Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dp or gearhead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dp or gearhead?

Right now i have a dp in the truck and have been looking at maybe switching over to gearhead tunes (matt robinson) i have been hearing good things about his tuning. What would be the advantages and dis advantages of this change? Also if you have anyother suggestions chime in.....Thank you.... .JOSH BYERLY

Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I do not have DP tunes personally.Really just because I had the chip before I knew about DP Tuner.
What I do know is that there are many on here that really like Jody's tunes and I read all the time that the customer service is very good.
I am satisfied with my tunes and already have alot of money tied up in them so it works for me.
Jody will reburn your chip if you want.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gearhead...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by STROKED-OUT
Right now i have a dp in the truck and have been looking at maybe switching over to gearhead tunes (matt robinson) i have been hearing good things about his tuning. What would be the advantages and dis advantages of this change? Also if you have anyother suggestions chime in.....Thank you.... .JOSH BYERLY

Like Barry said, you can have your DP reburned ( updates) if you wish, this is a matter of a wait. It doesnt say how long ago you had DP done.

Gearhead, sorry, can not comment, dont know anything about them, it Looks like Joe might.

there is also PHP, Swamps, Brian at BTS does tunning.. there are a LOT of choices.

If you have the money, shop around, if you want change in performance, or there is something you think is missing, call DP and ask them what they might be able to do.

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by just another truck
Like Barry said, you can have your DP reburned ( updates) if you wish, this is a matter of a wait. It doesnt say how long ago you had DP done.

Gearhead, sorry, can not comment, dont know anything about them, it Looks like Joe might.

there is also PHP, Swamps, Brian at BTS does tunning.. there are a LOT of choices.

If you have the money, shop around, if you want change in performance, or there is something you think is missing, call DP and ask them what they might be able to do.

Good Luck!!!
UH OH!!! here we go again!!! Sorry Joe couldn't resist

Advantage, you get to try out some new tunes from a different tuner with a very good reputation...

Disadvantage, you gotta buy a new chip (ts switch, or whatever they are using now) and you gotta spend more money on tunes.

Just my $.02

Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

I had DP, changed to Gearhead and prefer Gearhead. Better shifting, more power, less smoke. Plus Matt offers free reburns for life, can't really beat that. I was able to sell my DP to someone here and made back most of the cost of the new TS chip from Matt.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You forgot Beans, I've been looking at them as well.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by just another truck

Good Luck!!!

Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
UH OH!!! here we go again!!! Sorry Joe couldn't resist

Advantage, you get to try out some new tunes from a different tuner with a very good reputation...

Disadvantage, you gotta buy a new chip (ts switch, or whatever they are using now) and you gotta spend more money on tunes.

Just my $.02

Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

Honestly, I was not going that route, I was being sincere, otherwise I would have thought he would have given other choices as well.

But I can see how ya got that. But no, that was not where I was going. Funny..

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

I am very curious about Matt's tunes, I really think he is doing some pretty awesome things.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
Originally Posted by riverrat41
I do not have DP tunes personally.Really just because I had the chip before I knew about DP Tuner.
What I do know is that there are many on here that really like Jody's tunes and I read all the time that the customer service is very good.
I am satisfied with my tunes and already have alot of money tied up in them so it works for me.
Jody will reburn your chip if you want.
Kinda the same situation when i bought the truck my uncle had already put the dp on it and the truck runs great with it......i just have been hearing great things about other tuners and am trying to figure out if one has more advantages than the other.....and like you said with the money you already have in your chip and dont want to have to spend the money to get new makes sense lol......i may give jody a call and see what it may cost to have it updated..... i am unsure how long ago my uncle had put the dp on and since then i have done a couple diff mods so having it updated my be helpful.....

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robert6401
I am very curious about Matt's tunes, I really think he is doing some pretty awesome things.
While at RRE i heard some great things and that is what brought the tuner to my attention

Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I installed a DP in my truck in '08,I've had it updated a couple times and had the shifting/TC lock up tweaked a little but other than that I'm happy.I would like to try other tuners(PHP,Gearhead to name a couple) but I have too much money in my DP.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM
STROKED-OUT
Senior User
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I installed a DP in my truck in '08,I've had it updated a couple times and had the shifting/TC lock up tweaked a little but other than that I'm happy.I would like to try other tuners(PHP,Gearhead to name a couple) but I have too much money in my DP.
Did you notice a difference after having it updated?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
From what I hear about DP and people commenting about how much smoke they can make in their 80e tune, I know that would be a big difference. Matts goal is to have as little smoke as possible. After all it is just wasted fuel. I was making more smoke than I thought I should based on what I had read on his sight. He sent me a new chip with his updated tunes. He is hard to get hold of on the phone cause he has a day job at an engineering firm, but he answers emails promptly in the evenings. I personally like the non electronic discrete 6 position switch.
All this being said I have never tried DP and I know he has a big following.

Quick Reply: dp or gearhead?