1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
I look at it as a snapshot of the engineering back in the day, however, they do have cookies on the dark side......

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by cruisetopdown
I look at it as a snapshot of the engineering back in the day, however, they do have cookies on the dark side......
Indeed they do.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It all depends on what you want. If you want a daily driver then I am with Vern and Ax - modernize it. There are no rules that you have to follow other than your own and to keep it safe to drive. There is nothing wrong with having better brakes, more power, better handling, and being comfortable. If you want it to be completely original and don't plan on trying to keep up with traffic then restore it. You can have even a trailer queen if it makes you happy. Personally, I like to drive it.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/payments.php
Go here for upgrade membership.

BTW, if the truck is in FL there is an active group that meets in Englewood. They're most active in the winter months but still meet year round. PM me if you want a contact. Or perhaps you know about it.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a tutorial on posting pictures. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-pictures.html You can also upload them to photobucket and post the link.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like em stock (in someone elses garage)
but they are too precious to cut-up
sell it to someone who appricates it and
buy a beater then.... tear into it

Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keith56_cruz_cab
I like em stock (in someone elses garage)
but they are too precious to cut-up
sell it to someone who appricates it and
buy a beater then.... tear into it
I don't consider a restomod as "cutting one up"...there's a big difference!

Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
I also cant relate to the term "cutting one up" It makes it sound like we (darksiders) commit some sort of horrible, unspeakable sins to these old girls.
Oftentimes if we (darksiders) didnt take up the challenge these old vehicles would likely never see the road again.
I have no axe to grind if someone wants to leave there vehicle (truck) totally stock and original, but often find those same individuals do have an axe to grind, about "cutting one up".
And believe me i have also seen my share of so called restorations, that seem to have been done with a couple spray bombs and a big f....g hammer that leave me shaking my head in disbelief at the butchery.
Its your truck, do with it whatever moves you.

Just my little rant, but i really dislike "cutting one up"
Hope i didnt offend anyone.......John

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
bk53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with the '53. I'm coming to the realization that like the maiden spinster up the road, some things are better left alone.
With the truck though I do enjoy thinking about what I could get away with. The truck has got better lines than the aforementioned neighbor lady.
Bill

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Originally Posted by lexcoe
I also cant relate to the term "cutting one up" It makes it sound like we (darksiders) commit some sort of horrible, unspeakable sins to these old girls.
Oftentimes if we (darksiders) didnt take up the challenge these old vehicles would likely never see the road again.
I have no axe to grind if someone wants to leave there vehicle (truck) totally stock and original, but often find those same individuals do have an axe to grind, about "cutting one up".
And believe me i have also seen my share of so called restorations, that seem to have been done with a couple spray bombs and a big f....g hammer that leave me shaking my head in disbelief at the butchery.
Its your truck, do with it whatever moves you.

Just my little rant, but i really dislike "cutting one up"
Hope i didnt offend anyone.......John
Perhaps "cutting one up" was a poor choice of terms on his part. The original poster asked if he should "modify" it and mentioned the term "resto-mod." Personally, I use the term "customise."

At any rate, I wholeheartedly agree with "didnt take up the challenge these old vehicles would likely never see the road again." There are many vehicles sitting in fields, barns, and backyards without motors and parts that would be hard to find and replace. These vehicles are perfect candidates for either customising or, if one is a masochist, restoring to stock. And I take my hat off to anyone who takes up such a challenge and puts it back on the road.

I'll admit too that some stockers are a bit like some vegetarians and look down their noses at those who don't live their lives exactly the way they do. Whether they realise it or not, they are human and not perfect. I'm not going to apologise for them on their behalf, I'll just hope they eventually mature.

And I agree that one can do whatever one chooses to do with their truck. Although that doesn't mean I won't form some sort of opinion of it or him. Case in point, suppose you went to a show and some fellow had put a "Ford sucks, wish I had a Chevy" sticker in the back window. Yes it's his truck, and yes he can do as he pleases, but the guy is a jackhole that should have bought a Chevy or figure out what sort of personality disorder he has that he wants to antagonise people.

Personally, I applaud guys like you who take neglected vehicles and bring them back to life. However it saddens me when someone takes a pristine vehicle and (modifies, customises, 'cuts one up'--insert palatable term). Frankly, I wish I had his truck if it is indeed as he describes it. In fact I would have gladly traded my truck (which was an excellent candidate for customising as it was already half way there) for his except for the fact mine has something no other truck in the world has. Okay, that is a bit extreme, I suppose it is possible could be some other over 50 fellows who have a one owner truck that is the first vehicle they ever rode in, but I would guess it is a rather small club!

Anyway, the original question was whether he should leave a pristine, unmolested truck as is or to "modify" it. We've all weighed in with our opinions and he has stated he intends to leave it as is. And although I would have respected any decision he made, I'm happy that a truck with all it's original parts in all it's glory will remain the same.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
pagoda69
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, finally posted photos to photo bucket, here's the link:Pictures by Pagoda69 - Photobucket

Would love to hear your thoughts now that pictures are available. And to 53 Tonner, hard to believe, but yes, I bought it sight-unseen. A lot of people cringe when I tell them that I buy almost all of my classic cars that way. Lots of detailed photos, lots of information and fact checking, lots of trust, and most of all, lots of luck! I've been doing this for over 30 years, about 60 vehicles, got burned only once. Like I said, lots of luck!

Thanks,
John

Old 06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
That is one great looking truck. Thanks for sharing.

DW

Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's not a garage find, that truck has had a full resto done on it. There is not 55years worth or wear or dirt on it anywhere. I still wouldn't hesitate to update the mechanicals on it to make it a driver unless I had the money and storage room to keep it and bring it out just for parades and lawn ornament shows. How good a deal did you get on it? Could you sell it for a profit?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM
pagoda69
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello AXracer,

It looks like a full restoration, but it's not. The engine compartment is the only area that was "restored". The truck was re-painted and the wood bed replaced 15 years ago. The previous owner detailed the engine compartment recently. It was very well done. The rest of the truck is untouched and it has never been apart. Door glass is original. Windshield has been replaced. The interior is original. The gas, brake and clutch pedals are original and show consistent wear of a 30,000 mile vehicle. Looking at the truck closely, in person, the paint is fair, at best. Paint always looks better in photos.

I bought it at a fair price. I think it was a good deal. New brakes, tires, hub caps/trim rings, gaskets, clutch, tune-up, added seat belts. All recently completed by the previous owner. He bought it from the original owner who told him that the re-paint 15 years ago was the only repaint this truck ever had. The truck is as straight as an arrow and runs extremely well. Very strong and appears to never have had any body damage or rust. When it became available, I bought it the first day it was advertised. Timing is everything I guess. A lucky find.
John

Last edited by pagoda69; 06-23-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep as is.

Quick Reply: What would you do?