6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Titan 50 Gal Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
wheelz3333
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titan 50 Gal Fuel Tank

Well i just got through getting the Upfitter switches intalled on the weekend and it sure was a job for someone with small hands. Lots of cursing and cramped hands but the job is done. Next was just about to put the credit card down on a Titan 50 Gal Tank with Shield but have two questions about them. First thing is I heard that there is lot of sloshing noise/ feel with the tank and secondly I have heard that there is no heat shield close to the the high temperature area where the Regen system heats up. Anyone with an install familiar with either of these issues? I couldn't dig up anything definatively in my research.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Can't answer your questions, but have heard of issues with the titan tank holding water on top and allowing water to contaminate the fuel. If the WIF light doesn't happen to come on and catch the water, lots of bad, very expensive things can happen.

Might want to add that to your search list and figure out how to waterproof the top side of the tank.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was one of the very first adoptees of the 50 gallon Titan tank. I have put over 45000 miles on the truck with the Titan tank. Properly installed, just follow the instructions carefully, it is a great addition to the trucks arsenal. The water issue has been overblown by some who use it as a defense for Ford's deplorable warranty policy regarding 6.7 HPFP replacements.

I have a Titan tank and have experienced the HPFP failure and all of Ford's shameful behaviour regarding warranty coverage. Of all the reasons Ford used to weasel out of warranting my repair, the Titan tank was never considered as the cause. All parties were aware of the installation of the Titan tank...but it was never mentioned in any of the many discussions with Ford, two dealers and myself as a reason for the failure.

If you need the extra fuel capacity, it is a great product

Regards

Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
I was one of the very first adoptees of the 50 gallon Titan tank. I have put over 45000 miles on the truck with the Titan tank. Properly installed, just follow the instructions carefully, it is a great addition to the trucks arsenal. The water issue has been overblown by some who use it as a defense for Ford's deplorable warranty policy regarding 6.7 HPFP replacements.

I have a Titan tank and have experienced the HPFP failure and all of Ford's shameful behaviour regarding warranty coverage. Of all the reasons Ford used to weasel out of warranting my repair, the Titan tank was never considered as the cause. All parties were aware of the installation of the Titan tank...but it was never mentioned in any of the many discussions with Ford, two dealers and myself as a reason for the failure.

If you need the extra fuel capacity, it is a great product

Regards
I travel quite a bit and I have been stopping into ford dealers and asking the service managers if they have had any HPFP failures and if they were covered. One manager in Parker AZ, told me he had not had any failures but if he did and there was ant modification to the fuel system like a tank or a filter Ford would void the warranty

This guy did not seem to be very experienced, he was young for a service MGR. He went so fare as to tell me the only way a larger tank would not void the warranty is if you put an RDS style bed tank in and used a fuel pump and nozzle like a service station to pump the fuel from the bed tank to the standard tank. I almost had to chuckle but I kept a straight face and left! As in ricks case the dealer does matter. You need to be dealing with a good and knowledgeable shop. Per the Magnuson Moss Act it would be the responsibility of Ford to prove the tank did something to your HPFP.

I am considering a titan myself but I will speak to my servicing dealer first just to make sure he is on my side. If not I will find a different dealer!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Can't answer your questions, but have heard of issues with the titan tank holding water on top and allowing water to contaminate the fuel. If the WIF light doesn't happen to come on and catch the water, lots of bad, very expensive things can happen.

Might want to add that to your search list and figure out how to waterproof the top side of the tank.
You don't have to waterproof the tank. Just install it correctly.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only run two tanks of Diesel through my Titan tank.
No sloshing noticed and I do alot of stop and go driving in SoCal.

The only way I could see water being able to get into the fuel is if you do NOT have the tank installed correctly. I think you would have a better chance of getting water in to the fuel while filling up in the rain than it getting into the Titan Tank any other way.
I do NOT see how Ford could claim a Titan sealed tank allowed water into the fuel system. Time to find a new dealer if they are going to claiming this.

I would rate the Titan Tank install as easier than the Upfitter switches to install.

_

Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a 50 gal. Titan. The only issue that I had was a "skrunch" sound when turning a corner. I have the optional shield that was installed without the rubber bushings. To repair the installation, Titan sent me the rubbers and told me to install them along with the shield. No "skrunch" now but if I had to do it over I would skip the shield altogether.

I hear no fuel sloshing from the tank, but I drive gently and nowhere near the Left Coast.

When installing the flange on the top of the tank, please follow the instructions to the letter. I would call Titan and ask if a bit of fuel resistant sealant might be used as an added precaution to doubly seal the flange.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
OldGreaser
New User
I have been running a 65 gallon Titan for a year. I did not install it myself so can't address any installation issues or details. I've never seen any significant water in my separator and the truck is running well at 33k miles. The only issue I had was when I parked nose down on a steep hill with very few gallons in the tank, maybe 5. I could not start until I added another 7 gallons or so. The tank works as advertised and has not confused my 'miles to empty' computer.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The 65 gallon tank may be different. The 50 gallon tank has a large recess around the fuel pickup in the top of the tank. This recess would hold a cup of water and may be there for days giving ample time to leak into the tank if the seal were less than perfect.

The miles to empty cannot be correct if you change the tank size. I had mine changed by the dealer.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM
SARGE/AF
Senior User
This is why I am considering have a fuel tank built to fit in the front of the bed and it will add an additional 60 gal..
I am also going to put a pump and filters on it and just fill the OEM tank with a nosil.

Sarge

Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
OldGreaser
New User
I won't say my 'miles to empty' is correct, just that it hasn't caused any issues or warning codes. I got the software patch from Titan but chose not to have Ford install it. The displayed figure is maybe +/- 50 miles and it varies. If I get out on the highway and my calculated mileage goes up, the miles to empty figure starts to climb as well.
I don't know if the 65 gallon tank has a different shape or not, never saw it until it was installed. Anyway, no problems thus far.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 PM
btritschler1437
New User
Had a Titan 50 installed in December by Ford dealer. They flashed the DTE, it works right on. Dealer said since they installed it, they would warranty the install. The tech that did the job said it was the 3rd one he did. After 6,000 miles no problem. Diesel now at 3.71 a gallon in SW Fla.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
this 65 gal tank you guys are referring to... i cant seem to find any info on it. i see a 67 gal tank on titans site, but it doesnt say whether or not it fits the 2011-12 trucks.

as for having ford install it, what did that cost you?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
this 65 gal tank you guys are referring to... i cant seem to find any info on it. i see a 67 gal tank on titans site, but it doesnt say whether or not it fits the 2011-12 trucks.

as for having ford install it, what did that cost you?

I have the 67 gal Titan tank....Installed about 18 months ago....Installed it myself (Look for Epic's video in the tech files) and it took about 3 hours....I don't have a lift, so I used my motorcycle lift to lower the old tank and raise the new one....I have not had any water in the tank at all, I check it roughly once a month....Sloshing, yeah a little bit, only if you really buck the truck....In my opinion, it is a very good product.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely has me intrigued. But only if i knew for sure i could get the MTE to be calibrated for that size as well as having an accurate fuel guage. Install seems easy enough

Quick Reply: Titan 50 Gal Fuel Tank