Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP ME BREATH !

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 AM
BLADEMAKER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ME BREATH !

Has anyone used this banks intake? my son keeps saying get the K&N but I like the fact that this one is covered? Pros and cons please share.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 AM
BLADEMAKER
New User
My bad....I havent had my cup of sunshine yet........

BANKS RAM-AIR INTAKE SYSTEM 1999-03 FORD F250 F350 7.3L | eBay

Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm partial to the AIS because of performance and the availability of aftermarket and dealership filters. Link in my signature.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's some other options and a cheaper than the Bank$ kit:

Riffraff Diesel: AFE Stage 1 Intake

Riffraff Diesel: Ford AIS Extended Life Filter Kit

Riffraff Diesel: S&B Cold Air Intake Kit - Dry Flow Element

I personally run the AIS also and cannot fault it for anything. It breathes fine and filters the best in the market.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do the 6637 and be done with it. Come to think of it, I did.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by miller_feed
I am with Rick...Easy,cheap and great quality
I did as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought about getting it but the price kept me from buying it so I went with the AFE big boost filter. Love being able to hear the turbo do its magic.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BLADEMAKER
Has anyone used this banks intake? my son keeps saying get the K&N but I like the fact that this one is covered? Pros and cons please share.
I don't know if your truck is modded or not,but I spoke to Banks in regards to their intake and they could not tell me the cfm's it is capable of..The 6637 is rated at less than 500 cfm (I believe),the AFE big boost is rated at 850cfm (which is the one I currently use) and I set the minder light with it fairly easy..I am looking at the AFE stage 2 pro5r, it is suppose to flow at 1100 cfm and do a good job as far as filtration

Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Yep, me too!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Hawk180
Senior User
I guess it would depend also on how much noise you are willing to tolerate. The 6637, like many other filter kits is an open filter, so you are going to get a bit more turbo noise. The AIS and I believe the Banks are closed box systems. So they keep the turbo noise to a minimum. Or you could be a cheapo like my neighbor and cut a secondary inlet on the factory box similar to what Tugly did with his AIS. And then there is the Zoodad mod. Anything you do to gt more air to these engines will help. They will take all you want to give them. I think the factory box is inadequate, it simply cannot flow enough air in the factory configuration.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the AIS Stage 1 and have been happy with it. Quiet, seems to be doing a good job with EGTs coupled with the 4 inch exhaust.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk180
I guess it would depend also on how much noise you are willing to tolerate. The 6637, like many other filter kits is an open filter, so you are going to get a bit more turbo noise. The AIS and I believe the Banks are closed box systems. So they keep the turbo noise to a minimum. Or you could be a cheapo like my neighbor and cut a secondary inlet on the factory box similar to what Tugly did with his AIS. And then there is the Zoodad mod. Anything you do to gt more air to these engines will help. They will take all you want to give them. I think the factory box is inadequate, it simply cannot flow enough air in the factory configuration.
Dyno a truck with a factory intake... Then remove the intake all together...

It will dyno the same.

Just saying.

For 99.9% of the guys out there, the factory air box is more then enough... AIS is all you really need and it filters GREAT.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Dyno a truck with a factory intake... Then remove the intake all together...

It will dyno the same.

Just saying.

For 99.9% of the guys out there, the factory air box is more then enough... AIS is all you really need and it filters GREAT.
Gonna side with Joe on this one. Gonna ditch my 6637. I know its popular, and call me crazy, but I dont like it. Once you get to sucking air you can really hear the air being sucked in and it sounds restricted. That combined with a lower CFM rating than the factory one doesnt sit well with me.

Gonna grab me an AIS.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Hawk180
Senior User
I guess the dyno is a good tool for getting a baseline HP reading for and engine and seeing what effect certain mods or tuning tricks do. I have been involved with oval track racing for a long time. (over 30 years). We use the dyno to see if the engine is within a ball park figure of where we want or expect it to be. But the real test is in real life operation. As far as the 7.3 dynoing the same with or without the factory box, I can see how that is possible given the airflow characteristics of the tubes vs the open inlet of the turbo. However, if you add the properly shaped inlet duct, you will improve the airflow to the turbo, giving it a "boost" so to speak. That is why on carbureted race engines, we don't run an open carb any more. There are air cleaner/filter combos that will actually clean up the flow entering the carb and lower the laps times. Same thing with air cleaner boxes and inlet tubes. If the inlet tube is designed correctly and the air box will supply the inlet tube with enough air, flowing correctly, a small power increase can be obtained. This 445 CI engine will handle a lot of air. With simple mods to the stock air box to increase the abiity of the engine to draw in more air, there are those who have seen power and fuel economy gains. You may be correct in the dyno comparisons, but in day-to-day operations, some have seen improvement. Of course it all comes with the disclaimer "Past performance is no indicator of future gains".

Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk180
This 445 CI engine will handle a lot of air.
Lets try that c.i. again.......

Why not an S&B, in the end its all up to you if you want to spend a lot more money than you need to go ahead...... its not going to affect me. Good luck in whatever you decide

Quick Reply: HELP ME BREATH !