6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

sct tuner with stock head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006 f250 6.0
My 06 6.0 is stock except for a bully dog power pup i run it on tow/performance however the previous owner run it on extreme not towing and performance when towing since 40000 miles and it seems to be doing fine for now and its at 136,000 miles
ahhh Bully Dog -- have a buddy with a Cummins that runs one. They don't tend to be friendly with our transmissions, but hey, it's only 3-5K to fix a Torqshift...

Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, another resurrected thread.

Update: I eventually cracked a head on mine. Head gaskets were seeping a little coolant into combustion chambers too. I now have ARP Studs.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 2006 f250 6.0
My 06 6.0 is stock except for a bully dog power pup i run it on tow/performance however the previous owner run it on extreme not towing and performance when towing since 40000 miles and it seems to be doing fine for now and its at 136,000 miles

Speaking as a former Triple Dog owner, I wouldn't go that route again. But that's just me.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I plan on putting a Gearhead Performance SCT tuner to my truck when i get a chance, and my truck has stock bolts, but i really dont plan on using more then the 8k tow tune.

Between my buddy, his brother, and his dad, they have owned 7 6.0 powerstrokes. he is the one who convinced me to buy a powerstroke truck and it has run great stock. The only truck that ever gave them any trouble had a banks kit in it, the other 6 had only minor issues.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I would NOT run a tuner without the studs in the 6.0. But, just MY opinion.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
That's pretty much not relevant to bolt life, it just depends on the truck. Some people run tunes, hot tunes and whatever on stock bolts with 200k on them and the truck doesn't skip a beat.

On the other hand, trucks that have strict maintenance still end up blowing bolts at 10,20,30-50k at stock power levels.

If you're going to tune on stock bolts, use SCT, invest some time in contacting companies about non-studded tunes.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
That's pretty much not relevant to bolt life, it just depends on the truck. Some people run tunes, hot tunes and whatever on stock bolts with 200k on them and the truck doesn't skip a beat.
To a point yes, but it mainly depends on how a driver handles that new found power. They better that they are with the demands that they place on that truck, the better their chances are not having issues.

From those that have heavy left foots, to those that let their trucks idle (that still have the EGR working (which I did even after all my mods and never had an issue with it)) for long periods of time. Adding more heat, fuel (and unburned sticky fuel at that) doesn't look good for the longevity of the truck.

On the other hand, trucks that have strict maintenance still end up blowing bolts at 10,20,30-50k at stock power levels.

Just because ou take it in for it's regular severe service maintenance doesn't mean that you aren't rough on it when driving it (either loaded or unloaded).

Unless you are getting a tune that detunes (considering your argument is that this can happen regardless of tuning or not, the best option is to detune the truck), you are adding even more heat, more stress to the truck, how does that not hurt longevity of the vehicle?

I should mention that this is coming from someone that had the following (not compressive, just the stress adders):

Spartan Tuning
Stage I injectors
64mm non-vgt turbo

I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think that this was coming from a stock only type of person.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
To a point yes, but it mainly depends on how a driver handles that new found power. They better that they are with the demands that they place on that truck, the better their chances are not having issues.

From those that have heavy left foots, to those that let their trucks idle (that still have the EGR working (which I did even after all my mods and never had an issue with it)) for long periods of time. Adding more heat, fuel (and unburned sticky fuel at that) doesn't look good for the longevity of the truck.

Just because ou take it in for it's regular severe service maintenance doesn't mean that you aren't rough on it when driving it (either loaded or unloaded).

Unless you are getting a tune that detunes (considering your argument is that this can happen regardless of tuning or not, the best option is to detune the truck), you are adding even more heat, more stress to the truck, how does that not hurt longevity of the vehicle?

I should mention that this is coming from someone that had the following (not compressive, just the stress adders):

Spartan Tuning
Stage I injectors
64mm non-vgt turbo

I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think that this was coming from a stock only type of person.
Yes rough drivers are a factor that didn't even cross my mind, and makes sense of course. But how many people on here tell others to "Drive it like they stole it"? to help with cleaning the engine/turbo of soot and keep everything free moving.

Too rough in my opinion, is just skipping warm-ups. When the engine's hot, step on it freely with no issues.

Personally, i don't leave my drive way until the glowplug drain is gone, by then ect/eot is usually 80-90 dF.

I don't know what companies do between studded and non-studded tunes to keep it safe, but they're doing a good job at it. As long as they're used for what is stated right?

People who strap a performance street tune on and then tow 10k# are just asking for trouble, even studded drivers switch to tow tunes for a reason.

I guess it all comes down to sensibility like you said

Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Yes rough drivers are a factor that didn't even cross my mind, and makes sense of course. But how many people on here tell others to "Drive it like they stole it"? to help with cleaning the engine/turbo of soot and keep everything free moving.

I do as well, but only after the truck has gotten up to operating temp. I think that's the biggest difference as to what people do. Especially in the winter time when it might take 20 minutes of drive time (around here) to get it up to operating temp in the first place. For some, that's the entire drive.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD

If you're going to tune on stock bolts, use SCT, invest some time in contacting companies about non-studded tunes.
My opinion remains the same. Any red-blooded American male will go for the gold!