Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Next step?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next step?

I know there is some sort of road map out there for mods, but I cannot seem to find it and for the life of me cannot figure out why it is not a sticky.

So, I've got a budget of 500+/- a 100 or so. I'm looking to drop coin on something for the truck, before I do something stupid like buy ANOTHER project.

I'm looking at either a T500 or a chip. Pretty much set on the DP F6 at this point.

I'm not looking to build some crazy drag truck or anything like that. My HPOP is just getting a little long in the tooth and I think it could use some time on the shelf.

As far as the chip goes, I am running a Superchips Flashpaq at the moment, with the Mileage XPS tune to save fuel.

Believe my signature is up to date with mods at the moment. So, what say you? T500 or the chip?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the tuning you currently run, do you get a 1211 code? In the hottest tune do you know what ICP pressure you will hold at?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
With the tuning you currently run, do you get a 1211 code? In the hottest tune do you know what ICP pressure you will hold at?
I definitely get a 1211 at the moment. I haven't run AE while laying in to it, but I get the tell-tale "check engine" light for 1-5 minutes after "merging" level acceleration.

And the hot tune on the Flashpaq will trip it as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Back before I picked up AE, I had Pocket hook me up with some knowledge and a scan. Not knowing that I should have been running the stock tune while he was looking at it, he immediately noted the extended pulse width on the injectors and asked me what tune I was running.

I know DPs tunes mitigate or eliminate the 1211 by keeping PW at acceptable levels, or I think I know that.

In either case, T500 or tuner, the one not selected will follow in purchase, when time and money allow.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
That being said, get a TS chip and have Curtis write some tunes for you.

The pump could be weak, or it could be tuning related as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Gauges!! Then get the chip... I don't think you will notice the difference with the t-500 until after the tunes are in. just my $.02

Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
Gauges!! Then get the chip... I don't think you will notice the difference with the t-500 until after the tunes are in. just my $.02
Oops. A signature oversight. I have a 4 gauge pod over the mirror running Isspro boost, trans, and EGT gauges.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
That being said, get a TS chip and have Curtis write some tunes for you.

The pump could be weak, or it could be tuning related as well.
Only problem with that is I don't know Curtis well enough to just ask him to write me some tunes. Looking over his previous threads concerning his custom programming, I am certainly drooling.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my opinion on mod order:

1. Open Intake (you've done that)
2. Open Exhaust (either straight pipe, straight-thru muffler, or full 4" turbo-back)
3. Delete AIH ($5 plug)
4. High Pressure Oil crossover ($50-80)
5. Fuel Pressure crossover / regulated return (optional...I really like it)
6. Gauges
7. Chip (never without gauges)
8. HPOP upgrade (unless it goes out before you can chip the truck)

At any time, I also highly recommend bypass filters for your oil, coolant, and maybe a pre-pump fuel filter at 2 microns.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478
Here's my opinion on mod order:

1. Open Intake- DONE
2. Open Exhaust- DONE
3. Delete AIH- DONE, feeds my boost gauge now
4. High Pressure Oil crossover ($50-80)
5. Fuel Pressure crossover / regulated return (optional...I really like it)
6. Gauges- DONE
7. Chip- Eh, sorta done?
8. HPOP upgrade (unless it goes out before you can chip the truck)
I'm leaning towards HPOP now rather than later. I'd hate to drop coin on the chip only to install it and have it possibly push my HPOP over the edge. I could do the chip now, but then I would be tempted to baby the truck until I bought the HPOP for fear of losing it. I suppose what I REALLY need to do is run a good AE session and see how healthy my current HPOP is.

At any time, I also highly recommend bypass filters for your oil, coolant, and maybe a pre-pump fuel filter at 2 microns.
I'm planning a series of bypass installs to occur during my 200k services, which should be coming up in the next 60 days.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I did the FRx... good call, hands down. I've read and heard conflicting results on the HPX - I understand the premise and it sounds good, but many say "meh".

I did chip first, then AE told me I needed the HPOP on my antiquated stock injectors. I'm getting ready to go with Stage 1 160s, and that will bring the ICP up as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
If it was a TS chip or an F5, I'd say T500 first. Then the tunes would have the T500 taken into account when written. But if you get an F6 first the tune can be easily adjusted for the T500 (plus the inevitable sticks and turbo!) and downloaded whenever that install happens. And the tunes on the F6 will give you gi-normous fun immediately!

Get a 6.0 trans cooler before you tow heavy with it.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I did the FRx... good call, hands down.
Care to expound on that? What issues were you experiencing before that you could not continue to live with? What performance results did you see after?

I've read and heard conflicting results on the HPX - I understand the premise and it sounds good, but many say "meh".
I'm going to have to do some thread trawling for HPx install results. Between the HPx and FRx, I was thinking the HPx might have been the more attractive upgrade. But to be honest, I don't spend near enough time drilling down on all these details to be confident in that assessment.

I did chip first, then AE told me I needed the HPOP on my antiquated stock injectors. I'm getting ready to go with Stage 1 160s, and that will bring the ICP up as well.

Okay. Did you have AE prior to the chip? Were you seeing indications that your HPOP was on the way out before the chip?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
...plus the inevitable sticks and turbo!
AT LEAST two years away, if ever. The Bronco goes under the knife next year for a frame off. Gotta prioritize!

And the tunes on the F6 will give you gi-normous fun immediately!
Just what I need; one more reason to push the skinny pedal.

Get a 6.0 trans cooler before you tow heavy with it.
On the list. Currently the largest load that gets pulled is a Bronco on an 18' dovetail. No 5th wheels or anything crazy like that. Not for a few more years at least.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I would say do the HPOP first. F6 would be a more fun mod, but you do have the superchip at the moment. I have heard claims of increased mileage with the HPOP so that could be a plus. Also if you do the HPOP first then you can get the tunes adjusted for the hpop from the start instead of having to have them redone later.

Quick Reply: Next step?