1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy w/ Old Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
okifamdad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy w/ Old Question

Well Folks, let me see if I can get this right the first time. I'm the owner of a 99 Ford F-250 S/D 7.3 Extended Cab 4x4. I love my truck, but I'm having some issues that I'm not sure about. I've searched the forums... and couldn't find what I'm looking for. My truck was running just fine, after a HPOP o-ring replacement, then it just wouldn't start. Truck turns over just fine, checked the 'fuel bowl', noticed it was almost empty. I filled it and it started, then died. I'm not sure if it is the fuel transfer pump or the injector pump. Since the truck started, I'm thinking that it is the transfer pump. Is there a relay, fuse, or something else I can check??? Please help, I need my truck back.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by okifamdad
Well Folks, let me see if I can get this right the first time. I'm the owner of a 99 Ford F-250 S/D 7.3 Extended Cab 4x4. I love my truck, but I'm having some issues that I'm not sure about. I've searched the forums... and couldn't find what I'm looking for. My truck was running just fine, after a HPOP o-ring replacement, then it just wouldn't start. Truck turns over just fine, checked the 'fuel bowl', noticed it was almost empty. I filled it and it started, then died. I'm not sure if it is the fuel transfer pump or the injector pump. Since the truck started, I'm thinking that it is the transfer pump. Is there a relay, fuse, or something else I can check??? Please help, I need my truck back.
Is the Wait To Start (WTS) light coming on/off like normal?

Check your fuses. The Fuel pump is on the frame under the drivers seat...if you have help have someone key the truck on and see if the pump is working.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
okifamdad
New User
ToMang, yes the WTS light is coming on just like normal and the truck cranks like it wants to start. So, let me get this straight, the Fuel pump isn't in the tank (like I thought it was)? That's awesome! I'll have a friend come over and give me a hand with that. I couldn't 'find' a fuse for the fuel pump, I thought it might be a relay.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Yup, it's right on the frame, right under the driver's seat.

I would also check the IPR and the wires going to it, make sure the tin nut is still on it. It IPR is on the back side of the HPOP.

Best bet would be to check the pressure of the fuel bowl, ideal pressure would be between 50-65psi. If you don't have a gauge, you could remove the cover and have somebody key it and watch it fill, or open the fuel bowl drain and place a bucket under the drain and see if it comes out. (It should come out quick/presurized.)

You could have a blockage in the tank, there is a series of mixing screens in the tank that can get plugged up. If you end up going that far it would be a great time to do the harpoon/Hutch mods.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
okifamdad
New User
I've dead about that mod but hadn't tried it yet. I think you'd be right to try it if I have to go into the tank.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if you are having this problem with less than 1/4 tank then i would have to x2 on the hutch mod.. if more in the tank then yah maybe clogged mixing screens...

pump out the fuel before you try to drop the tank....
i did mine and had all the fuel out and i didnt need jacks or anything...
but i noticed a leak that developed while dropping the tank after i got it all back together and got a bit frantic... and dropped the tank a 2 nd time with 12 gallons in it. it was not pleasant.
also check for inline fuel filters between the tank and fuel bowl somewhere... never know where a po may have stuck one in. guess how i found that trick out...

xtof

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
okifamdad
New User
Finally!!! Thanks To Everyone on this Site!

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you for giving your advice so freely. Let me start off by stating that I am a skeptic by nature, so when someone tells me that you can get all the parts to fix this pretty easy... I'm looking for the angle. I did the research, here on FTE, and decided to go with the kit from Strictly Diesel. Those guys ROCK. The kit isn't cheap, either in price or in quality. It only took a couple of days to arrive and it comes very well packaged. The instructions are very well written, but the pictures leave a little to be desired. Once I 'broke' into the tank, damn is all I can say. I love Ford's and trucks, but this is ridiculous
/Users/okifam2001/Downloads/IMG_20120621_185722.jpg

How on earth can an auto manufacturer create such a SINK HOLE? To have a non-servicable part like this is just stupid.
/Users/okifam2001/Downloads/IMG_20120622_215432.jpg

I also did the Hutch Mod while I was in the tank and all I can say is wow. After I re-installed all the old parts with the new parts, pre-filled the new filter, my baby fired up on the first try. I had just over a quarter of a tank of fuel and went straight to the gas station to find out what I've been missing. In the past I could put maybe 25-28 gallons total. I put 25 gallons on top of my quarter of a tank...WOW!
/Users/okifam2001/Downloads/IMG_20120622_215511.jpg

And it's so darn easy. Now I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and have done my HPOP o-rings. I'm telling you this entire fix (total wrench time) took me only about two hours. Now, with that being said, it took me about two days to get the two hours of work done, but that's another story... You know life. I can't tell you all how pleased I am with this site, it has saved me a ton of

Oh, I almost forgot, when I purchased this kit, the e-mail tracking was incredible. As a matter of fact, I wasn't home when the package arrived, but my daughter was. She called me to let me know it arrived, and about five minutes later, I received an e-mail that my shipment had been delivered. Now that is service.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
okifamdad
New User
Dang, I guess I don't know how to post photos...

Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Glad you got her fixed and that she's runnin good.

I think you have to have a certain number of post under your belt before you can post pics. Or you could do like a lot of us when we figured out how much time and money FTE was saving us and become a supporter.

Welcome to FTE. Look forward to havin you around.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes... a supporter. I delayed this step and endured all the ads loading before I could get to the good stuff. I finally did my one-year subscription thing and all of a sudden I could post attachments, pictures, send/receive personal messages and those ads - they're gone! I also got access to the Members Only forum, but I don't use that much.

If you really want to learn more about your engine there are two things you can do:
  1. Click all the links in my signature.
  2. Hang out here [LINK]