Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant question on V10.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making it complicated - just drain out of the radiator until it's clear. No need to remove anything else unless you want to replace the thermostat and/or the gasket. The green anti-freeze is still made but like all coolants it now contains a bitter-ant to try and deter drinking by animals. Even disconnecting the hoses are really optional - I did them to ensure I could do 40/60 mix of coolant/water.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by perryg114
Well someone has put the gold stuff in it. So I can either just dump and fill with the gold or go with the green and do a total flush. One has to wonder if the gold color is degraded green stuff with a little rust or is it good as gold? Since I bought it used, I don't know what color it was when it was last changed.

Perry
Read my post above

Old 06-11-2012, 04:56 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tdappleman
Making it complicated - just drain out of the radiator until it's clear. No need to remove anything else unless you want to replace the thermostat and/or the gasket. The green anti-freeze is still made but like all coolants it now contains a bitter-ant to try and deter drinking by animals. Even disconnecting the hoses are really optional - I did them to ensure I could do 40/60 mix of coolant/water.
I agree they are getting too deep into it. What I always do is; Just open the petcock on the rad, drain the water, turn on the heater to run it through the heater rad, drain the primary container, run a hose in the rad for about 15 minutes with engine running, let drain, close valve and add coolant to what I think will be about 50/50, fill to top with water. (my sequence might need adjustment). We have some of the best water in the world here at Mt. Shasta but I'm thinking the anti-corrosion properties in the gold might remedy harsh waters elseware.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy
The V10 is supposed to take the Gold, I know that for sure. Not sure about the capacity. I'm wanting to do a flush in mine also.<br />
<br />
Let me know how much it takes.
<br />
<br />
Really? The manual for my 2001 says "use Ford Premium Engine Coolant (green in color). DO NOT USE Ford Extended Life Engine Coolant (orange in color)." It doesn't mention yellow at all.

It says the V10 needs 27.0L (28.5 quarts).

Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewWV

Really? The manual for my 2001 says "use Ford Premium Engine Coolant (green in color). DO NOT USE Ford Extended Life Engine Coolant (orange in color)." It doesn't mention yellow at all.

Same here on my 2000. His information is incorrect for earlier models.
The green stuff works fine, you just need to replace it sooner. I'm fine with that.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Because the Ford "gold" (which looks yellow) wasn't put into use by Ford until 2002 model year, so your 2001 manual wouldn't address it.

The "orange" your manual refers to is the coolant Ford used in the '99 - '02 Cougars.

The "orange" is not the same as the Ford "gold" (Zerex G-05) coolant.

Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Same here on my 2000. His information is incorrect for earlier models.
Don't be so quick to dismiss the use. A lot of people used to argue the OAT Extended Life Coolant (red in color) shouldn't be used for the late 1999 model year (MY) and up 7.3L PSD engine, but they were wrong.

On another forum, there was a moderator who always argued with Gooch (a coolant expert) about the use of ELC in the late '99 - '01 year diesels, even though International (who made the engines for Ford) changed some things on the engine to make use of ELC compatible, then recommended OAT ELC for the engines.

Early '99 7.3's should still use the conventional "green" coolant, but from MY late '99 and up, ELC is the best coolant that can be used, even though the manual recommends a conventional "green" coolant.

I'm not advocating the use of the Zerex G-05/Ford "gold" coolant in the early gasser engines since I haven't studied the proper coolant use for those engines like I have the 7.3L diesels, I'm just saying don't be quick to dismiss the idea until you've done your homework.

Stewart

EDIT: A quick search and some research indicates Ford DOES advocate the use of the Ford "gold"/Zerex G-05 coolant with Excursions that came from the factory with the conventional "green" coolant. So ComputerCowboy was NOT incorrect with his posted info.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 06-18-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: To add info
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Because the Ford "gold" (which looks yellow) wasn't put into use by Ford until 2002 model year, so your 2001 manual wouldn't address it.

The "orange" your manual refers to is the coolant Ford used in the '99 - '02 Cougars.

EDIT: A quick search and some research indicates Ford DOES advocate the use of the Ford "gold"/Zerex G-05 coolant with Excursions that came from the factory with the conventional "green" coolant. So ComputerCowboy was NOT incorrect with his posted info.
Thanks for the clarification. I bought some Zerex for a Grand Caravan I used to own, and had heard that it was being used by both Dodge and Ford, but wasn't sure since this manual didn't address it. Regarding the Gold (yellow), even the fordparts.com site says this (emphasis mine):
Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specifications WSS-M97B44-D or –D2, or with the fluorescent green-colored Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specification ESE-M97B44-A (refer to the Motorcraft® usage chart for exceptions), or with the dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B55-A
I did finally find this document that seems to support what you've said:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ref/scucEN.pdf

Currently the tank is green and I have no idea how long it's been in there, so now I need to decide whether I want to keep the green stuff or switch to yellow.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Not to split hairs, but that document doesn't seem to support my post, it specifically supports the info I found last night on the 'net...while half asleep, LOL!

Stewart

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru

Don't be so quick to dismiss the use. A lot of people used to argue the OAT Extended Life Coolant (red in color) shouldn't be used for the late 1999 model year (MY) and up 7.3L PSD engine, but they were wrong.

On another forum, there was a moderator who always argued with Gooch (a coolant expert) about the use of ELC in the late '99 - '01 year diesels, even though International (who made the engines for Ford) changed some things on the engine to make use of ELC compatible, then recommended OAT ELC for the engines.

Early '99 7.3's should still use the conventional "green" coolant, but from MY late '99 and up, ELC is the best coolant that can be used, even though the manual recommends a conventional "green" coolant.

I'm not advocating the use of the Zerex G-05/Ford "gold" coolant in the early gasser engines since I haven't studied the proper coolant use for those engines like I have the 7.3L diesels, I'm just saying don't be quick to dismiss the idea until you've done your homework.

Stewart

He was talking about a V10, as was I. For a diesel I would use ELC.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
He was talking about a V10, as was I. For a diesel I would use ELC.
You need to re-read my post. I used the diesel's to illustrate a point.

I know you and he were talking about the V10, that was clear. Just as it was clear I was posting a response to your assertion that using the Ford "gold" for the V10 was bad info by ComputerCowboy, when in fact it wasn't bad info, but was spot on.

Stewart

Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
You need to re-read my post. I used the diesel's to illustrate a point.

I know you and he were talking about the V10, that was clear. Just as it was clear I was posting a response to your assertion that using the Ford "gold" for the V10 was bad info by ComputerCowboy, when in fact it wasn't bad info, but was spot on.

Stewart
Computercowboy claimed the v10 is supposed to use the gold stuff.The earlier Excursion models didn't come with the "Gold" stuff. The manual even states to use the green stuff.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Computercowboy claimed the v10 is supposed to use the gold stuff.The earlier Excursion models didn't come with the "Gold" stuff. The manual even states to use the green stuff.
Like I said, re-read my post.

The "gold" wasn't in use by Ford back in 2000/2001 so naturally your manual WOULDN'T address it.

But now, Ford DOES recommend you fill the V10 with the H-OAT Ford "gold" (Zerex G-05) coolant.

Stewart

Thanks for the clarification.

I did finally find this document that seems to support what you've said:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ref/scucEN.pdf
Click the link in Andrew's quoted post just above this sentence.

Stewart

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
2004Limited
Mountain Pass
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Great discussion, I was not sure about the rear heating system draining, refill, purge. Thanks for the information.