on the lot. The new one had lower high side pressures and cooled better, so he had that version of the PCM programming loaded. It did improve somewhat. A year and a half later, and after riding in my son's 2011 F-150 I realized mine could cool a whole lot better, so I brought it back again. The tech ran the VIN and saw that there was an even later reflash designed to address A/C cooling issues. I don't know what all it did, but it now produces dash temps of 41 degrees at 105 degrees ambient temp within a couple of miles. Still takes seemingly forever to cool the cab and is a far cry from my 2003 Superduty which would freeze you out in no time, even after seven years. Even the dog refuses to ride in the back seat during the summer.

Could not help but laugh at this about the dog.

Thanks for the update. I will advise my son and see if he wants to persue it with his.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2010 is a tank it pulls as well as my 72 ford f250 Ranger and has way more capacity when it comes to towing. but it dose have a computer controlled transmission that seems to shift harder than i was or am used to (with out a shift kit) i have had it in the shop more than care to have. last time in they replaced the trans Marconi valve body witch has help some. you coming from a big truck you won't be able to get used to the room in the crew cabs (it is huge). the 5.4 i have, out pull my bosses 5.0 as long as you got the 6 speed behind it. i think till you go 3.5 tt or the 6.2 the 5.4 is the best motor out there but thats my thoughts may not be right but i stand buy my thoughts!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the 3rd brake light leaking, mine has been great at just over 2 years and 37,000 miles. I've hauled a lot in the bed, a lot in a trailer, and a lot in both at the same time (yep, way overloaded that day) with no issues.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love mine! Like Brad, I had a leak that I just ran a bead of silicone around, done and done. I run a 40 series SI/DO Flowmaster because I love the sound of it. No real issues other than the crappy stock speakers. Came from a 6.0 KR CC, sure I miss it but not the headache it became. Love this F150 with right at 25K, and a $25 OC done by me is a win/win compared to $100+ with the 6.0. And I have a small tweak from 5Star that makes the driving more enjoyable Good luck, and let us know what you decide.