Factory stereo convertion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:14 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 94 F250XLT with factory AM/FM Cassette stereo(P/N=F4TF-19-B132-AC), that previously I mentioned had a bad tape player. For simplicity and cost, I bought a brand new AM/FM Cassette Stereo(P/N=F7ZF-19B132-BA) from a 97 Mustang.

The radios are almost identical but the connectors on the back are different. On my standard factory radio there are two large(2 inch) 8pin single row connectors. On the new stereo there is one 8 pin single row connector(I assume Power etc), but where the speaker connector is, there is a small(3/4 inch square) double row 8 pin connector. I have done a bit of research on the web and I think the new stereo is a factory premium stereo. From more reading I think my standard system does not use an external amp, but the premium system does.

I have also seen on the web a small adapter cable that is called a Amplifier eliminator plug. As near as I can figure, it looks like it is an adapter from the small plug to the large plug.

So the questions I have are...

1) Is the premium system capable of driving the facotry speakers if I adapt the connections so that the small plug fits to the big one? And is this safe for the system?

2) Does my standard stereo have an external amp, and if so where is it located? And if so will it work with the premium?

3) Is there a better way than the little adapter plugs as shown on EBAY Item # 3022092114 ?

I am a decent electrician and can do a good amount of wiring etc, but I am by no means knowledgable about factory stereo systems.

Thanks,

Jim Henderson

Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster

1)i do not think the premium system has an internal amp so it needs the external to drive the speakers
2)standard stereo DOES NOT have an external amp
3)when i ordered my CD players it asked if i had the premium sound and if so i need an adaptor cable, so i assume no.

i wish cobraXP was here, he knows more about premium systems and such than me.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:06 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster

Thanks for the info.

As I study this more, I am more and more convinved that I will have to bite the bullet and buy the amp and harness or make up my own. I am looking at an amp today and hope the guy also has the harness.

On the premium radio and the AMP, there appear to be maybe 4 conncetors. 1 big one for power, 1 8 pin small double row, 1 6(?) pin double and a small 2 pin.

On the radio, I know the small 8 pin is the audio out. I assume on the amp the 8 pin is the audio in. What I am wondering is, what is the amplified audio out from the amp? Also what are the pin out/signal names of the 6 and 2 pin?

I can probably trace teh circuit out but it would be much easier if someone knows this.

Thanks,

Jim Henderson

Old 05-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Jigsaw
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opposite problem - I bought a radio and I bought an amp that I don't need with this radio. Contact me if you still need the amp

Or we could swap radios ???

Last edited by Jigsaw; 05-09-2003 at 08:59 PM.