Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E4OD Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Problem

Hello all. Im need need of a bit of help if at all possible.

First question..
Does anyone know what shift solonoids are enguaged in each gear. For example, first gear in a 4L60E uses both shift solonoids, 2nd uses the 2-3 while 3rd uses none and 4th uses just the 1-2 shift solonoid i THINK . I would like this info for all 4 gears in the E4OD and it needs to be accurate, no guessing please.

Heres the story. Back last august it started dumping trans fluid out the front pump seal and bushing was bad. So I pulled trans, replaced front bushing and seal and reinstalled. No leak but would not go past 2nd gear. So I put in another shift pack thinking that one was bad and still same issue. After that I pulled the trans and had it rebuilt and dyno tested at Bluminthauls in Oklahoma city. Get it back in and still not 3rd and 4th.

I Think it has to be electrical. I have checked the FIPL sensor, The TAC works fine, Speedometer works fine and netural safty switch works fine. (reverse lights come on in reverse and starts only in N or P like it should) I have tried several different settings on the FIPL from 1.4v to 1.0v at idle and 4.5 to 4.0 at WOT. NO CODES.

If I can get what solonoids are used in certian gears, I can program an Analog PLC Like an Allen Bradly do the shifting instead of the PCM/ECM. and make it shift like I want it to.

If anyone Has any Ideas as to what could be wrong let me know. I know the Ecm has to be working to some extent because It will not go in 1st gear without it plugged in, just second. I really don't feel like pulling this trans a 4th time. Im generally very patient but this sorry piece of crap is getting to me!!! Anyone want to swap for their standard trans????

Thanks
Rick

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No idea about your problems, but if its a good rebuild id swap ya!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hows the condition of the solenoid pack plug? have you tried another pcm yet?
relay and diode replaced already?
if yes to the above,then your left with a bad wiring harness id say.
you don't want to try to make your own controller,because there is much more to it that simply having the trans shift.you have a coast clutch and converter operation that must be handled properly via the pcm or aftermarket controller to handle all these things properly or you'll just end up destroying your trans.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm.... we get to play with Allen Bradley controllers next year
In theory, you could even program an Arduino to run the transmission, but would probably need an output buffer to bump the power high enough to run the solenoids. Its more trouble than its likely worth, but if you know PLCs, it would be a very cool project.

At any rate, here's the info you want:

1st gear S1 = on; S2 = off
2nd gear S1 = on; S2 = on
3rd gear S1 = off; S2 = on
4th gear S1 = off; S2 = off

Coast clutch is always on whenever using manual 1, or manual 2, or if overdrive cancel switch is activated.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks David85 for the solonoid info. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Good news is I called the company that rebuilt it and they will troubleshoot the truck free of charge on monday. They said it did shift through all the gears on their dyno and they would not have sent it out if it didn't work. So I hope they can find the problem. If they do, I will tell yall what they find.

FordF250HDXLT. I will check the things that you posted and will check them before i take it to the rebuilder. I guess I really haven't done much troubleshooting the trans issue besides assuming that the trans is bad and have not messed with it since I put the fresh build in last weekend. Also, I am aware of the complications of programing a plc to operate it but hey, I might learn something from it and I also have the software to do it, I just need an analog plc, Mine just has digital inputs and outputs.

hairyboxnoogle....Ya its a good rebuild done by the largest and best shop in the state so come on over and will start the swap for your manual trans... And Ill even buy the Beer!!!

Thanks for the input guys.