Talking about one HOT Camper!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Yes, never do it! Here is why and it has nothing to do with the refrigerator. Traveling with the fridge on gas means the tank valves are open. That means in the event of an accident, the tank valves are open. I know the flow will slug down if there is a rupture in the line, but it still bleeds plenty of gas. Probably will never happen, but it is like standing under a tree in a lightening storm. Ever so often -

A small bowl of ice and keeping the reefer door shut will work wonders. If you gotta have it cooling while driving, add some batteries and a small inverter and run it on electric.

Steve
Interesting you say this. I have traveled with Travel Trailers, Class A motorhome and now the 5th wheel, in all of my years of traveling on the road, I have always left the propane on and cooled with it. This one incident has really made me rethink this. I have a 1000 watt inverter, I will give it a try here in a week when I take my next trip.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:17 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Interesting you say this. I have traveled with Travel Trailers, Class A motorhome and now the 5th wheel, in all of my years of traveling on the road, I have always left the propane on and cooled with it. This one incident has really made me rethink this. I have a 1000 watt inverter, I will give it a try here in a week when I take my next trip.
Your AC element is going to draw about 2.5-3.1 amps and a very small bit more for the control board, so your inverter should be able to handle it. Just watch your battery capacity. I would think two golf cart batteries in series would be the ideal for most folks here.

I have seen folks towing with flames billowing out the vent door on their fridge, but really it is the unexpected that is the problem.

As you likely know, there is an increasing move to either all electric systems or having an inverter for the fridge as standard equipment in many higher-end units.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
jeez, that really took off fast... too bad

Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Hey folks, it looks like the Chairman/CEO, Marcus Lemonis, has gotten involved in this issue. He said in a post the he will not tolerate rude or unsympethetic issues.
I personally am glad that Mr. Lemonis has interviened, even by a post on the issue. This just added some merit back to Camping World and Good Sam.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

The people who had the fire which started this thread now has another thread on the rv.net forums. Here it is! They are about ready to move on, to me very interesting at how well the local Dealer has gone above an beyond to accomodate!

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: aftermath of Mitchell Rv Fire

Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
That is cool that the RV dealer is letting them live in the new 5th wheel without a cent from them so far. Just goes to show you that there are still some good people on this earth. Glad everything worked out well for them.

Jim

Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reinforce that good deed byt anyone in the area go by and buy something from Jack's and say "we heard how much you helped...."

Reward GOOD behavior and it will create more of it

Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
After reading both those threads, it appears to me that the OP started the threads, then never re-visited them to answer any of the posed questions.

I think they were treated extremely well by the good towns-folks of Mitchell, but what ill can you say about a town that has a Corn Palace?

I would like to hear that recording, too, to see if they were really treated as poorly by Good Sam as they believed. I'd bet that Mr. Lemonis has heard it. I wonder what he thought.

Pop

Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
After reading both those threads, it appears to me that the OP started the threads, then never re-visited them to answer any of the posed questions.

I think they were treated extremely well by the good towns-folks of Mitchell, but what ill can you say about a town that has a Corn Palace?

I would like to hear that recording, too, to see if they were really treated as poorly by Good Sam as they believed. I'd bet that Mr. Lemonis has heard it. I wonder what he thought.

Pop
Mr. Lemonis actually posted in the original thread and was asking for a few details in one post. I am confident that something was done to help. It may not have been a total solution, but I just feel there was something either communicaiton with the rv dealer or other compensation. Still it sounds as if the story is coming to a rather good end and they can still head on to Alaska. I do have to say, that is dedication to the original plan. Lose your RV and still make plans to finish your trip!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
My impression given reading multiple postings on different sites including FTE is a great many comments are based upon one-sided information with everyone piling on. In reading the posting on the RV site, that was my impression at that time, thus my original comment.

I am glad the folks who suffered the loss of their companion animals and their possessions are moving ahead. I am not sure if I would have been able to do the same were I in their situation.

Steve