How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Can't enter programming mode for new keyfob

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Freshman User

Patriot_RAM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't enter programming mode for new keyfob

Hey Guys,

I did a search here and on Google and didn't see anything with the exact symptom that I'm having.

I have a new keyfob for my wife's 2000 X, and I'm trying to program it. The procedure is simple, right? Get in the truck, put the key in the ignition, lock the doors, unlock the doors, then cycle it to the run position (back of off), 8 times -- staying in "run" the eighth time.

I've done this OVER and OVER after my wife said it wouldn't work for her. The problem is that when you hit run the 8th time, the locks should cycle, indicating that it is ready to program the remote. The problem is the locks never cycle.

I also tried the same procedure without the locking and unlocking step prior to turning the key. And I also tried it by locking and unlocking prior to inserting the key.

Seems simple, any idea why it won't work? I can't find ANYthing regarding other people with this problem.

TIA!

Patriot_RAM
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
PR, I'm not sure where you read to lock/unlock the doors first, but that step is unnecessary. And just to confirm, this is the procedure you're using, correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To program the transmitters yourself:

1. Insert a key in the ignition and without starting your car, turn the key from OFF to ON eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the ON position.

2. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that programming mode has been entered.

3. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on the transmitter. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure must be repeated.

4. Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.

5. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to OFF, or just wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stewart
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Freshman User

That is correct. No matter how cleanly I go from off to run eight times within ten seconds, step two never happens.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Do you have a custom tune flashed on to your PCM or a chip installed on your PCM?

Stewart
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Freshman User

It does. I can't remember which one the previous owner had, but he let it go with the truck. Seems like its a blue plastic programmer in a black plastic case.

Do I need to set it back to stock to program the keyfob?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
I thought it was 10 times, and not 8? Maybe I'm thinking it was for my other vehicle.

Anyways, if you're programming an additional fob and you already have a working one, you will need to program both back in when you do this.

Cycle the ignition as described. Locks will lock/unlock showing program mode.
Push any button on the fob. Locks will lock/unlock telling you it accepted.
Then, push any button on the working fob and locks will lock/unlock again showing it accepted it.

When you're programming, it will erase all previous fobs. That's why you'll need to program the original as well. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_RAM View Post
It does. I can't remember which one the previous owner had, but he let it go with the truck. Seems like its a blue plastic programmer in a black plastic case.

Do I need to set it back to stock to program the keyfob?

Thanks!
Based on my experience, yes.

Is it an installed chip, or a flash programmer?

Stewart
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Freshman User

It's a flash programmer, so I guess that makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Freshman User

I just reverted back to stock and still can't get the X to enter programming mode. I'm cycling the key from off to run eight times in ten seconds or less. Seems like a simple procedure, but the locks never cycle.

The programmer is an Edge Evolution. I guess returning to stock on the programmer may not be 100% stock?

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

And you're following the directions I posted above EXACTLY? You're ending the key turns in the "on" position?

Stewart
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Freshman User

Absolutely!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_RAM View Post
Absolutely!
Ugh.

Sorry my friend. The only time I've had a problem was when I had a chip on my F250.

I still have a chip of my Ex but haven't experienced any problems.

Stewart
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Freshman User

I may give Edge a call this week and see if they can offer some insight. I don't know if it's related or not, but it certainly couldn't hurt to ask!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior User

saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.
Did you have a working keyfob before this new one? Do you have a keypad on the drivers door (keyless entry)?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Would your Edge have to be removed to do it?