Sponsored by: Moser

First time carb rebuild, some specific questions about motorcraft 2100 D

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
stxchck13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time carb rebuild, some specific questions about motorcraft 2100 D

I just bought a 73 f100 ranger edition. The truck was stalling out when put into gear, mechanic said it needed a carb rebuild and knowing me he said to give it a try (I like to try things myself and learn as I go). I haven't had a carb. vehicle in ages so I'm relearning (previous was an 88 EFI F150). I took it out, rebuilt it, did very well until the choke adjustment section. My choke cover has no markings on it to line up with the index as referenced in my ford manuals (factory set 5 volume) or the motorcraft carb rebuild instructions. The choke cover does not have any words on it or any mark that I can find to line up with the index and do the adjustments referenced such as off choke pull down adjustment or fast idle cam linkage adjustment, etc. Because I don't know where to start I can't turn it 90 degrees rich, etc. I put the choke cover back on in the same position I took it off in, put the carb back on and now it won't start at all. I am guessing that I didn't align the choke cover correctly? I'm not sure since I could not proceed with the rest of the adjustments without knowing how to align the choke cover. I also noted when rebuilding the float was way off on the 7/16th measurement. It was well over an inch below the top of the bowl (dry). I changed it to 7/16. (the only other thing I actually adjusted). The last thing I ran into was the order of holes on the overtravel lever. The ford five volume set states that the holes are numbered from the top down, 1-4. The motorcraft rebuild instructions as well as some internet guides I found all say the opposite, that it is numbered bottom to top. The correct setting is 3 but from the top or bottom? I'm not sure where I am in carb land but those are the three main things I had trouble with so if it rings a bell with anyone I'd love the help before I have to take it to the mechanic. I understand there is probably a million things I could have messed up in the process but I tried to be very clear about the things that I know I adjusted or had questions about, you guys have always been very helpful on this board so if I left out pertinent information please let me know. thank you. I can email pictures of choke cover, the front has two metal triangles directly opposite one another but other than that no markings. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The pot-metal choke housing should have 7 tiny bumps along the top. From the back of the truck to the front, they are 3-rich, 2-rich, 1-rich, index, 1-lean, 2-lean, 3-lean. The only mark on the black choke cap should be a tiny notch. This gets lined up to one of the 7 notches on the housing.

It's not uncommon to have to adjust the float height during a rebuild because different rebuild kit manufacturers have slightly different needles and seats. The height should always be checked regardless.

I'll try to dig up a rebuild sheet in the shop that should have the order of the over-travel holes marked; I can't remember the direction off the top of my head.