1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

High EGTs towing to Moab

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High EGTs towing to Moab

So, last week my family and I took a camping vacation to Moab. Stayed out in Area BFE like usual. We drove from Denver over I-70 to Moab.

Anyway, I was towing my 4runner on my car hauler with the 97' F350. I had a full load of wood between the fenders on the deck as well as a fully loaded large cooler for drinks. In the back of the truck I had a 900lb golf cart, ramps, etc. I figure around 8500lbs total.

Pretty much every pull over a 5% grade I was having to drop into 2nd to keep the EGTs down. I could easily go over 1300* in my 80hp or 60hp tow modes. Once in Grand Junction I was running into a 25mph headwind. Even on some minor pulls in Utah I was easily hitting 1300*+ and having to shift repeatedly into 3rd to keep temps down. I ended dropping back to stock tunes just to keep the EGTs running at under 1250*.

Truck is in my sig. DP Tuner. Checked for boost leaks. Up-pipes are soot free as are manifolds at the block. Only place I see any soot pre-turbo is around the EGT probe itself. The PO installed the probe into the flange on the DS up-pipe. I don't see much soot, but I have to assume this is the leak. Good even a very subtle leak cause such high EGTs?

I just also checked out my turbo for end play and feel none. So, I want to rule it out. No Y-pipe leaks either as I replaced the gasket from Y-pipe to compressor recently.

97', Non-CA w/ Stock single shot injectors.

FWIW, I ended up towing my 4runner home with the wife's Excursion (basically an identical setup) and never once got over 1300 and was pulling both Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel at 65mph easily. Very similar weight minus the golf cart. But I did have an Engine/tranny/tcase come home with me which were around 600lbs.

Anyway, will even a subtle leak cause EGTs to go through the roof?

Also, I did notice, that since I put the boost gauge on the truck, the needle will flutter 1-2psi at all times above 4psi on the gauge. I figured this was a faulty gauge and just dealt with it.

Its really frustrating getting passed by gassers on I-70 towing more weight. I mean I was having to run at 45mph in 2nd gear just to keep temps down.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welscome to my world... I'm right down in Castle Rock and have been fighting with this dammed truck for the last two months with temperatures... I am running a pretty similar setup minus an intercooler that is currently not hooked up but anytime I'm towing I am running on a stock tune due to heat issues.

I am surprised you are hitting that temp with an intercooler though. I can hit 1000 on the down pipe easy on a stock tune pyro pulling anything 5k and up over 70...Even towing 287 to laramie I am having heat issues. The higher hp setting the better my EGTS run however they are still way too high for me.... I am also having performance issues with my Tuner where I'll billow smoke out the tail pipe. I have limited it down to a few issues..

UP PIPES, Tunes, or HPOP

Here a re a few threads I have started since this began when I finally installed a pyro into the down pipe to read temps...same time my tuner went in...

Tuning issues and EGT'S - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rbo-surge.html

turbo surge thread is not about surge...determined that quickly..

My Wifes family lives up in Windsor. I would be more than happy to swing by some time and sort of compare heat numbers and tuner settings. As well as power...That is if you are interested... I used to be a big rock crawler myself btw

I am having an issue where my truck just blows black smoke past 60% throttle in a non stock tune setting... power drops off pretty quick and the motor feels like its lost its *****. Sort of wish I could sit in another truck close to a similar setup and see what it feels like.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like either your tuning has issues, you have a boost leak, or both. How did you check for leaks? pressurize the system and spray all connections with soapy water and look for leaks. Really look at the intake plenums when you check them. Unless the leak at your EGT probe is actually leaking quite a bit, that's probably not the problem.

As far as the boost gauge flutter, it's probably a leak or the nylon tubing is crimped somewhere.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by nossliw
Welscome to my world... I'm right down in Castle Rock and have been fighting with this dammed truck for the last two months with temperatures... I am running a pretty similar setup minus an intercooler that is currently not hooked up but anytime I'm towing I am running on a stock tune due to heat issues.

I am surprised you are hitting that temp with an intercooler though. I can hit 1000 on the down pipe easy on a stock tune pyro pulling anything 5k and up over 70...Even towing 287 to laramie I am having heat issues. The higher hp setting the better my EGTS run however they are still way too high for me.... I am also having performance issues with my Tuner where I'll billow smoke out the tail pipe. I have limited it down to a few issues..

UP PIPES, Tunes, or HPOP

Here a re a few threads I have started since this began when I finally installed a pyro into the down pipe to read temps...same time my tuner went in...

Tuning issues and EGT'S - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rbo-surge.html

turbo surge thread is not about surge...determined that quickly..

My Wifes family lives up in Windsor. I would be more than happy to swing by some time and sort of compare heat numbers and tuner settings. As well as power...That is if you are interested... I used to be a big rock crawler myself btw

I am having an issue where my truck just blows black smoke past 60% throttle in a non stock tune setting... power drops off pretty quick and the motor feels like its lost its *****. Sort of wish I could sit in another truck close to a similar setup and see what it feels like.
I had actually read your post yesterday, and yes, I agree they are similar issues. But, I still think that even in a stock tune my temps are way too high which is why I am ruling out the tuner.

