Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assistance needed in removing oil pan 302 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
TruckDoggy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assistance needed in removing oil pan 302 engine

I need to replace m oil pump and rod bearings on my 96 F150, but need to drop the oil pan to do so. I tried lifting the front of the engine by the crank pulley, but there was not enough clearance to get the pan out. I do have an engine hoist, but would need to go and get it as I let someone borrow it. I thought about jacking up at the bell housing and the front, but don't want to risk breaking anything. If I do go the hoist route, I see there is a lifting eye up front, but none in the back. Where could I bolt a chain to on the rear of the engine to lift the engine up enough to get the oil pan dropped and out of the way?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
aguitarestv
Senior User
found this using the advanced search, hope it helps

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-removal.html

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
aguitarestv
Senior User
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 AM
TruckDoggy
New User
Thanks for the reply. I originally found this myself, however I do not want to lift the engine by the oil pan as this seems like a bad idea. Also, I already have the oil pan unbolted and just hanging there, so I'll probably end up using the crane to lift up the engine. I just need info on where exactly to lift from the back, seeing as there is only one lifting eye up front. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
TruckDoggy
New User
Well, I was under the truck today and think I might be able to get the pan out with lifting the engine at the bellhousing and up front. This should give me enough clearance to get the oil pan out, hopefully. Using the hoist would do about the same it seems just by lifting the front alone. Actually, it looks like if I can get it up enough I can pull the pan out through the front rather than the back since I have the y-pipe somewhat in the way. I couldn't drop that down all the way since there is that pesky piece of pipe that goes from the front catalytic converter up to the engine ( I guess for emissions), and I couldn't get it to break free from the converter without other damage that I don't care to fix. I'll play with it some more this week.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 AM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a bit uncertain what you intend to do. Are you planning on lifting the engine with the transmission still attached? I'm in the middle of this job right now. I jacked the engine up by the oil pan with some wood blocks. That is the procedure in the Ford Engine Shop Manual.

I removed the upper intake, but another limiting factor to how high I could go was the bellhousing itself. It would hit the body. I removed the Y-pipe and the converter, but not the transmission crossmember. I just unbolted the rear mount so I could move it as need be. Doing it this way, I had JUST enough room to get the pan out. I don't understand how it could come out towards the front.

Here are removal procedures from the alldatadiy website:

Removal

1.Remove the bolts attaching the fan shroud the radiator and position the fan shroud over the fan assembly.
2.Remove the upper intake manifold.
3.Raise the vehicle.
4.Remove exhaust manifold exhaust pipe.
5.Disconnect the oil cooler line at the left side of the radiator if equipped with an automatic transmission.
6.Remove the nuts and lockwashers attaching the engine support insulators to the chassis bracket.
7.Drain the crankcase.
8.Loosen transmission mounting nuts.
9.Raise the engine and place wood blocks securely under the engine supports.
10.Remove the oil pan attaching bolts and lower the oil pan onto the crossmember.
11.Remove the two bolts attaching the oil pump screen cover and tube to the oil pump. Remove nut attaching oil pump screen cover and tube to the number 3 main bearing cap stud. Lower the oil pump screen cover and tube into the oil pan.
12.Remove the oil pan from the vehicle.

This is for a 2wd 1991 5.0. If you keep the transmission attached, I don't see how it will come up as far as your wanting. I hope this helps some!

Chris

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
TruckDoggy
New User
I got it out this morning doing the exact thing I made mention of in my earlier post. I jacked up the tranny/engine at the bellhousing first and put a wood block under the crossmember and the tranny itself. Then I jacked up the front and placed a block under each mounting hole for the engine. Then, I just had enough room to get in under the pan and remove the oil pump and pick-up assembly. From there, these dropped into the pan and I pulled out the pan from the back. I thought that I could pull it from the front, but just not enough room. Anyway, on to the next step.

By the way, I also read the AllData info first before doing this. The step that mentions removing the transmission mounting nuts were the ones that attach it to the crossmember, and not the bolts connecting it up to the engine. In an event, I'm just glad I was able to do it so I can get on with getting the rod bearings in and having my truck back up and running.