Can anybody ID this old Vanguard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody ID this old Vanguard?

Can anybody ID this Vanguard camper, and by any chance would you know where to get a manual for it, or generic instructions on how to work it (load potable, empty sewage, etc)? These are the only pictures I have, it belongs to a friend of mine and I'm thinking about buying it along with the truck. He said the camper was put in the truck when it was new so it should be around a 1976 model. Thanks.
-Drew

Old 12-04-2017, 03:07 AM
Burro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experience with Vanguard, but fwiw:

Apparently, Vanguard stopped making TCs in 1986. That is a long time ago.
In my experience, there are typically no manuals that go with the truck campers.
The appliances are all made by the same bunch of manufacturers. The rest is not rocket science - if you know how to deal with one TC, you will probably be OK with another vone as well.

You might find appliance manuals here that help you out: Service Documents and Manuals

Nice looking truck and camper, btw!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Burro
I have no experience with Vanguard, but fwiw:

Apparently, Vanguard stopped making TCs in 1986. That is a long time ago.
In my experience, there are typically no manuals that go with the truck campers.
The appliances are all made by the same bunch of manufacturers. The rest is not rocket science - if you know how to deal with one TC, you will probably be OK with another vone as well.

You might find appliance manuals here that help you out: Service Documents and Manuals

Nice looking truck and camper, btw!
Thanks Burro. Having never operated a camper before, is there like a "campers for dummies" book or website or anything? I'm buying this from a friend, and I'm planning on making a road trip on the way back. I don't want to blow poopie all over myself trying to figure out how to empty the toilet for the first time
-Drew

Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 AM
Burro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there like a "campers for dummies" book
Actually there are a few. Just go to Amazon and type "RVing for dummies" or the like and see what comes up. I don't know if they are any good.
There are also a number of instructional videos on Youtube. This one, for example:
(I had to watch it when we rented our first ever RV back in 2008. It wasn't all bad)
I am sure a number of similar videos will pop up when you watch the one I linked.
RVing in a class C is no different from Truck Camping as long as you leave the camper on the truck ;-)

Having said that...
The oldest RV I have any experience with was a Truck Camper from 2001. RV technology moves fairly slowly, so 1976 is probably similar, but not the same. You basically have two tasks ahead of you. One, how do I RV? Two, how do I RV in a 40 year old Truck Camper? From what I can see on the pictures, the Vanguard looks like it may be quite similar to what is still out there today. Water heater and Fridge may be more mechanical. The furnace appears to be a forced air type, similar to what is still in use today. Can the seller walk you through and show you how the individual appliances work? If not, do you know someone with RV experience who you could take along?

There are a few resources on the web (I hope posting these here is not against forum policy): tincantourists.com are a group of people who deal with classical trailers. On the Open Roads Forum (rv.net, trailerlife.net), there are also a lot of people who have experience with older RVs. There are many more out there, I am sure.

It will be of great help if someone could just show you around once and explain everything. There is nothing very complicated about it - millions of people go RVing every day, and so can you.

About the Truck and camper in question: That is a rare find. Those two have been together over 40 years. It would be a shame to separate them now. I would want to buy this combo in a heartbeat if I had the money and the space for a second TC ;-)
But the camper is 40 years old. It looks well maintained, but that is only half the truth - at most. Any unit this old is bound to have any number of issues from wood rot to broken pipes or connectors to appliances that may need a good cleaning to work well again. The camper is a gem in that it is an untouched original. The truck looks very clean as well. But if you choose to buy it and use it, be prepared to run into problems. Camper technology is pretty low-tech and a simple screw driver and some common sense go a long way. But only you know how comfortable you will be fixing a water leak in the middle of the night because of a suddenly cracked pipe.

If there are any structural issues (likely with a camper of this age), you need to be aware of them before you buy. But even if the camper was under a roof all of its life and is rock solid at this time - exposing it to the elements now without a thorough inspection and some resealing will probably do it no good.

Hope this helps,
Joerg / Burro

Old 12-06-2017, 06:31 AM
Brownac1983
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Burro
Actually there are a few. Just go to Amazon and type "RVing for dummies" or the like and see what comes up. I don't know if they are any good.
There are also a number of instructional videos on Youtube. This one, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdr4Z1LBKY
(I had to watch it when we rented our first ever RV back in 2008. It wasn't all bad)
I am sure a number of similar videos will pop up when you watch the one I linked.
RVing in a class C is no different from Truck Camping as long as you leave the camper on the truck ;-)

Having said that...
The oldest RV I have any experience with was a Truck Camper from 2001. RV technology moves fairly slowly, so 1976 is probably similar, but not the same. You basically have two tasks ahead of you. One, how do I RV? Two, how do I RV in a 40 year old Truck Camper? From what I can see on the pictures, the Vanguard looks like it may be quite similar to what is still out there today. Water heater and Fridge may be more mechanical. The furnace appears to be a forced air type, similar to what is still in use today. Can the seller walk you through and show you how the individual appliances work? If not, do you know someone with RV experience who you could take along?

There are a few resources on the web (I hope posting these here is not against forum policy): tincantourists.com are a group of people who deal with classical trailers. On the Open Roads Forum (rv.net, trailerlife.net), there are also a lot of people who have experience with older RVs. There are many more out there, I am sure.

It will be of great help if someone could just show you around once and explain everything. There is nothing very complicated about it - millions of people go RVing every day, and so can you.

About the Truck and camper in question: That is a rare find. Those two have been together over 40 years. It would be a shame to separate them now. I would want to buy this combo in a heartbeat if I had the money and the space for a second TC ;-)
But the camper is 40 years old. It looks well maintained, but that is only half the truth - at most. Any unit this old is bound to have any number of issues from wood rot to broken pipes or connectors to appliances that may need a good cleaning to work well again. The camper is a gem in that it is an untouched original. The truck looks very clean as well. But if you choose to buy it and use it, be prepared to run into problems. Camper technology is pretty low-tech and a simple screw driver and some common sense go a long way. But only you know how comfortable you will be fixing a water leak in the middle of the night because of a suddenly cracked pipe.

If there are any structural issues (likely with a camper of this age), you need to be aware of them before you buy. But even if the camper was under a roof all of its life and is rock solid at this time - exposing it to the elements now without a thorough inspection and some resealing will probably do it no good.

Hope this helps,
Joerg / Burro
Thanks Burro. That helps a lot.
-Drew

Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM
hdbagger
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
facebook has many groups ie vintage campers, beginners, where to camp free or ratings. there are also many apps for your phone. straight forward make water I'm the bathroom but bag your crap...