My previous truck was a 96' F250 with a 5spd. I had PHP tunes in it and a very similar setup. I never once even hit 1300* when towing with that and that included pulling my buggy to/from Buena Vista several times to run Carnage Canyon on 285. I also delivered the buggy to Sweetgrass, MT in January for the new owner and never even needed to shift out of 5th gear. Even into a 50mph wind. So, this is something I need to get under control in a hurry.

at first I assumed that it was the turbo. Even talked to Bob at Diesel O-rings to get a quote on a new one today. Then pulled the intake hoses and checked it and everything is tight. So, I am trying to rule it out as well. He scared me a little thinking it might be bent valve though. I hear no ticking at all though, so I doubt it. But, it could be a stuck injector though I guess.

Have you recently done injectors on yours?

Oh, and I am not intercooled yet. Its still sitting on the shop floor.

I do need to do a turbo leak test.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
What kind of boost numbers are you seeing both when EGT is high, and under control? What RPM?

Driving style has a lot to do with EGT control in my experience. Shift down early and let her go. you need the RPM to make the boost and use the fuel.

My rig could hit 1200 towing on stock tuning. You've got a good load, big tires, and a chip, IC will do wonders in my experience.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am thinking possibly tunes, i would tow around 9k and run my chip on extreme with stock sticks and with an intercooler and i would never get over 1050 sometimes 1100 but that was on days when it was 85-90 degrees out, when i sent my chip in and got a reburn for my new sticks and then pulling the same if not less weight i would hit 1350 on days were it was 50 degrees, got my new sticks put in and really noticed that my tuning was off my timing was way advanced which caused less boost and more heat even with stock sticks lost about 4-5 pouns boost and egt raised 200degrees. i was thinking tunes cause on the stock setting you dont have the heat issue and i have never had egt problems till i reburned the chip and i am running 35s and 3.54 gears with a manual

Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Its a constant battle, that's for sure. The D66 helped a little and the IC & water injection helped. I'm thinking serious about a different turbo, I'm in Travis's turbo 101 class but I'm a slow learner. LOL

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
I'll be doing a leak test today.

Running to work today, It would hit 1100* under normal acceleration completely unloaded. Seems like its getting worse.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 AM
cornbinder
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
i am thinking possibly tunes, i would tow around 9k and run my chip on extreme with stock sticks and with an intercooler and i would never get over 1050 sometimes 1100 but that was on days when it was 85-90 degrees out, when i sent my chip in and got a reburn for my new sticks and then pulling the same if not less weight i would hit 1350 on days were it was 50 degrees, got my new sticks put in and really noticed that my tuning was off my timing was way advanced which caused less boost and more heat even with stock sticks lost about 4-5 pouns boost and egt raised 200degrees. i was thinking tunes cause on the stock setting you dont have the heat issue and i have never had egt problems till i reburned the chip and i am running 35s and 3.54 gears with a manual
what your saying makes sense, timing being off could cause lots of heat, throw in a bunch of boost and a fuel map that doesn't jive with the timing and that's a recipe for lots od heat!! it sounds like his issue could deffinetely in the tunes. pete

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
I can hit 1600 on a hard wot run to about 85 on what I would guess is a 4 to 5% grade. That's as hot as it will get. That's pushing somewhere around 35 psi of boost.

I have Stock SD ad injectors and the stock obs charger. Cruising on flay ground I see 650 unloaded. What does it look like cruising. 1100 accelerating isn't that hot really as it drops right back down. When mine hits 1600 it drops off pretty quick when I come out of the throttle.

Since I can't see sigs on mobile do you have an IC.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by bad12jr
I can hit 1600 on a hard wot run to about 85 on what I would guess is a 4 to 5% grade. That's as hot as it will get. That's pushing somewhere around 35 psi of boost.

I have Stock SD ad injectors and the stock obs charger. Cruising on flay ground I see 650 unloaded. What does it look like cruising. 1100 accelerating isn't that hot really as it drops right back down. When mine hits 1600 it drops off pretty quick when I come out of the throttle.

Since I can't see sigs on mobile do you have an IC.
No IC yet. Typically at 70mph on flat ground I run around 800-850. Doesn't matter what tune either. Stock is the same.

I checked the intake side and it's all tight. I'm replacing the redish intake boot on the intake tube as it's pretty screwed up.

I am going to redrill the pyro probe and plug the old port to see if that is the issue. I hope it is since it's the only thing left.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
One thing to mention is that I still feel like I am too hot even in stock tune. I run identical tunes in the Excursion and it runs cooler EGTs all the time. Even in stock tune.
And my old 96 never even got close to these temps at all.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
from what am seeing is that you are not currently running an itercooler on the pickup and the excursion does have one and the other thing is that with the spread in years the 2 vehicles have 2 different engines and the tunes will be completly different due to the injectors them selves.

are you running the same chip that was in your 96 currently in your picjup now or did you get a new chip for the pickup

Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
hmmm another high EGT thread with a DP tuner...interesting. yep throwing mine out the window. it also doesnt help that your not intercooled YET, that will help significantly. If you have EGT issues after you intercool it then its deffinetly the tuner. but my cousin could never hit over 1200 when his truck was stock with a dp..

Old 06-02-2012, 01:08 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
With stock aa's I don't ever remember my egts over. 1200 ever. Idc what I was doing. The fuel just wasn't there. What kind of exhaust and air filter are you running.

Quick Reply: High EGTs towing to Moab