Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1986 F250 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! Hope your RSK comes quicker then my buddies did. Took over a month for his to arrive. Hope they are fast for ya

Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
It is coming along nicely. Be sure to take some before and after shots of the truck. Its always cool to see the difference in the trucks stance.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Iv been painting everything with KBS satin black, the axle wil get painted too when its put back together forsure, gotta make it look pretty lol

I called ORU the other day, customer service is great, its just taking them a while to get it built I guess.

Right now Im gettting all my last minute stuff bought like Ubolts and plates, still need a track bar bracket though. And I forgot about my drag/crossover link, they look bent. I know they came bent from the factory but they just dont look right. Sooo if anyone has some D60 steering comonents theyd like to sell let me know

Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Time for an update, I ordered my RSK from ORU nov.11, recently I called them and asked for a status on my 485 dollar order they said it would ship mid january. I said screw that and cancelled the order. Before they could get my money back to me, I ordered and recieved a PMF 3.5 RSK. lesson learned, PMF is where its at.

On to the build, the RSK was the last thing I needed to start tearing my daily driver down. I have ubolts, plates, trac bar, trac bar bracket, steering components, leaf springs, rear spring hangers, D60 and the RSK. Today I started tearing the truck down. I got all of the 2WD stuff out and the rear spring hangers hung. It was all easier than I expected, hell I had fun. A good die grinder and a good set of drill bits is a big help getting all those damn rivets out. I decided against using the torch becauce of fire.

Monday Ill be going to a steel supply place in houston to buy some C5 channel and 8th in. diamond plate. The channel is how Im lengthening my frame for the SD springs, I will post pics of that when its done. The diamond plate is for the bumper Im going to build after the axle is hung. Theres an old ramsey winch out in my barn that might find its way in the mix lol

The fresh D60

The PMF RSK with sky rear hangers

Its not really 2WD anymore, but its not 4x4 either...gimme til friday

Old stuff

Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
looks good man!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Looks good man! Can't wait to see it done! I hope you got some before pics cus it will be cool to see the before and after.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Thanks, I took alot of before pics, illl post them up with the after pics when its done

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Iv been able to get 3 pretty much full days of work in on the truck. Heres where Im at, so far the build has gone supprisingly good. Almost seems too good with my luck lol

Mocking up the RSK that is SUPPOSED to fit a 92-97 frame. Notice the bottom of the bracket that cradles the frame is too far out away from the frame. This is why I had to lengthen the frame with the angle iron I bought, which also "boxed" the frame for strngth

The inside of the frame needed to be boxed to utilize the mounting bracket and holes given to bolt to the frame.

SO, I bought this piece of angle. I bought it for like 30 bucks, it was 8 feet long, half inch thick. I KNOW, half inch is wayyy overkill but its what I could find that would work. It is 3 inches wide which sat perfectly into the RSK, and 4 inches tall which gave me plently of room to drill holes and bolt to the existing frame and RSK.

This is what we did with the angle iron. Cut 2 18 inch lengths which cradles the frame all the way back until the frame makes a "turn". I wanted to do this for extra strength. Becauce, hell the weight of the truck will be riding on it, it needs to be strong. I also left room for bumper mounting brackets. I will be building a winch bumper for the front hehe

Here, you see the angle attached to the original frame, boxing it, and holding the RSK. In the pic there is 1 half inch bolt holding it. There are now 2 half inch bolts, 3 three quarter bolts, and it is welded along the frame, and stich welded in 2 spots on each side. I feel confident that it aint going anywhere

Dont make fun of my welds lol, I did a little more after the pic was taken.

Leaf springs hung. By far the worst part of the build has been the amount of holes iv had to drill. 6 on each side just to mount the rear shackle hanger

D60 rolled under and bolted up. I bought u-bolts and plates from sky a while back. they were titeled as 88.97 OBS u bolts and plates iirc. They ended up being more trouble than they are worth, so I had new "square" u bolts made and used the old plates that came with the D60 when I bought it. The ones from sky had no shock mounts on them and the original ones did, so that helped with the decision to use the old ones. 100 bucks wasted, so if anyone needs u bolts and plates lemme know. I need some cash back lol

Put my new calipers on upside down and on the wrong side, noticed it and changed it. Yeppp

Ill be running old 35s for now

35's in the front, pizza cutters in the back lol. I love it so far

Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Tires are on the truck so I can roll it back and forward to put the trac bar on.

I need longer brake lines, what have yall done? Any easy fixes

Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
solid work! i want to do thatto
My truck but the cab isnt mint and seems a waste.
Your looks great though!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Thanks, a 4x4 conv on our older frames requires alot of fab work. Doing it on a 92-97 frame would be cake, the RSK would just bolt up

Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
goose_ss4
Senior User
looks awsome man. i am going to be doing the same swap and kit soon on my 94 f-250. the only thing that is holding me up is my donor dana 60 came with 4.10 ring and pinion, and cant seem to find a set of 3.55 to match what i have on the truck in the rear right now.

good work and pics

Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
I dont knw what kind of lift and springs you want to use, but if your planning on doing SD springs. Contact trevor at PMF, awesome service and kit. I can tell you that a 4x4 conv with PMF's RSK on your 94 would be relativly easy. Not much harder than installing it on a truck that is already 4x4, id imagine. Try to find a whole rear 10.25 that is a 4.10, theyr really cheap in my area. Hell Id have one for you, buy the one I got is a 3.55. good luck on the build

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User

Nothing ever fits right lol but heres my latest. winch mount

As of tonite. bumper pretty much done, gotta put the winch in it and paint it. Other than that just waiting on my bilstein 5100's in the mail then ill post up some before and after pics FINALLY almost done

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
burton7.3
Junior User
Here did you get rsk from my truck four drive just want to run the sd axles

Quick Reply: 1986 F250 4x4 conversion