Sponsored by: Moser

highbeam dimmer switch relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
stang_me1990
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
highbeam dimmer switch relocation

Hey all, I've been searching to see if anyone has got rid of the stock dimmer switch on the floor and used a lever on the column like on newer vehicles. Have any of you tried it or seen/heard of it being done? Maybe an aftermarket column? I want to get mine off the floor so if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
And you would want it off the floor why?!! Tis just natural to me,,, seems odd when they're not there,,,, my foot is searching till I remember I am in the newer ones in my fleet!! DOH!!! Course the first few minutes I am also reaching for the shifter as my left foot is bobbin up and down looking for the clutch also,,,

Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM
stang_me1990
Junior User
in a wheelchair now or it would be stayin on the floor

Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
'Could get a steering wheel with built-in, thumb-positioned microswitches. One for the beams and your choice on use of the other one... IIRC, it's one made by Grant or Momo.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I must like them on the floor a lot as I now have two of them mounted on the floor! Actually, one is for the headlights, but the other is for the manual shift mode of the Gear Vendors overdrive unit I installed. I just had to figure out a position for both of them that would feel natural for each of their individual functions. My stereo installer saw both foot switches and was instantly confused until I explained it to him. Regardless, if Gear Vendors thinks that a footswitch is appropriate for their product, I suppose they're comfortable with the headlight dimmer being on the floor too. Moving that function to the column sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth to me, but that's just my $0.02. Remember, it's all about what you want, and you never know.....innovation comes from ideas like that.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
78fourby4f250
Junior User
dimmer switch

I dont know a good way to get it on the column but I have plans on mine to just run wires to the dash and put a switch on the dash.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Behemoth
I must like them on the floor a lot as I now have two of them mounted on the floor! Actually, one is for the headlights, but the other is for the manual shift mode of the Gear Vendors overdrive unit I installed. I just had to figure out a position for both of them that would feel natural for each of their individual functions. My stereo installer saw both foot switches and was instantly confused until I explained it to him. Regardless, if Gear Vendors thinks that a footswitch is appropriate for their product, I suppose they're comfortable with the headlight dimmer being on the floor too. Moving that function to the column sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth to me, but that's just my $0.02. Remember, it's all about what you want, and you never know.....innovation comes from ideas like that.
You missed the wheelchair part.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if you couldn't incorporate a cruise control column or just the steering wheel and use those controls for the H/Low switch. Might have to change out the turn signal sw and use a relay but that wouldn't be too hard..... FMC400 would know.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the floor pans rotted out to the point the dimmer switch had nothing to mount to on my 75, I just hung it over the light switch on the dash... There is enough harness there to do it. The whole switch fits in my hand... You could possibly rewire it to a two-position toggle and mount it up on the dash somewhere as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Could you move it up to the dash,,,? Just extend the wires,,, use a thumb or finger,,, the wheelchair something new and permanent? Not meanin to pry,,, didn't think about your avatar till just now,,,, DOH again,,,

Originally Posted by stang_me1990
in a wheelchair now or it would be stayin on the floor

Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
wouldn't be too hard to put a single pole single throw (SPST) switch on the dash and run the headlight wires down at the switch through a single pole double throw (SPDT) relay (40 or 50 amp) to make it work.

run 12 volts to the the 85 pole on the relay through the SPST switch on the dash, and then ground the 86 pole on the relay.

hook the 12v coming from your headlight switch that runs your headlights to the 30 pole on the relay

hook your low beam wire up to the 87a pole and the high beam to the 87 pole on the relay.

short version:

SPST switch off on the dash, headlight switch on:
power runs from the headlight switch, thru the 30 and 87a on the relay, and the low beams come on.

SPST swtich "on" on the dash, headlight swtich on:
Power from the SPST switch powerd the relay coil and connects the 30 and 87 pole on the relay, power runs from the headlight switch, thru the 30 and 87 on the relay, and the high beams go on.

I would power the SPST switch off the running lights, so that the relay can only energize when the headlights are on.

sounds more complicated than it is. this is all the foot switch does to toggle between high and low beams, just one wire in and two wires out. we are just changing the way it gets the job done.

not sure if that makes any sense or not.....

Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Tuxedocat
New User
Originally Posted by 78fourby4f250
I dont know a good way to get it on the column but I have plans on mine to just run wires to the dash and put a switch on the dash.
I thought about that too. I am going to mount the wires to a toggle swich and mount it all to the middle console. Anybody got any ideas of what kind of toggle switch I use for my 1983 F-350?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would order one of the steering wheel switch kits for drag cars from summit, they have what looks like the old (to most of us) telephone handset wires, all coiled up, with a switch that mounts to your wheel. may have to run a latching relay since I think they are probably set up for momentary push but not sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
stang_me1990
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
Could you move it up to the dash,,,? Just extend the wires,,, use a thumb or finger,,, the wheelchair something new and permanent? Not meanin to pry,,, didn't think about your avatar till just now,,,, DOH again,,,
Nope been in it forever, since 98, maybe just seems like forever. Ha.

I was thinking a nice looking latching push button would work and mount it over by the wipers. Just prefer the looks of a button over the toggle but a nice short toggle with the rubber boot on it would prolly not be an eye sore.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
stang_me1990
Junior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I would order one of the steering wheel switch kits for drag cars from summit, they have what looks like the old (to most of us) telephone handset wires, all coiled up, with a switch that mounts to your wheel. may have to run a latching relay since I think they are probably set up for momentary push but not sure.
I know what you are talking about, the ole quick detach steering wheels had that setup a lot. I am searching for a small latching switch right now. I installed some 1/4" diameter switches in the handlebars on my trike that needed the latching relay so I will more than likely do that if I cant find a nice looking small latching switch.

Quick Reply: highbeam dimmer switch relocation