1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leave it stock and enjoy it !!!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
If it's that nice? Leave it original! I would love to have one all original as you describe it!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Nuthin
Elder User
I'm another voice for the keep-it-stock bloc.

The rarity alone makes a truck like that stand out. I've had SO many people come up to me (mine is stock) to say "It's nice to see one of those old boys survived intact." I've also seen people looking at the truck with a deadpan expression until I get in and fire him up and then I see a face-wide grin and usually get a thumbs-up. There's isn't anything else that sounds like one of those 223s turning over.

By all means, keep it stock.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
my 54 is stock ..crusty rusty ..ugly ..but working ..you have something very unique very special ..enjoy ..have fun the guy's here are right on so many levels .. congratulations ..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I realize I'm swimming upstream here, but to me restomod means improvement and improvement means better brakes, more engine power, better steering, and better handling. I'm sure if Henry Ford had access to the modern parts we use in a restomod he would have used them.

Doc, hide your lawnmower. Here's mine:

Hell yeah, it's got a Hemi !

Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah... Keep it stock & find a beater to restomod. I'm sure that we can find one for you!!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm with Vern, stock 56 F100's are not particularly rare, IMHO you don't see a lot of them at shows because they aren't very popular with the majority of enthusiasts, so they only appeal to a small segment. Check the price of a stock 56 compared to a modified one at a major auction, the stock one won't bring 1/3 the price. I went to a major classic car (restored) show a couple weeks ago, although there were some very rare vehicles being shown, the crowd was mostly the other exhibitors checking out each other's cars to see if they had the right decals under the hood, the bolts with the manufacturer's logo on them holding the suspension together, or if a small piece was nickle or chrome plated as the factory originally did it. It got real old after looking at the 10th or 12th almost identical 49-52 Hudson Sedan (even tho I have a soft spot, since my earliest memories was of our family owned 49 Hudson Sedan). It was like walking through a time warped dealer's sales lot and about as boring if you aren't buying. There is no imagination or skill required to do/own a 100 point restoration, just deep enough pockets.
An unmolested rust free stocker is the best starting point for a restomod type truck, no major body work to be done, no previous owner's mods to undo, so you can concentrate your effort and money into making the mods YOU want. That will save you as much as years of time before your truck will be back on the road.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One more to the stock votes. Consider this, is there really a need to change anything (i.e. broken, worn, not working)? I think this is one of the situations where the saying if it's not broken, don't fix it applies.

As mentioned a couple of times before, a lot of us start with near scrap piles that will be much better being modified than with their headed for truck heaven current condition.

Your truck, your call. I don't think any of us would be able to give you any pain for choosing what to do with your truck anyway.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
gsato55
Senior User
I agree with most to keep it original.

Glenn
56 F100

Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given the traffic conditions and distances we drive these days i am with AX and Vern, and and as AX pointed out starting with a nice clean unmolested example sure makes life easier. And as someone once said, dont know who...
Anyone can restore an antique, it takes a real man to cut one up. John

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Another vote for stock. Mine started out that way but I never had the original motor. As I got older and wanted a few more "modern conveniences", one thing led to another and another and...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
BAB, And obviously you are much happier with it modded...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Ax, Vern, and Lecoe

Each of you are absolutely right and not at all correct at the same time. Certainly, traffic and technology have changed since these beauties were new. Speeds have risen, population is higher, roadway design is different, and on and on. Undeniably, these trucks are better if we do any number of things to them - tires, brakes, suspension, electrical, gearing, and on and on.

But yet - but yet

Every one of these trucks that can be rescued deserves to be. Sadly, we all know that every one cannot and are donors, scrapped, or simply left to rust back into the earth. For all kinds of reasons, for those worth the effort, some get the resto mod or even the darkside treatment - and often are far better for having been changed. Lots of them are pretty cool looking to boot.

There are some that are special - they had owners that didn't use them the same ways other owners may have needed. Then they found new homes with any of us who have a special feeling for some of this old stuff - be it a Ford truck, a Harley bike, a Cris-Craft speed boat, an ancient violin, or what have you.

And some of those survivors get to stay the way they were for a little longer. Not as safe, not as comfortable, not as reliable, or not as better as they might be - but just the way they are. Is it smarter? Who knows. Is it the right thing to do? In some cases, perhaps. Can it be taken too far? Absolutely.

But for every over-restored, unused, over-sheltered, or unattainable level of automotive perfection that might exist, I want to believe that there are many more regular guys and gals in a garage somewhere that are either working on their dream or just reveling in some level of attainment of that same dream. The dream that this truck might bring them the exact feeling that their Dad, Father, Pop-pop, Gramps, Mom, Momma, Grammy, Nana, or other special person may have experienced.

Does this somehow mean more that the dreams of the restomoder, or darksider? Hell no. They are just different dreams is all.

I'm glad that we - all of us darksiders, restromoders, stockers and everything in between - have dreams about these very noble, financially dubious, proudly obsolete pieces of the past. Hurrah!

DW

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey John,
You are out on Cape Code (Chatham is beautiful by the way) - if your vision is just knocking around the Cape you'll never need to get over 50mph. If you want to drive it into Boston on a real highway you'll probably want a few improvements:
o Seat Belts
o Turn signals
o A second windshield wiper for the passenger side & switch to electric so
they will work if you go uphill.
o A newer rear axle to get better gearing so you can go more than 50mph.
o Front Disc Brakes so you can stop at highway speeds.
o A dual chamber Master Cylinder so you don't lose both front & rear
brakes at once in case of a major leak.

Good luck over there Doc - Your truck will look great in the parades!
My vote would be to keep it "Looking Stock" but add a few conveniences to make it more safe & useable - especially if any of your kids or grandkids would possibly be driving or borrowing it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
pagoda69
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the input. It will remain stock. As a classic car hobbyist, this is my first Ford truck. I have been very impressed with the quality of this truck. I owned a 1956 Corvette and this 56 F-100 rides about the same, but seems better built! Here's what I've found: Original: 4 argent painted, red-lettered hubcaps, 5 wheels, all exterior emblems, complete interior; (headliner, seats, gauges, glovebox/liner, rear view mirror, dash *****/bezels), date coded sheet metal everywhere, gas, brake, clutch pedals, all FoMoCo window/vent glass, engine, transmission, bumpers, rear FoMoCo license bracket. Seat belts have been added. It was painted its original color, Code G Meadow Mist Green 15 years ago. The wood bed was replaced then too. From ten feet it looks like a new truck. Close up, paint is fair to good. 30,200 documented miles through previous titles. The truck was not used much during previous ownership.
I have been trying to upgrade my membership to post photos. Can anyone help me with regards to upgrading and posting? I'd like to share photos and get thoughts on what's right and wrong with the truck, since I am now going maintain and restore its originality.
John
Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: What would you do?