Sponsored by: Moser

Dropping fuel tank question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM
zephyr78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping fuel tank question.

I need to drop my fuel tank, never done it before. Is it easier to try and take the bed off, or crawl under and take it off? Thanks

Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends on which tank you're talking about, but you shouldn't need to remove the bed. Regardless of the tank, you should drain it to reduce the weight (trust me, removing a full tank is NOT fun). Now is where the differences between the tanks is going to make a difference.

If it's the saddle tank, it's pretty easy as there are two straps that hold the tank, and I believe those nuts should be 9/16". Once you loosen the straps and the tank begins to drop, you'll need to separate the filler tube from the tank as you can't pull that away from the side of the bed. You'll also need to unplug the sending unit so you don't damage the wires, and you'll need to disconnect the vacuum tube for the evaporative system. You'll have to wrestle the tank down probably, but it's really pretty much that straight forward.

If it's the rear tank, it's kind of the same thing, but you need to remove the spare tire (if it's there), and you may have to loosen or remove the exhaust hangars in the rear of the truck so the tank can slip past them. It's pretty much the same process....you remove the straps supporting the tank (careful that it doesn't drop too fast), and then unplug the sending unit once you can reach it. Then again, disconnect the vacuum tube for the evaporative system, and separate the tank from the filler tube. Finally, you need to wrestle the tank out from the frame rails and the exhaust if it's in the way (which is why you may need to loosen it up first). That's about it.

Installation is pretty much the reverse of everything. Just remember to plug the sending unit in, connect the filler tube and vacuum tubes while you can still reach them. Putting the tank completely up before you do that will eventually backfire on you.

If you have an in-cab tank, I can't help you with that as easily as my truck doesn't have one of those.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
hermancm
Tuned
For the rear tank- don't do as I did. When I was taking the old tank out I didn't note how the fuel line was routed so when I was putting the new tank in I thought the hole in the cross member obviously MUST be for the fuel line... NOT! It pinched the line and I didn't notice it until the truck stalled shortly after i was done Installing the new tank. So... I thought, damn! I have to drop the whole tank again...? Well... No, luckily I just had to drop the front side of the straps, lower the tank a little and get the line off, over the frame cross member and back on again. And for myself, taking the fill hose and smaller vent hose off was much, much easier than putting them back on to the body mounted filler pipes! Use lube... And have fun with that!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
By the way, he's right about using a little lube on the filler tubes to be able to reinstall them. it makes the process a LOT easier than to try to force dry rubber hoses onto a metal pipe. There's a product called "Sil-Glyde" or "Syl-Glide" (I can never remember which) that is a lubricant that's not going to break the rubber down over time. I'd recommend you use something like that, or some other sort of lubricant that won't degrade the tubes. Granted, it'd take a long time for it to do any damage as those tubes are supposed to be resistant to gasoline, but why help them fall apart if you don't need to?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
zephyr78
New User
dropping fuel tank

Thanks guys. I failed to mention that it was the rear tank by the way.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
DirtMcgurt73
New User
It kinda depends on what's being done to the tank. If its in need of cleaning or repair then obviously you'll need to have it unmounted & free to do any necessary tasks. But if its for something like changing the sending unit I personally would unbolt the bed. Its not too hard, long as your bolts aren't rusted solid like mine were. There's only eight bolts, remove these. Remove the three screws holding the filler neck to the side of the truck, disconnect the wiring harness for the taillights & bam! Get a buddy to hep you lift, I raised my bed up enough to do the work, stuck a couple 4x4 chunks of wood between frame & bed and went to work.

I used to drop my tanks, but after doing a couple fuel pumps on different 90's rangers & now the sending unit on my 73 I don't think I will ever touch my tank from underneath again! In my opinion its way easier this way. Remember tanks are easy to drop, raising them back up is more difficult. If its full of gas forget it, fuel sloshes to one side or the other transferring weight all over the place. PITA. Raise the bed, wont take as long and you don't have to lie on your back!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
dropping the tank only requires you to unbolt the rear of the straps. You have very good access to the connections on the front of the tank. Pulling the bed is substantially more work. 6 carraige bolts that can only be accessed from under the truck vs 2 bolts you can unbolt kneeling under the bumper, and then the tank, which even half full only weights 20-30 lbs, vs a 450 lb bed. idk.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
DirtMcgurt73
New User
Well really either way will get the job done. I unbolted my bed & raised it by myself, no big deal. I'm just not a fan of disconnecting fuel tanks and moving them around
Seems like every time the gas finds its way to my face. But hey, everyone has their own style. Grab your toolbox, take a second to decide which way to tackle it, and get to work. Whichever way you do it its not that big a deal, just a preferrence issue.