Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth registering as an Antique?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth registering as an Antique?

Just curious if anyone here has registered their truck as an antique?

It's not exactly a year I would consider "vintage", at least now. . .maybe in 10 years? But I have noticed fewer of them on the road. . .not even beat up work trucks older then the 92+ body style. Not even at the pick and pull. I wonder how many were cashed out as a clunker

Virginia law seems to be pretty well balanced as far as being able to drive it. No daily driving, but no inspection or registration (I contemplate this as my truck sits at a shop for an inspection, having just spent $75.50 on registration )

I'm comfortable with the driving restrictions since that's how I use it anyways. I'd like to know if there are any pro's/con's I might be missing?

1987 F250 BTW. Turned 25 in January. I've been trying to sell it, but buyers want me to give it away. . .I think I might keep it though. This year I'll decided, lol.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
norfolknova
Elder User
My 73 Nova is registered as Antique, but I pretty much only drive that on Saturday or Sunday. My 92 F250 is not eligible yet, however I don't think i would register it that way. I use this to tote thetruck camper. I also have an 07 Escape I use for my Daily driver.

you can get away with a little more on Va antique tags by still having it inspected. With inspection you can still use it daily. Police have been enforcing antique tag violations less and less over the last few years

matt

Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
That's about how I drive the Red Truck. When it's nice, on the weekends, trip to the store or something, or just to go to someones house to visit. I feel guilty beating up on a nice old truck

Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Then i would definately save the registration money in the future and spend the one time fee to register it. I am not sure if the truck will be more, but when i registered the Nova it was a one time $50 registration fee.

Do yo ever go up to Genro's on Independance an Saturdays for the cruise in?

Matt

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
In WI you can get collector or hobbiest plates after a vehicle is 20 years old I believe. 1 time registration for both. Collector plates means the vehicle has to be stock, hobbiest vehicles can be slightly modified-modified beyond identification. The only catch is that the vehicle can't be driven in january. Theres also a milage limit, not sure how much it is though, maybe 5k a year. I'm registering my F250 as a hobbiest truck next month.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
I live one state north of you, the current law allows any vehicle that is 20 model years old or older to be registered as a 'historic' vehicle. The law was just recently turned back to 25 years and nothing will be grandfathered in. My '90 F250 is currently registered w/ the historic plates. You are supposed to only drive the vehicle 3000 ( or maybe it's 5K) annually, it's not for daily drivers. You get an emissions exemption and the State safety inspection is waived, a big mistake in my eyes- any nicely restored vehicle would easily go through an inspection.

My truck isn't restored and, in my opinion, doesn't have any real historic value other than to see how the dinosaurs were once built, but since I only use the truck very occasionally it made financial sense to use the historic plate. When they expire next year I'll have to get the truck through an emissions and safety inspection and pay the higher 2 year registration fees so that it can sit in the driveway for 28 days out of the month before I use it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my Mustangs (1966conv't, 1967 fastback, 1967 conv't & 1970 conv't) all registered as classic here in CT. Regular reg fees still apply but you don't get hammered on property tax on them. If not registered as classics, the bill would run me close to 2500-3000 per year just in prop tax. Registered as classics, they run me around 110.00 for all 4.
Roger

Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
mejonz
Senior User
Heck I only pay 19 a year 31 for 2 or 65 for 5 on my truck here in az . My tribute is a different story I think it was 175 for one year

Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's older than 10 years I can get permanent plates and registration for 1 tons and smaller. I love Montana.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by firewood truck
My truck isn't restored and, in my opinion, doesn't have any real historic value other than to see how the dinosaurs were once built
I can't think of anything "historical" of value about a 67 mustang, or 56 F100 other than them being old

Icons of an age maybe? If that's the case, maybe our vintage of truck will be iconic of the age of hard work and taking care of business!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
I can't think of anything "historical" of value about a 67 mustang, or 56 F100 other than them being old

Icons of an age maybe? If that's the case, maybe our vintage of truck will be iconic of the age of hard work and taking care of business!
Seriously? The 'Stang is the original pony car, it's what started the 'small' muscle car wars that goes on to this day. ( Camero vs. Mustang) I can think of several iconic pickup trucks as well, such as the '53 5 window Chevy trucks, the late 55 early 56 ford trucks for the design of them. the original Dodge power wagons from the late 40's. I know that it's all in the eye of the owners if their truck has a historical value, I just don't see a 20 year old truck as fitting into that category, but many guys disagree with me and they enjoy restoring their trucks from the 87-92 era. To each their own.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
'72 redneck, send me a PM w/ some info on that K20 that you have for sale, those are my favorite trucks!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
serious_lee
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too bad to hear about the Historic plates going to 25 yrs. I just registered my 1990 F250 in December so I guess I just squeezed it in. Good thing I read this before I started ripping out any emmisions crap. Luckily I think it would pass the way it is set up right now.

I just looked up the form... still 20 yrs. Where did you hear that it changed? It's 25 yrs for Street Rod tags.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-096.pdf

Last edited by serious_lee; 07-07-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: found link to mva
Old 07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by firewood truck
Seriously?
Not really, hence the laughing smiley at the end of the line

I think I was just getting into the weeds about the semantics of "Antique", "Historical", "Historical Value", and "Iconic" as it pertains to ones perception of old vehicles

Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
To firewood truck...I've always felt the reason a state waives the inspection requirement on an antique vehicle is because they figure a guy (or doll) with an antique is going to maintain the vehicle to a higher level than someone with a 10-year-old rig.

As far as the driving restrictions go...I have an antique plate on my Kawasaki, and I try to drive the wheels off it during the riding season. I just keep my fingers crossed that a cop doesn't see me twice in one week! An antique plate on a motorcycle gets attention around here...

Pat

Quick Reply: Worth registering as an Antique?