Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Thanks for all the info.

Tried another monitor, did nothing.

Beeps: 3 short, 4 short, then single. I could not find anything positive online as to what they mean. I asked the tech guy if he could find out. After a few seconds of typing on his store computer, he rotates the screen and showed me all the same info on a google search that I found. Seriously? Google?

Nearest info I could find (not sure if it applied to my specific computer) said bad RAM connection or something, and bad video card/board. I tried pulling and swapping ram, did nothing.
He said video card is soldered to motherboard so if that's bad then the mother board needs replaced, same as if any other chip/board/item is bad.

Email sent.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
I asked about just getting another computer, and the Guy at the computer repair place said that the new comp must have all the exact same chips etc or the drive swap would not work. He said the chances of getting a computer with the exact same motherboard is slim to none.
It's not so much the files on the drive, it's the programs and he said the exact same motherboard is critical to run the programs. The files can be retrieved, but the programs are gone.
Untrue and Untrue.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
only thing that I can see as a complication is that if you put that hard drive into another computer and start it up,
This used to be common practice long ago.
You'd just swap the hard drive into the new computer and just install new drivers.
Whoever says you cannot do this is an idiot, the computer will boot. It will give you a lot of issues, but it will boot. Things were a bit simpler back then and it was a bit easier to do if you needed to save files or couldn't get some files again.
Things were not as easy when we just had floppies and a few CD's.

Originally Posted by bad12jr
More then likely another laptop same OS as your current would be about the same price. If the hp is a vista machine you need another vista machine but they can be had for couple hundred bucks on ebay.

And sticking it another computer and trying to boot will more then likely will not work as the hardware is different. Different drivers and may not boot.
The COA is bound to the case of the laptop, not the hardware, so he can install Vista back on if he wanted too as long as he has the shell.

As for the other comment, see above.

Nearest info I could find (not sure if it applied to my specific computer) said bad RAM connection or something, and bad video card/board. I tried pulling and swapping ram, did nothing.
He said video card is soldered to motherboard so if that's bad then the mother board needs replaced, same as if any other chip/board/item is bad.
When I buy laptops or help others pick out laptops, I always suggest going with one that has a modular style video card in case this happens. It still is not common-place for the video card to be modular.

Originally Posted by deadsenator
Jim,

I would say that is your best (and cheapest) bet to getting a working system again is to replace the mobo.

HP 8530w motherboard | eBay

The one at the top for $95 would be my pick. Seller rating and some sort of guarantee that it will work are two strong factors. This guy looks okay.

The other thing I would say is that some models of laptops use different motherboards. Same model number, but the motherboard might be made by a different vendor or its a different revision. I always try and match as close as I can. If I can up the revision, I do that. This is mostly important if it has a particular type of video card. Don't think you have to worry about that with this one.
I cannot find any information to support or un-support that the model W and model P boards are different or the same.
From my experience they are different, but its hard to tell.

In cases like this before, I'd just order both and compare then re-sell the other on ebay for the same price.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
If the video card is bad then that would certainly explain why the external monitor won't work either. And I would tend to agree with him that the mother board will need to be replaced. I just don't agree that you can't get the HDD to work in another machine that is identical. I would eBay myself a new motherboard and then swap it in there. Either that, or buy a new (different) laptop and then recover all that data to the new machine.
Yeah, during post an external monitor will work right away.

The beeping indicates there are other hickups though.

It's kinda funny that we are so advanced on computers, but the bio's is still 20+ years old. haha.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm talking program wise. As you know programs will only boot on certain os versions. I left a word out too. A motherboard would cost about the same as another used machine would cost that works to do what's needed done. To save the programs just run it as a separate external drive with all the files from the original machine. Then everything is there that is need to run the programs such as ae. I have a few old games I boot off an old hard drive that will run on vista but not install in it because they are from XP. And this machine couldn't attempt to do a virtual machine.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Some programs.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong but it's my understanding that you can only access files from an external, remote drive and you cannot actually launch the application/programs on that drive.

...And with help from ya'll I am seriously looking at getting a good used machine to try.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Please correct me if I am wrong but it's my understanding that you can only access files from an external, remote drive and you cannot actually launch the application/programs on that drive.
Consider yourself corrected.
I do it all the time.

