6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Baked and Painted-Headlights!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Baked and Painted-Headlights!

First time trying to paint my headlights, pretty simple, but took alonnngggg time.

There is lots of info on how to do this online/youtube, but here is my quick blurp on how I did mine. Put the headlights in my oven, found 200 degrees was best( don't really recommend doing it this way as the lights are just to big, would use a heat gun if I was doing this again). 8 mins in the oven to warm up the sealant and pull the housing apart. Took several warm ups in the oven to fully get the housings apart.

Once apart I scrotch-brited all the chrome off, scrubbed with nail polish remover twice, toned down the reflectors with some tape. Used Krylon Fusion (this stuff is awesome) started with light coats, not sure how many coats I used, just kept going till I was happy.

Resealed the housings, straped down with tie-wraps and put weight on top and left them for a couple hours....done...

I will put more pics on later of the process, my wife stole my phone AGAIN with all my pics on it today. If anybody would like more info, ask away, I will try and help.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
That looks fantastic! I love it...

What did you use to seal the lens back on the housing?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
That looks fantastic! I love it...

What did you use to seal the lens back on the housing?
I used a heck of lot of auto silicone, sometimes you can use the old sealant, just put it back into the oven after you put all back together, this was my plan, but the old sealant came off in chunks and strips. Hopefully no leaks

Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great, thanks a lot, just added ANOTHER thing to my list of to do's.

Just guessing here but wonder if there is a preformed windshild sealant that could be used for re-assembly.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Looks great, thanks a lot, just added ANOTHER thing to my list of to do's.

Just guessing here but wonder if there is a preformed windshild sealant that could be used for re-assembly.
lol your welcome.

I was looking at windshield sealant when I ran to pick up the silicone, but I wasn't sure. I'm sure it would be better. Some people buy the actual sealant from the dealer...

Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What finish did you use? Flat, satin, gloss?? I believe this is going to be my weekend project.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, would you post a couple pics once you get the lights reinstalled? I'd like to see how it looks all back together.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Also, would you post a couple pics once you get the lights reinstalled? I'd like to see how it looks all back together.

Ya for sure, I'm just waiting out the rain right now...trying to get my hids put in too...

I'll check the paint can later too for the type.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Docindahouze
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really great job!!! the "black headlight mod" as we call it on the Tacoma forums was one of the first mods I did to my 05 tacoma back when I first bought. it was one my most favorite thing I did to the truck. it changes the looks completely.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Docindahouze
Really great job!!! the "black headlight mod" as we call it on the Tacoma forums was one of the first mods I did to my 05 tacoma back when I first bought. it was one my most favorite thing I did to the truck. it changes the looks completely.
Thanks alot! Took forever lol, grill is going back on in 2 minutes, lovin' the look so far

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Docindahouze
Senior User
can't wait to see some pics. you should have seen the look my families face when they saw me putting my headlights in the oven. same look they gave me recently when they saw me drilling 15 holes in a brand new roof just so I can have some marker lights. it's takes some ***** to do this kind of mod cause there is a lot of risk but the results are worth it. I was thinking about doing this mod myself again but decided not to on my truck because there are alot of different colors on it already. my Tacoma was strictly black and white theme which is why it looks so good. my ford has white/adobe two tone, and alot of chrome. throwing in the black headlights will not look that good on my truck.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Docindahouze
can't wait to see some pics. you should have seen the look my families face when they saw me putting my headlights in the oven. same look they gave me recently when they saw me drilling 15 holes in a brand new roof just so I can have some marker lights. it's takes some ***** to do this kind of mod cause there is a lot of risk but the results are worth it. I was thinking about doing this mod myself again but decided not to on my truck because there are alot of different colors on it already. my Tacoma was strictly black and white theme which is why it looks so good. my ford has white/adobe two tone, and alot of chrome. throwing in the black headlights will not look that good on my truck.
Ya lol my wifey let out a wtf scream when I put the housing in the oven

Sounds like all the chrome on your new truck needs to be darkened a bit, then black headlights will look good!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Toned down reflector, wasn't sure if I would like it, but seems ok

6000k led driving lights

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Docindahouze
Senior User
looks great! take some pics from further distance and get the whole truck in the shot. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baked and Painted-Headlights!