1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F3 Transmission Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
49truck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 F3 Transmission Options

Hi

My 4 speed non synchro is a little worn with large sections missing to the spur gears. Rather than looking for rebuild parts I was considering options for a synchro box.

Now I know there are loads of links on here about this very topic but none seem to be definitive as to what the options are in terms of straight bolt in, mods needed, parts availability, etc. it's looks like a T98 silent synchro from an F6 would be the most straight forward replacement but I imagine these boxes are hard to come by, what are rebuild kits / parts like for these?

If anyone has successfully replaced their crash box in an F3 for a synchro and can let me know the issues, mods, all products out there needed to finish job that would be real helpful. If I'm going to swap out the transmission I want a good clear understanding of what I'm in for!

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will tell you what route I took , but considering your location any thing is going to be costly (shipping cost) . I chose to use a Borg-Warner T5 5speed overdrive box with an adaptor plate from Macs antique auto parts . Solves two problems at once syncro transmission and improves final drive ratio . Just my solution ,there are others .

Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
The cleanest no drama swap would be the 3HD that was optional on the F-2s and F-3s. Should be a bolt in swap. They are synchro on 2nd and 3rd, which is really all you need. Finding one might be an another issue though. I'd love to find one too. Other than that I don't know much else about them. Stu

Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 AM
49truck
Freshman User
Thanks guys.

On the T5 conversion:
- what year box did you use?
- Does the box go onto the original hogs head with the adapter you mention?
- Presumably it needed the rear mount relocating?
- Did the shifter need some adjustment so it didn't hit the seat?
- how did you deal with the driveshaft and main drive?

Sorry for all the questions but if im going to go this route i want to be sure i know what i'm in for as being in the uk parts will be a slight issue. Have you got any photos of your install oldmerc?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
If you are interested in later synchro transmissions I highly recommend you call Chuck of Chuck's Trucks. He has a rear mount design that allows you to put a top loader overdrive type aluminum transmission into your truck with no frame cutting.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 PM
49truck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
If you are interested in later synchro transmissions I highly recommend you call Chuck of Chuck's Trucks. He has a rear mount design that allows you to put a top loader overdrive type aluminum transmission into your truck with no frame cutting.
Ok thanks, will give him a call.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 PM
helicopterman
Freshman User
Hi Andrew
I just realized that you're not a million miles from me, about 8 in fact. My 1949 F2 is completely stock apart from the transmission that the PO installed. It's an NP435 as fitted to later Ford and other pickups and has synchro on 2nd to 4th and retains the granny 1st gear. There is a thick adaptor plate and the trans mount has been move rearward and the driveshaft was shortened. It works really well so if you want to try it or cross reference any F2 to F3 parts, let me know.
Speaking of Chuck's trucks, I've just ordered his 4.11 diff conversion kit to raise the gearing.
Cheers.
Bob

Old 11-29-2013, 03:25 PM
49truck
Freshman User
Hi Bob

How strange, two old F series shipped all that way and end up only a few miles apart! Where was yours from? Mine was from Nebraska.

I bought a rebuilt F4/6 synco 4 speed trans from chuck (still granny 1st gear). It was pretty much a bolt straight in which was great as I didn't want to cut the truck up. It just need a slightly shortened drive shaft which wasn't a problem as the original was badly bent so Bailey Morris in St Neots made me one up, it used a different yoke too.

Whilst on this I too got one of the 4.11 ring and pinions from chuck, makes the top end much better. Was an excuse to overhaul the rear axle at the same time!

My F3 is pretty stock, the only mods I made whilst I restored it were a 3" dropped front beam using an original donor I beam and I took a few leafs out on the back. I just prefer it to sit slightly lower.

This truck was the start of my American car / truck addiction and I now have many 40's 50's and 60's imports.

Where are you based?

Andrew

Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 AM
helicopterman
Freshman User
Andrew
Yes, small world eh! I'm at West Deeping, just the other side of Stamford, so if you're going past pop in.
My truck was from North Dakota, then spent several years on display in an appliance store, then a restaurant in Duluth before being imported in 2004.
I'm glad you got your transmission sorted and surprised you've already installed Chuck's 4.11 conversion kit. I started a thread on this conversion and I wonder if you mind going on it and describing how the installation went because I, along with other members, am very interested in how easy or difficult it was.
Wow, you're collection sounds great. What other US vehicles have you got?
Bob