6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 reliability and longevity

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Jason Szotko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 reliability and longevity

Seriously considering moving from my chevy 2500 6.0 gasser to a diesel truck. The chevy is rusting out badly and only gets 10mpg at the most due to the 4:11 towing gears, so I am wanting to upgrade slightly. This truck would be used daily for my HVAC business so reliability and longevity are a serious concern. My budget really only allows for a purchase of a used diesel around at least 6 or 7 years old. I really like the looks and performance of the Ford super duty, but I have been told by a few people to stay away from the 6.0 diesel. I am looking for opinions about trucks/engines of this era. I don't want to make a purchase of something that can turn into a nightmare of repairs and down time. Not looking to mod this truck, just wanting a solid reliable daily driver that can handle my job trailer and tools. Any advice on what to look for or expect in a truck around 2005 to 2007 with around 75k to 125k miles on it. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE Jason Since you will not be towing hundreds of miles and for a business, I would look at the V-10 to be honest. If you want a diesel, check the history through OASIS at the Ford dealer. OASIS will show any warranty repairs that were performed, out of warranty would be buyer beware.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
your on a diesel site about fords, on a forum about 6.0's . most of us love them but there may be a bias do to the above.
all diesels in the 6.0 eara have issues. as well as the next gen engines. the one currently doing the best are the latist and greatist.
as far as ford/navastar goes IMO the 6.0 is the less of all evils. I personal love mine and its been good to me.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Two words, statements, of caution. The 6.0 does not like short grocery getter type trips. It is also mandatory to strictly adhere to maint. schedules and use only OEM filters and recommended fluids. It loves to work hard and hates to loaf around. Think about how your going to use her.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest thing about the 6.0s that will help you in reliability is become familiar with the newer diesels. The 6.0 has the least amount of "new" tech and it's only going to get worse with later engines.

I still maintain the belief that the worst enemy with the 6.0 is ignorance. Either owner or tech.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The guys are being realistic and telling you straight up. The 6.0L is a good engine once you understand how to maintain and use it. The HVAC business is not really about towing across the country and heavy hauling.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM
05 f250 6 inch lift
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 6.0L is a great engine. It does have it short coming but they are fixable. An if it's maintained properly it will last ALONG time. One guy on here posted a picture of his odometer. It showed 500,000 miles an still running strong.

If your looking for a low maintains daily driver. You may want to look at a 7.3L.
But whatever you do get. Stuff will always break an need fixing no matter what you drive.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM
miner999r
Tuned
I should have got a gas powered truck. I thought I would do more camper / trailer towing but plans didn't work out. These motors or any modern diesel in my opinion are made for working and putting on lots of miles in a short period of time. My truck runs great but very minimal short trips, mostly highway with relatively long / speedy runs and I avoid idling like the plague. So I have a nice truck but it is not the proper truck for my use. Love the power and decent fuel economy - really love it with a load and pulling.

40 years in the mines - I guess I have to do another 10.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Why does everyone always say avoid short trips and idling? These engines are used on worksites all over the place idling for long periods and short drives here and there.... put a high idle mod on it if the idle bothers you and I just don't see how short trips are going to expedite the possible failure. Anyone have proof of these things causing issues?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Ford has done a LOT of software upgrades to try to improve the 6.0L reliability. MANY of these addressed things like the EGR valve operation at idle, the turbo vanes cycling when starting up and idling, etc. All if this is because it is absolutely a fact that carbon is generated (incomplete combustion) when the engine is not fully up to temp. Excessive carbon in the turbo can cause the vanes to stick and an overboost to occur. Carbon in the EGR system can cause the EGR valve to hang up and can further magnify poor combustion issues. Carbon in the intake can cause other problems.

Bottom line is that the EGR system and VGT system has made it more important to operate your engine at proper temperatures vs frequent short trips. How many issues and the severity will vary, but it is BEST to operate these trucks on long trips when fully heat saturated.

Also - this 2006 6.0L has been the best truck I have owned. Been very reliable (at 110k miles).

Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problematic items are the vanes in the turbo, and the EGR valve, if the engine in question still has it.

The turbo vanes tend to stick if not driven fairly hard. The exhaust side of the turbo doesn't get hot enough to burn off the excess carbon from unburnt fuel, and the vanes either stick in place, or if they don't hard-stick, they suffer from a severely reduced range of motion. If the vanes stick closed, the engine suffers from an overboost condition; if they stick open, it suffers from an underboost condition.

The EGR valve will also become covered in the same unburnt fuel and get gummed up. Then it sticks open, giving continuous EGR feed when not requested.

Documented multiple times here, with pics.

Even if you DO drive many short trips, one long and hot trip per week will go a long way towards absolving your engine of the short-trip sins.

The 6.0 is the first in the "This is not your Father's Diesel Engine" line of engines under the new EPA regs of 2000+.

Long gone are the days when you could expect the engine to happily burn whatever crap you came across, going 20K miles on an oil change and never so much as burping, much less having injector or turbo issues. If you're not OCD (or close) on maintenance, you probably won't be happy with a 6.0.

-blaine

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comparing the competition and knowing what I know now about the 6 liter, I'd buy another in a New York minute
You get so much truck for the buck. (this is coming from a former 7.3 powerstroke owner.)
I had more issues with my old 7.3L in the first 36k mi. than to date with this 6.0.
Welcome to the 6.0 forum, Jason.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I agree with everything posted by Frankenbiker down to the tee.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Thanks for the tutorial, a lot of good info!

So lets assume short trip driver and frequent idler have deleted the EGR and have an aftermarket turbo installed.... any better now or still issues?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jason Szotko
Seriously considering moving from my chevy 2500 6.0 gasser to a diesel truck. The chevy is rusting out badly and only gets 10mpg at the most due to the 4:11 towing gears, so I am wanting to upgrade slightly. This truck would be used daily for my HVAC business so reliability and longevity are a serious concern. My budget really only allows for a purchase of a used diesel around at least 6 or 7 years old. I really like the looks and performance of the Ford super duty, but I have been told by a few people to stay away from the 6.0 diesel. I am looking for opinions about trucks/engines of this era. I don't want to make a purchase of something that can turn into a nightmare of repairs and down time. Not looking to mod this truck, just wanting a solid reliable daily driver that can handle my job trailer and tools. Any advice on what to look for or expect in a truck around 2005 to 2007 with around 75k to 125k miles on it. Thanks for any help.
as a sparky talking to a tin knocker, i'd look at the V-10.

my 2006 went without a hiccup for 91K miles. then, well, it didn't go
so well. i just changed fluids at intervals, not knowing that there are
some very small mistakes that can be made unwittingly that have huge
consequences.

my pass thru the engine, fixing it so it'll run the rest of the time i
need a work van, was a smidge over $10,000

few months out of warranty. the bill was all mine.

Quick Reply: 6.0 reliability and longevity