There are a few exceptions with it though.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts

...And with help from ya'll I am seriously looking at getting a good used machine to try.
It depends on how the bios on the computer is set up...but a HDD is a HDD.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
As long as all the needed files are available it will load a program.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
As long as all the needed files are available it will load a program.
Don't forget registry entries.

Y'all are just a bunch of nerds in diesel clothing!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Oh right, the registry stuff, I kind of remember that now.

Thanks!

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
That's the big thing with leaving all the files on the drive.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
That's the big thing with leaving all the files on the drive.
If you put the drive in an enclosure and plug it into another computer, the host O/S will not have any of the registry entries that a program may have installed originally. The registry is specific to each running (Windows) O/S.

The registry entries may have licensing info or simple environment variables. There are ways of extracting this info, but think of the registry as a poor-man's database. There are many hooks and entries that would have to be included. It's a mess.

If the program depends on this registry info, it's a crapshoot on whether it will run or not. If it's a basic old-style program, then it should work. If it's a newer style program, then it likely won't. The odds are pretty wild here.

It is pretty harmless to try this method, though.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by deadsenator
If you put the drive in an enclosure and plug it into another computer, the host O/S will not have any of the registry entries that a program may have installed originally. The registry is specific to each running (Windows) O/S.

The registry entries may have licensing info or simple environment variables. There are ways of extracting this info, but think of the registry as a poor-man's database. There are many hooks and entries that would have to be included. It's a mess.

If the program depends on this registry info, it's a crapshoot on whether it will run or not. If it's a basic old-style program, then it should work. If it's a newer style program, then it likely won't. The odds are pretty wild here.

It is pretty harmless to try this method, though.
You can always move the registry files to the new registry.

And most programs will write new registry entries when they are missing.
Unless it has to do with locking the program to the computer.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
May I suggest a few simple things to try before you go to the effort of buying new parts/machine:
  1. Remove the memory one stick a time, it may make a difference. If the computer boots, you're holding the problem.
  2. Remove all hardward you can (CD drives, sound cards, hard drives, everything) and attempt to boot. If successful, replace one at a time until boot failure occurs. You've found the problem. Despite what the tech told you, most laptop components are NOT integrated into the motherboard. Usually just video, sometimes sound, and network card. Only video will cause boot failure. Memory, drives, CPU, and wireless network are usually installed separately.
  3. As a last resort with computer completely turn apart, attempt to boot w/o memory or CPU. Beep code should change. If it does change, the problem is likely the video card (which is probably integrated into the mother board). If it doesn't change, you probably do have a dead motherboard.
  4. I also would suggest checking the power output of the AC/DC convertor. If that is running low DC voltage, the CPU/memory will not function correctly and throw a beep code.

What I suggest is simply getting a new computer. Getting used components may or may not solve the problem. Sometimes it creates even more. The software you own the license to. It doesn't matter what computer it happens to be installed on. I always recommend that people simply contact the vendors of the software they are worried about and explain the situation. Provided the companies are still in business, the licenses can almost always be recovered. Computers crash and companies are used to dealing with it.

Good luck with it. BTW, if you need help, let me know. I don't think I'm too close to you, but I've been dealing with computers for a long time (worked as a techie for a couple years). I could probably walk you through some stuff over the phone/IM if you think it would help.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Some great stuff there Nick and I agree with nearly all of it. A point I'd make is that for laptops, it's almost always the mainboard. Otherwise it's the videocard. The reason is that they are usually cooked by heat. First of all, they use terrible thermal paste (or heat-tape - ug) and most laptops use a common heatsink for both the CPU and video chips. This leads to a warmer environment in the first place and people rarely ever clean the fan or heatsink assemblies. I've found full cats inside of laptops.

I also appreciate your troubleshooting steps. Good stuff to try, but my money is still on the board. It's just too common.

The other random point I would make is that consumer level HP products are pretty crappy. The enterprise level stuff is great, but they don't know how to build solid consumer level systems.

Still a techie and always a techie here!

Quick Reply: OT: Computer geeks, I need your help.