1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

EOT questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a meter on the EOT sensor and I get no signal. Is it possible to get no signal and not get a CEL?

-Joseph

Old 05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What do you mean by "no signal"? What were you measuring?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
I was trying to measure volts. I put the probes on each terminal and it just stayed at 0. I would have thought it would have atleast beeped at me like when you touch the probes together and it reads 0. I guess maybe I didn't have them on the contacts in the sensor? It is a pain to get to but I was 99% sure I was making contact with each of the terminals in the sensor. I had my head against the part of the turbo that the exhaust comes together at to drive the turbo(what is the correct name for that part?) and I could clearly see I was touching one of the terminals and was sure I felt the terminal I couldn't see clearly and the meter didn't make a noise or move. Is there a trick to removing the sensor with out having half the HPOP resi spilling oil on to everything? I think it would be best to pull the sensor and bench test it.

-Joseph

Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hussler

So, just in case nobody has noticed, I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to the various acronyms for these motors. Sad to say, that is about where my wrenching ability lies as well. Having said that, I noticed when somebody was replacing the injectors (that would be me) they had removed the boost hose from the part going into the turbo, opposite the end of the hose showing in the picture. When reassembling, they just pushed the hose back on the barb but never put the clamp back on. Could this be any sort of contributing factor? Thanks.

-Joseph

Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutch Semi
I was trying to measure volts. I put the probes on each terminal and it just stayed at 0. I would have thought it would have atleast beeped at me like when you touch the probes together and it reads 0. I guess maybe I didn't have them on the contacts in the sensor? It is a pain to get to but I was 99% sure I was making contact with each of the terminals in the sensor. I had my head against the part of the turbo that the exhaust comes together at to drive the turbo(what is the correct name for that part?) and I could clearly see I was touching one of the terminals and was sure I felt the terminal I couldn't see clearly and the meter didn't make a noise or move. Is there a trick to removing the sensor with out having half the HPOP resi spilling oil on to everything? I think it would be best to pull the sensor and bench test it.

-Joseph
Well you're connecting the meter correctly but it will need to be set to the ohms setting to get the reading. There is no voltage at the sensor with the key off and the electrical connector unplugged, so you need to measure the resistance, in ohms, through the sensor.

Originally Posted by Dutch Semi
So, just in case nobody has noticed, I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to the various acronyms for these motors. Sad to say, that is about where my wrenching ability lies as well. Having said that, I noticed when somebody was replacing the injectors (that would be me) they had removed the boost hose from the part going into the turbo, opposite the end of the hose showing in the picture. When reassembling, they just pushed the hose back on the barb but never put the clamp back on. Could this be any sort of contributing factor? Thanks.

-Joseph
I doubt that has anything to do with your issue unless the hose fits the sensor really loose, but it would be best to put the clamp back on the hose.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Codycamp
New User
I am having the same problem with my 2000 7.3 I replaced all my injectors, glow plugs and glow plug relay did you ever find out what was causing the smoke

Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Codycamp
I am having the same problem with my 2000 7.3 I replaced all my injectors, glow plugs and glow plug relay did you ever find out what was causing the smoke
Maybe its just cold, see if your problem clears in spring

Dont be afraid to open your own thread. This is almost 3 years old.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Codycamp
New User
It's been doing it for awhile now even when it's 90 degrees outside it just clears up a lot sooner