Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2013 1.6L Escape recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
my02ctd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called the dealer where I purchased it today. They havnt called me yet! I talk to the service manager and he said that they will come and get it but only take it to my area dealer which doesnt have a very good reputation. I asked about the loaner and he said that I have to rent it from Enterprise car rental for $50. I told him that this area dealer doesnt have that and they dont have anything thats any good to even drive. He told me I would have to either take it there or drive it to them and they will fix it while I wait but they dont have the parts yet so it will be next week some time. OK now Im PO'ed. So I call Ford customer service. Absolutely got no where!! The guy on the other end could hardly speak english even tho it says to "press 1 for english" and he couldnt understand me and he didnt even know what I was talking about with a fuel problem with the escape. I hung up on him! Really PO'ed now. I called the wife told her to get the mail. Maybe some thing from ford. Yup There was a letter telling us about the problem. It says in the letter to stop driving it immediately. Notify your dealer and they will come pick it up and give you a loaner of equal value. Nothing about being a rental. Nothing about towing to the nearest dealer. So I called my dealer back. Nope! Will not do. He said they will come and TOW it to my area dealer. Not haul it Tow it !! And its up to the area dealer to supply the loaner! He also told me it would be next week before they would have the parts to fix it. In the letter from ford I got today said the parts are at the dealers now, today the 23rd.WOW I am really getting the run around!! Dont know what else or who else to contact. There has to be other people out there getting the same run around. You would think there would be more reports of this happening in the news. I dont know. I never thought Ford would do this to people. Especially a serious thing like a gas leak and fire!!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
tcesni
Elder User
There is a difference between "haul it" and "tow it"? That is news to me. You deserve to be treated right but realistically Ford isn't going to have replacement parts for 7,000 vehicles overnight as someone has to manufacture them, ship them, etc.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
tcesni
Elder User
One other idea, call your local TV station (if you have one) and tell them about the run around you've been getting. They love stories like this and that should get your local dealer off their ***.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM
my02ctd
New User
By towing , the vehicle is pulled behind another vehicle like a tow truck would do. To haul it would be to load the vehicle on a flat bed truck or trailer. Well I bit the bullet and Im taking it to the area ford dealer tomorrow to get fixed. The wife is about to have a nervous break down from driving it to work. Im not going to take the car rental. Im going to have her drive my diesel pickup and I will drive the old pickup. I actually went to another competitor dealer and talked about trading it off. He would definitely do a trade, he is a friend of mine, but he talked me out of doing that and go get it fixed. He said thats the way it usually works with any car dealer whether we like it or not. I showed him the letter I got from Ford and what the dealer was telling me and he thought that was quite strange that they would be so different but he said if I drove it to the dealer where I purchased it and it caught fire, he thought I would have no grounds for coming after ford because I passed my area Ford dealer who is the closest to me to have it fixed. So it will be done tomorrow. I realize my dealer where I bought it is just going by the instructions they are getting. So no hard feelings, just bummed the way its being handled. I really love the Escape tho and would recommed it but just make sure this recall is done ! LOL!! Thanks to all that read my posts and gave me support. Nice people here!

Last edited by my02ctd; 07-25-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: finish sentence
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you would think the salesperson would be a stand up person and come and get yours and drop off a car to use.This way you would send people his way installed of being given the run around from the dealer and getting you and your wife worked up I hope your experiance tomorrow will be positive as it can be. It maybe to late for this I am on another web site that has people from Ford reading I posted your story and they said to call Ford customer service Request your case to be escalated.Maybe this will help 1-800-392-3673 is Ford cus. phone no.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
my02ctd
New User
Yeah you would think the sales person would do that or the dealer . If they did I would tell people how great I was treated by them and ford and send people their way but NO they could care less. Wont bother to go above and beyond to help their customers out and get great free advertising!! I called customer service. The recording says press one for english press such and such number for recall. I went thru that only to get a guy on the phone from India or some place. He spoke so poor english that I had a very hard time understanding him and I tried to tell him what I was calling about and he couldnt understand what I was saying and had no clue about any recall !! It was a complete disaster !! I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it right away and we are up and running again!! Well untill I try to get the other recall done for the carpeting getting up behind the brake pedal and you cant stop!! LOL!! OH GEEZ!! All I can do is just laugh about it. Its so stupid!! LOL All was so good until there was a problem and they just looked the other way.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Its sad the way some dealers are, my current dealer is great for service.

Saw my first 13' 2.0 eco at the dealer Saterday. Looks really nice, love the interior, wife keeps talking about. We want to get her a new vehicle this fall, if its an Escape I wonder if we should hold off buying one and let Ford get the bugs worked out first.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
itherrkr
Freshman User
I don't blame you. Crappy dealers should not get the time of day, and definitely not the opportunity to fix something. Ford should step up to the plate and let the customer determine the dealer he prefers. Within reason of course.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
my02ctd
New User
2ndstroke dont shy away from it tho. It is a really nice outfit. There will be something coming up with any new vehicle. Im just really upset on how I was being treated by Ford and my dealer. Ford was telling me one thing and then telling the dealer another thing. The dealer I bought this from is the largest one in the my state but really dropped the ball on it. I was planning on buying a new truck for my b-day next month but reconsidering in buying Ford.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM
itherrkr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by my02ctd
2ndstroke dont shy away from it tho. It is a really nice outfit. There will be something coming up with any new vehicle. Im just really upset on how I was being treated by Ford and my dealer. Ford was telling me one thing and then telling the dealer another thing. The dealer I bought this from is the largest one in the my state but really dropped the ball on it. I was planning on buying a new truck for my b-day next month but reconsidering in buying Ford.
Please don't make your decision about Ford, based on a dealer. Just like here, there are good dealers and bad. My Ford dealer in Nampa is awesome! Find a good dealer and see what they will do for you!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by my02ctd
Your story is definitely upsetting, I would like to wait a bit and let the bugs get worked out, but the wife is already talking about buying before the employee pricing rebates are over! Happy wife, happy life right?

I must agree with itherrkr, I'm on my second Ford dealer now and I'm quite happy with the way my new dealer treats their customers. After ditching my first dealer it took me shopping around at three other dealers before I bought from my current dealer. Hopefully you can find a good dealer as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
DBubba
Freshman User
It is disappointing to hear this interaction with any Ford dealer. All Ford dealers are not the same just like the Dicks Sporting Goods near my house. Their customer service skills are lacking and management does not care. I did purchase a Escape 2.0 Titanium last week even though I heard about these recalls. I agree that it is a supplier issue and this is the 1.6 ECO is the newest in the family and there may be a few issues. I might have issues crop up with my 2.0 but am confident in my dealer and Ford to make it right. It is an awesome vehicle and top of the market in my eyes.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Dealers are great when you buy, but sadly only a few follow that into the service dept. Go on EcoBoost board & look at the complaints about dealers. Those that are feeling good about their dealership then the Sales Dept did their job. Because the customer surveys come out soon after the sale not after you need warranty work. It isn't just Ford it is all.
Craig

Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM
ksubigbuck
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, let me get this straight. The dealer you bought it from is a long ways away. They said you need to take it to the local dealer (right down the road). Local dealer will fix problem and give you a loaner. But, you don't want to deal with the local dealer...you want to deal with the dealership you bought it from.

Sounds like you are being a bit unreasonable. What if I bought a car in Oregon but moved to Texas. Should the dealer in Oregon drive a rental to Texas? Of course not, it gets handled through the LOCAL DEALER.